• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Typhon1390

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Virginia Beach, VA
    So I was driving home tonight, from the shooting range actually, and I got pulled over by a Tippecanoe County Sheriff's Deputy. I was in a 55 zone and had been behind 2 vehicles that were making a point of doing 30 side by side and catching every light.. So when I got the opportunity I shot between them and up to 75 when I noticed flashers kick on a few cars back. When he got up to my window he started with the usual "How are you tonight?". With both hands on the steering wheel, I informed him I had a loaded handgun on my right hip. I know I'm not required to do this, but I figure it's in both our interest to avoid surprises. He asked if I planned on shooting him with it, of course I answered no, and he said it was fine there for now. He informed me that I had both tail lights out in addition to "driving like a bat out of hell". So I figured I was at least getting a speeding ticket.

This next part I know tons of you will have a problem with, but if I were a cop I'd do the same thing. When he went back to run my license and registration he had me empty my gun and hand it to him. When he got back he handed me my weapon broken down to the barrel, recoil spring, slide, and frame. He admitted that he'd have been frustrated with the people in front of me as well and said that I'd handled myself well. He said he'd pull off and I could do whatever I needed to with my gun..not even giving me a warning. He was polite and courteous the entire time and to me, handled the situation perfectly.

Now I know some people have a problem with informing police you're armed, much less having your weapon taken apart, but I wouldn't expect anything otherwise. Like anyone else, they want to go home tonight, and in their position turning your back on someone with a loaded gun doesn't seem too bright to me either. This was the first time I've been pulled over carrying, and it was a positive experience reaffirming my respect for police after some of the posts I've read on here.

Last edited:

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    IC 35-43-4-3
    Conversion
    Sec. 3. (a) A person who knowingly or intentionally exerts unauthorized control over property of another person commits criminal conversion, a Class A misdemeanor.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Congrats on not getting a ticket... and it was nice of the LEO to give you a break.

Regardless of folks' opinion of informing an officer, why in the heck would he break it down like that? What's the point?

Maybe to make sure you couldn't turn it on him after he gave it back? :dunno:

Typhon1390

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I would assume he disassembled it so I couldn't slide the mag in and chamber a round as soon as he turned his back. Whether he has the right to do that or not, I'm fine with it. Events have shown the necessity of taking every precaution even on routine traffic stops.

And lol, firing pin is still there..but that would be pretty slick thing to do. No need to hand it back in pieces then either..

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    IC 35-43-4-3
    Conversion
    Sec. 3. (a) A person who knowingly or intentionally exerts unauthorized control over property of another person commits criminal conversion, a Class A misdemeanor.
    Rep for finding that. +1

I would assume he disassembled it so I couldn't slide the mag in and chamber a round as soon as he turned his back. Whether he has the right to do that or not, I'm fine with it. Events have shown the necessity of taking every precaution even on routine traffic stops.

I have to ask, what sort of paranoid freak would think you are going to shoot him in the back after getting all your information, letting you go with no tickets and giving back your property?

Honestly. what sort of degenerate, backwards mind would even consider that as remotely possible?

The only time I ever notified a LEO I was carrying it was a huge ordeal. Long story short, I was disarmed and after much questioning they determined I wasn't a criminal and we BS'ed on the side of the road for quite a while.

I returned to my car as the two deputies returned to their cars to finish the warning.

Upon return the deputy hands me my USP and a warning while the other deputy hands my girlfriend the empty mag and a handful of ammo from the passenger side. This is AFTER finding out (and checking my ID to verify) I was a Firefighter in the next county.

Honestly, how many Firefighters shoot a cop after getting a warning and carrying on a 15~ minutes pleasant conversation?

If you live in that much fear, you need to find another line of work.

+1 to the deputy for the rest of the encounter, -1 for living in such fear. I can see returning it with the mag out (aside from the initial wrong doing of taking it to begin with) , but to strip it to pieces? B.S.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Geez, the op states that he "shot between them and up to 75 mph" & "had both tail lights out in addition to "driving like a bat out of hell"

Well let's see the officer could have done......

Written him up for reckless driving because the shot between the cars could have been construed as that, taken him to jail and had his vehicle towed....

Written him up for his tail lights being out....

Written him up for a 75 in a 55, or....

ALL OF THE ABOVE!!!

Instead, this so called Jack Boot thug let him off with out even a warning.

Granted I might have been a little peeved, that is until I realized that this JBT just let me off the hook on everything that could have cost me SEVERAL THOUSAND $$$, along with the life long increase in insurance rates.

So how about you guys stop and think a little bit, want what happened to the OP and get off scott free, or be twisted like a pretzel and out a ton of $$$'s to boot.

Can't some of you guys just try and let it rest for ONE week?

I'm tired of hearing about this anti LEO crap, you girlie guys need to get a life and moved to someplace where your rights can be really trashed on a daily basis, then you just might realize just how darn good it is here.
    :ranton:

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Can't some of you guys just try and let it rest for ONE week?

I'm tired of hearing about this anti LEO crap, you girlie guys need to get a life and moved to someplace where your rights can be really trashed on a daily basis, then you just might realize just how darn good it is here.
    :ranton:

I guess when someone does post a thread/comment where the cop does act appropriately?

OK. The guy got off without a ticket. That's ok in my book, I guess. Officer's discretion and all that.

But why did he need to break-down the guy's handgun? What would he do if he'd happened to drop/lose one of the parts? "Gee, sorry. My bad!" Seems like a totally unnecessary action and falls in the realm of harrassment to me. Not a good exercise of Officer's discretion.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    OP was happy with the experience, that's all that matters. :yesway:

I don't understand breaking down the gun either, but again, the OP didn't seem to be too upset over it. At this point in my "INGO career," I expected the rest of the posts. :ingo:

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    OP was happy with the experience, that's all that matters. :yesway:

I don't understand breaking down the gun either, but again, the OP didn't seem to be too upset over it. At this point in my "INGO career," I expected the rest of the posts. :ingo:

Even your own?
    :):

schapm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    I am glad you felt it was a "good experience" but I have one question. Why did you feel the need to tell the officer you had a firearm? Were you asked?

From the Indiana State Police Firearms FAQ

If approached by law enforcement for official business such as traffic stops or complaint related inquiries, it is recommended that you tell the officer in a non-threatening manner that you are carrying a weapon or have a weapon in the vehicle and that you have a valid permit.

The one time I've been pulled over since I started carrying, I informed the deputy also. He did not care and did not confiscate my pistols, but I wanted to do the right thing. I respect the police and the dangerous job they do, and I suspect my motivation and the OP's motivation for informing the deputy were very similar.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    rickyjohnson111
    Top Bottom