• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mfrobert

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Hey Guys/Gals - - Just wanted to share a quick positive experience I had during a traffic stop yesterday. I was pulled over for speeding (51 in a 35), I immediately rolled down my window and put my hands on the steering wheel. The officer approached the car cautiously as they always do and asked for my license. As I reached for my wallet I stated that I had a concealed carry permit. The officer didn't miss a beat, he thanked me for letting him know and said "keep your gun where it is and we won't have a problem." Surprisingly the traffic stop was probably less than 3 minutes long and I was on my way.

Observations:
    -Being pulled over for the first time with a firearm is just as or even more frightening than your first traffic stop
    -I was incredibly lucky to have been pulled over by an officer who was very respectful and saw my honesty as a positive and not a threat
    -My first reaction when getting pulled over was, please don't let this traffic stop take hours, please don't let me get shot, please don't let my gun get confiscated :)

The end.

M

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    Glad to hear you had a good experience. There are good and bad police, probably more good than bad. Were you open carrying? Just curious why you brought it up unless you were.

Last edited:

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    FYI: Indiana does not have a duty to inform. Doesn't stop the wife either, but I tell her it really depends on the jurisdiction/department on whether informing would cause a problem or not.

You should have blown a raspberry and made a kissy face at them...

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Glad to hear you had a good experience. There are good and bad police, probably more good than bad. Were you open carrying? Just curious why you brought it up unless you were.

Obviously not. He has a concealed carry permit! Where do I get one of those?

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    I am by no means trying to slam you mfrobert, just asking a real question. Since Indiana does not have a duty to inform, I probably wouldn't unless it was visible. Do what works for you, I was just curious as to your reasons as well as others.

sleepey7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2014
    indianapolis
    I've only been pulled over once since I started carrying this year i put my hands on the steering well and told the officer have a license to carry a firearm and I told him where it was the only reason why I do is because its visible when standing at the driver side window told the officer told him where it was he said yes it is I said if you wanted I could step out of the vehicle so he could feel safer he said thats fine hey remind drivers license and my permit tell me my plates are expired and let me go

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I've only been pulled over once since I started carrying this year i put my hands on the steering well and told the officer have a license to carry a firearm and I told him where it was the only reason why I do is because its visible when standing at the driver side window told the officer told him where it was he said yes it is I said if you wanted I could step out of the vehicle so he could feel safer he said thats fine hey remind drivers license and my permit tell me my plates are expired and let me go

Sleepey,

As a suggestion, if you will use punctuation and capitaliztion it will make your posts easier to read.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    OP, what police department was the officer from? Glad to hear it went well. You should write in or call and give positive feedback.

Also curious why you call your permit a "concealed" permit? I'm not yanking your chain, rather just trying to educate if you didn't realize Indiana law is silent on the open/concealed part which makes both legal.

minx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    SW Indiana
    INGO sticker on my car = LEO informed. Yet I have not been pulled over in 20 years, and I frequently 5-10 over.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Hey Guys/Gals - - Just wanted to share a quick positive experience I had during a traffic stop yesterday. I was pulled over for speeding (51 in a 35), I immediately rolled down my window and put my hands on the steering wheel. The officer approached the car cautiously as they always do and asked for my license. As I reached for my wallet I stated that I had a concealed carry permit. The officer didn't miss a beat, he thanked me for letting him know and said "keep your gun where it is and we won't have a problem." Surprisingly the traffic stop was probably less than 3 minutes long and I was on my way.

Observations:
    -Being pulled over for the first time with a firearm is just as or even more frightening than your first traffic stop
    -I was incredibly lucky to have been pulled over by an officer who was very respectful and saw my honesty as a positive and not a threat
    -My first reaction when getting pulled over was, please don't let this traffic stop take hours, please don't let me get shot, please don't let my gun get confiscated :)

The end.

M

mfrogert,

After reading your post I am curious about a few things. It seems that you were very concerned about the possible interaction with law enforcement because you were in possession of a firearm. I question why you were anxious about what might occur. Quite frankly, your statement you were thankful you didn't get shot nor the gun confiscated puzzles me. What would cause you to even think you might get shot or the gun confiscated ? Is that mindset the result of posts on INGO relating to negative interaction with law enforcement ?

If I felt that a simple traffic stop for speeding might end up in a firefight with a police officer I might have to rethink the whole "carry" activity. Not trying to criticize, just offering an observation.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Whenever I've been stopped, I don't bring up weapons unless asked.
    And then, only what is within my reach and an actual potential threat to the officer.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    mfrogert,

After reading your post I am curious about a few things. It seems that you were very concerned about the possible interaction with law enforcement because you were in possession of a firearm. I question why you were anxious about what might occur. Quite frankly, your statement you were thankful you didn't get shot nor the gun confiscated puzzles me. What would cause you to even think you might get shot or the gun confiscated ? Is that mindset the result of posts on INGO relating to negative interaction with law enforcement ?

If I felt that a simple traffic stop for speeding might end up in a firefight with a police officer I might have to rethink the whole "carry" activity. Not trying to criticize, just offering an observation.

If he spends any time in the politics thread it might be.

Mfrobert, don't you know you're supposed to call them Nazi storm troopers or KGB and complain about why they're stopping you for no good reason and not out arresting "real" criminals?? Just don't let it happen again... :):

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I also was stopped for speeding by State. I was also carrying (ankle).
    When he asked for my license. I handed him my carry permit at the same time.
    He looked it over for a couple minutes.Then he asked where.
    I told him.
    He said do not make any moves towards it.
    I said I will not even scratch my nose.
    He laughed.
    He handed me back the permit and thanked me.
    When he returned from his squad car. he handed me a warning ticket.
    Then he asked what I was up to today.
    I said I was going to a gun show.
    He asked if I was going to sell the carry gun.
    I said NO I was looking for something special.
    He said, well have a good day and slow down.

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    It doesn't matter if you tell the officer or not, he/she will find out about the LTCH from dispatch when they call your drivers license in.

mfrobert

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Hey all, sorry for the delay in responding had a long day. I'll do my best to hit on the questions asked:

-The officer was IMPD

-My firearm was concealed

-I informed the officer I was carrying because I was unaware that I didn't have to

-My fear of a long traffic stop and being shot comes from a number of stories over the years, additionally gun crime is at what seems an all time high in Indianapolis and I can only imagine officers are more on edge than ever before. Several years ago my father and I were pulled over and had a terrible interaction with a Louisville police officer where my dad was pulled out of the car and screamed at after informing them of his LTCH. While you can't always trust what you read on the internet, the common census among many people I trust and respect is to inform the officer when you are pulled over.

Hopefully I hit most of your questions. . .

M

Top Bottom