Powder load: What's YOUR acceptable variance?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I'm setting up my (new) Hornady LNL AP for a .308 General Purpose recipe. I'm going for 42.0 grains, using IMR 4064.

I know, I know, I know... 4064 makes this question problematic, so ignore the extruded powder debate and stick to the question:

When you're reloading for bulk, not competition, how much variance do you consider acceptable?

After tuning the powder measure, I checked maybe 15 throws on the scale. The variance was anywhere from .2 to .9 grains. This makes me crazy! But I'm trying to remind myself this 200 round batch will be for the Zombie Apocalypse and not a Match Trophy.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Good question, i have been wondering the same myself. I have been trying to stay within .2 -.5 gr range. dont know if this is to much or to little. be nice to hear what some of the more experienced reloaders have to say.

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    depends on what the load is for. my hunting loads for my .358wssm or .44 mag handgun i only accept + or - .1 . does it make a difference? probably not. but when your only loading 50 rounds for your hunting loads why not.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    .2gr, ball or extruded.

That being said, i have my trickle technique down to near science and most of the stuff i load is trickled exactly where I want it, and it doesn't take hardly any more time.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    .2gr, ball or extruded.

That being said, i have my trickle technique down to near science and most of the stuff i load is trickled exactly where I want it, and it doesn't take hardly any more time.

Trickling is disqualified from this question (sorry). Today I was watching a guy pound through .223 rounds on a progressive; there was no measuring individual loads.

This is the root of the question -- powder type aside, how much variation from round to round do you consider acceptable. Right now, I'm looking at nearly 1 grain.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne

^^^^^^^^
    What he said...
    I load 200 to 400 rounds of .308 at a time with all the case prep done ahead and the cases are already primed. I have my Lyman 1200 DPS set to throw 45.9 grains of Varget and then I trickle on my beam scale to 46.0 - no plus or minus. I've got the routine down so that I'm in constant motion - no waiting on the DPS.

I don't break any speed records though. I can load 50 rounds in 50 minutes and then it takes about 10 minutes to get the next 50 cases set up, so it takes me right at 4 hours to load 200 rounds.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Indyjohn, choice of powder, may or may not pose a problem.... I use 3031, and it is real close, to 4064..... If I am "loading" "for pratice" I just use my Lee scoops, after checking on my electronic scale .... and just go for it .... if I am loading for match, I hold a .1 gr tolerance.... I have an occasional "flyer", but I don't worry about it (with the practice loads) ... as far as I know, all my shots hit the target, "somewhere" ... You just have to make up your mind, how accurate you want those loads to be... I put some loads together just to make noise, and a hole in paper, some I am VERY picky about .....
    :twocents: :dunno:

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Trickling is disqualified from this question (sorry). Today I was watching a guy pound through .223 rounds on a progressive; there was no measuring individual loads.

This is the root of the question -- powder type aside, how much variation from round to round do you consider acceptable. Right now, I'm looking at nearly 1 grain.
    1 grain, IMHO, is way too much, unless you don't care where the round impacts the target...

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    some I am VERY picky about .....
    :twocents: :dunno:

Me too. I come from Highpower Rifle competition, so before now, it has always mattered.

1 grain, IMHO, is way too much, unless you don't care where the round impacts the target...

I agree. And The Crazed One & Dave D. have a good point, but that point is contrary to the concept of a progressive press -- you don't measure (or trickle) every load.

So this is where I get in trouble and this (I think) is where this thread is likely headed... For volume ammo building, pick a powder that lends itself to consistent measuring...

But there are others on this board that I want to hear from...

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    depends on the purpose for me, for my ar as long as it goes bang without going BOOM im fine with that.

for my 260 i havea acculab123 wich weighs down to the individual kernal of powder. i have a set of twesers on the bench that i pick out the cernals i want to pick out. not that im a good enough shot to tell 1 kernel diffrence but for me its about the confidence that ive done everything in my power to make this 1 shot perfect

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    Some powder dispensers just plain suck. I use the RCBS medium because it drops within .2 Max spread on rifle loads and .1 on pistol loads. I feel .2 is acceptable for blasting ammo. If your dispenser is dropping .9 grains spread, get rid of it.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    The only thing I reload like that is pistol, so the %of variance is going to run higher with a given weight. I try to keep things within .1 grains in that instance. If the powder I am using in a rifle load wont throw any tighter than .2 gr, I would either weight the individual loads, or switch to a powder that was more consistent in the measure I am using.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I also only really reload handgun cartridges, so for me I try to stay + or - .1grain, but since my range reloads tend toward the powderpuff side, I admit I've let a +.2grain load ride...

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    I try and keep things +/- .1gr most of the time.
    Powder puff loads, +/- .2gr is fine.
    If I'm working close to Max, (which doesn't happen often), I'll weigh each one.
    I would NOT accept .9gr off.

trip007

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    The only thing I reload like that is pistol, so the %of variance is going to run higher with a given weight. I try to keep things within .1 grains in that instance. If the powder I am using in a rifle load wont throw any tighter than .2 gr, I would either weight the individual loads, or switch to a powder that was more consistent in the measure I am using.

I'm with 45. I don't bulk reload for .308 but I do for 5.56. I use a Dillon 550 and it throws Reloader 15 within + or - .2 gr. Usually within .1 gr. If it was out to .9 I would change powder or go completely insane trying to get it consistant.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    To Meister: I had similar good experience with the RCBS.

To All: Thanks for the input, this is what I suspected. I plan to test some more today; I have some varget and Tightgroup; I'm curious how they measure.

Top Bottom