• ...and so much more!
  • ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Near ridge rd on I65. officer had his gun in the ready and his first question was do you have your gun. They run your plate and they know if you have a LTCH. The officer did not make a big deal about it but if they run your plate they know.

I don't care if they know I'm licensed or not, I would not answer that question. They need to reholster their gun and move on to the reason for my detainment or get used to frustration.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Been a long time for me; I've mellowed in my driving with old age and learning to drive the bus. I like to find a good place to park out of traffic, so the officer doesn't have that to deal with. I take the opportunity after I stop but before he arrives at my side to dig out my license and registration, lay them on the dash in front of me, and place both hands on the wheel. That way I don't have to make any potentially suspicious movements. If he asks, I'll say yes, if he asks where, I'll tell him. I won't consent to a search.

I do have a question, though. The driver side window on the chicken is stuck in the UP position, and it can't be opened. I'd inform the officer and let him know either he had to go to the other side, or I would have to open the door. I do need to fix it, but until then, is this my best approach?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    Glad this guy had a good experience. However, my "strategy" on this is to not inform unless I believe the officer has or will see my gun. Will my experience be bad if I do inform? Probably not. However, if the officer never knows then the likelihood of a bad experience goes way down. However, if I am asked to leave my vehicle I would probably at that point inform.

One of the main reason I do not think informing is a good idea is because of the many stories of officers who feel they must "run" your gun if they find out about it. If they take your gun and call in the serial number then you pretty much just registered it with the police. Also, if you don't like others knowing you carry you might be outed by those listening to scanner traffic. Then there is the issue of possible legal trouble. I'm sure most of us here are fully confident we are not violating any law but why take the chance? Remember, having a handgun on you in Indiana is illegal (in direct violation of the US Constitution) without a LTCH so by declaring you have a handgun you immediately open up yourself to investigation.

Last edited:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Fortunately (at least around here) sensitive personal stuff doesn't go out on a voice channel; it's all digital.

Top Bottom