• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jaredjosh

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Indy
    I love potato soup and have been making it for years. My recipe consist of potatoes, half and half, chicken broth, onion, Velveeta cheese and BACON! YUM.. But I was thinking of changing it up the next time I make some and was wondering if anyone has a good potato soup recipe they would like to share. I really Like O'Charley's and my recipe comes close but just not quite the same. Anyways if you have a world class potato soup recipe I would really like to hear it.

Thanks and God bless, Jaredjosh

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I love potato soup and have been making it for years. My recipe consist of potatoes, half and half, chicken broth, onion, Velveeta cheese and BACON! YUM.. But I was thinking of changing it up the next time I make some and was wondering if anyone has a good potato soup recipe they would like to share. I really Like O'Charley's and my recipe comes close but just not quite the same. Anyways if you have a world class potato soup recipe I would really like to hear it.

When I read the title of this thread, the O'Charlies' recipe was the first thing to come to mind. I have yet to find a better recipe.

Mine tastes basically identical to O'Cs, but I've never written down what I add/subtract (except I know I use more cheese and a little less half and half than what is called). I'll be making it again in the near future, so I'll keep this thread in mind.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    Powdered instant mashed potatoes will give some extra body and "potato-ey" flavor. Strangely enough a dash or two of tabasco will bring out some additional flavors. I personally would use a better cheese, a nice quality grated cheddar or something similar, but that's just me.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Well, I'm partial to this one:

Cooking with Sun King: Potato Beer Cheese Soup

Posted on January 9, 2012 by Dustin Boyer
    http://sunkingbrewing.com/blog/inde...ng-co-potato-beer-cheese-soup-recipe/#respond
    This hearty soup is a good way to ward off the winter chill, especially if you’re out tailgating in early February. If a certain team from the Land of 10,000 Lakes make it to Super Bowl XLVI you can substitute your favorite Wisconsin cheddar and make this the centerpiece of your party table.
    ½ TBSP Vegetable Oil
    5 Slices Bacon Diced
    1 Medium Yellow Onion Diced
    ½ Celery Stick Diced
    ½ Carrot Diced
    4 Garlic Cloves Diced
    1 Jalapeno Pepper Diced
    1 Serrano Pepper Diced
    1 ½ TBSP Flour
    16 Oz. Wee Mac Scottish Ale (or your favorite malty beer)
    3 LB Yellow Flesh Potatoes Medium Diced
    1 ½ Cups Chicken Stock
    1 ¼ Cups Heavy Cream
    ¾ Cup Milk
    1/3 Cup White Wine Vinegar
    2 TBSP Worcestershire Sauce
    8 Oz. Sharp Cheddar Cheese
    4 Oz. Cream Cheese
    1 TBSP Cumin
    1 TBSP Dry Mustard
    1 TBSP Sugar
    ½ TBSP Paprika
    1 TBSP Fresh Rosemary
    Salt
    Fresh Ground Pepper
    In a 5-8 QT stockpot heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat, 1-2 minutes, until shimmering, add the bacon and cook until crispy. Remove bacon to paper towels and let drain. Add onion to rendered bacon fat and sauté until soft and translucent. Once onion is translucent add carrot, celery, peppers, and garlic cook until soft, about 4-6 minutes. Stir in flour and cook for 2 minutes. Add the beer and blend with an immersion blender until smooth. Add potatoes, chicken stock, heavy cream, milk, vinegar, Worcestershire, both cheeses, spices, and rosemary, bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Simmer over low heat until potatoes are fork tender, about 30-45 minutes. Season with salt & pepper to taste. Top with crispy bacon bits to serve.
    Serves 4-6 people, pair with Wee Mac Scottish Ale or your favorite malty beer.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    When I make it, I keep it fairly simple as potato soup doesn't need much to be good. I don't add cheese (only use shredded cheddar) to it until it is served. Sometimes I'll use whatever onions I've got and sometimes I'll chopped scallions with some sprinkled on the top after it is done but before being served. It always has bacon. The type of potatoes used changes depending on what is on hand with the preferred being red potatoes.

This place has a bunch of really good recipes and some decent ones, haven't really tried any of the potato soups but they have a bunch. Allrecipes - Recipe Search

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Powdered instant mashed potatoes will give some extra body and "potato-ey" flavor. Strangely enough a dash or two of tabasco will bring out some additional flavors. I personally would use a better cheese, a nice quality grated cheddar or something similar, but that's just me.
    This. Also a fair amount of celery salt instead of regular salt. Try using a ham bone for the base stock instead of chicken broth and bacon...I add sour cream at the table but it can be added to the pot too....We're just finishing off the last of my 5gal kettle of venison chili, you've got me going now....

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    That is one of my favs.....but i do not have a good recipe, been looking for ever.

I tried once, came out a bit bland but ate pretty good.

Love cookin....i cook more then my wife does :)

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    This all looks good. My favorite was the navy bean soup my mom made when I was much younger. Always with cornbread.

concrete dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Goshen

My wife would add sausage!

PAMom

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011

What I would make is very similar, except I would use a stronger cheese, some grated carrot and parsley for color and always garlic (which my family loves). Just before serving, I steam dumplings on the top. My MIL was a German cook and never made potato soup without dumplings. My son puts bacon salt on everything so he would add that as well.

Jaredjosh

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Indy
    Thanks for the great suggestions. Looks like I'll be in the kitchen experimenting. I'll let you all know what I come up with.

Top Bottom