• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Ok I was wondering if it is technically possible to anodize a firearm. Currently the gun is blued and I know it would have to be blasted to make work but I dont know if you could do that without taking off the S/N. Also would any place in indianapolis anodize a complete pistol or 2? Finally or would it be easier to just duracoat it?

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Most aluminum frames are anodized. I'd think you could do the whole gun but not sure. I think I've seen some in wild colors but my old memory is faltering a lot lately. I would just coat it if it were me though.

Last edited:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    If it's currently blued then you have a firearm made of some sort of carbon steel (not SS). AFAIK, carbon steel cannot be anodized. Anodizing is a process performed on aluminum.

If you want a coating like anodizing then you're probably going to have to go with a baked on high-quality finish like KG gunkote or Cerakote...

purple72

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Charter Arms sells anodized firearms. There is a place on Massachusettes Ave that does plating and anodizing. You might start there. I think they are just east of Emerson Ave.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Anodizing is the buildup of the oxide layer on the metal to make the surface harder and more resistant to corrosion. If it's blued, it's steel (iron alloy), and iron oxide is better known as rust. That hasn't caught on as a finish in the firearms industry for some reason.

Top Bottom