• ...and so much more!
  • spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    Bobcat hunting considered - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

Wondering what some other opinions are? Not really in favor of a season just yet. Numbers are up but I think they could use a couple more years to help them get a better foot hold for maintaining a population. They did a good interview with Charlie Masheck of Hoosier Trapper Supply. I think it is also cool that they used a couple of my trail cam vids in this news segment. You can see my username in the bottom right hand corner. That's why I like Browning Trail cams because you can name your cams. There are some other trail cams you can do this with too.

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Would love to be able to hunt them,but I agree that we should wait another year or two.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    There are quite a few bobcats on my property in Kentucky. I get game camera photos fairly often.

Personally I don't have any interest in hunting them. They aren't over populated and don't provide meat for the freezer like deer. Having said that I am not necessarily against others hunting them.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Yeah, they had a animal rights lady on there (Humane Society).
    If the DNR did a bobcat season, they'd probably monitor it like they do the river otter (hit a certain number, each one checked in- certain number hit- season done).
    So.............what would the season limit be?
    Would it be less than all the domestic cats euthanized by the Humane Society?
    Cats is cats...........or so one would think.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    Pennsylvania has a bob cat season that started out just for trapping and that was on a very limited season. It is a regular season and open for hunting as well now. As the bob cats continue coming north and people start losing their pets occasionally, just like what the yotes do, more people will be open to allowing a hunting season.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    A bobcat season is about 5 years overdue.... so DNR will probably wait another 2 or 3 at least. As with other wild cats, people only ever see a tiny fraction of the population and the tendency is to grossly underestimate the population. Bobcats are established well beyond the core areas where they were re-stocked and it will probably take a pretty substantial harvest quota just to slow the increase let alone stabilize the population.

Porter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2014
    Putnam Co
    Agree with two70 season is overdue. Martin county where we hunt is loaded with cats. Normal to see one or two while sitting in a deer stand, come into coyote calls etc, there is plenty to go around.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Hmm, would it be considered baiting to sit in the woods and simply make the sound of a can opener... sit back and wait forthem to come running to you? :-)

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Nope, but if you sing the meow mix song it is.

Ha! That would make a great meow mix commercial. Video of a hunter demonstrating the different animal calls... dude all camo'd out in the woods... narrator "here we see the hunter using calls. He has selected sounds the animals have developed through evolution to have an irresistible attraction towards. " dude dues turkey to cal in Turkey's, then coyote, then stands up to sing in a loud dramatic way the meow mix jingle and gets bobcat or lion to come out of the woods. "Meow mix,it's what cats crave".

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    Indiana needs to do something. Their numbers are high in my area (Lawrence Co). With game bird populations suffering and the population of the bobcat rising, Indiana is overdue. I have noticed an increase in bobcat and a decline in turkey on my place in the last 8 years. Steve Backs, game bird biologist with the IDNR is begging for a season. I too was told by a CO that 2017 we'll have it in place.

Biologists were amazed at the success of the river otter trapping season, I think they will be with a bobcat season too.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I'm almost ready for one............

Need to move the reddot up about a half inch (cut new slot on base)

H4I461h.jpg

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    No shortage of bobcats around here, might make for an interesting hunt. Wonder when they would set the season.

possumpacker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    parke co

these cats were caught on my predator this past winter. i believe we have enough cats for a limited season, see track and sign almost daily. everybody has trail cam pics also. we still have an unlimited season for grey fox in indiana and i havn't seen one in 25 years and that concerns me more than the bobcat thing.

Top Bottom