• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • John Wayne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    I am new to relaoding and was wandering what is the best one powder for what
    I will be reloading for here are my calibers i will load for
    1. .41 REM MAG
    2. .45 ACP
    3. .44 MAG
    4. .40 S.W.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I think you will find data for all of these using Titegroup or Universal as well. I like Titegroup but it is not really the best powder for beginners as you tend to use less of this powder than others so it can be easy to double charge and the range of min. to max is usually pretty small.

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    My coworker uses power pistol in 45 acp and has good luck with it and it fills more than half the case eliminating the chance of a double charge.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Titegroup for my .40 loads. No problems at all in any of the pistols we've used them in. The thing to be cautious about with Titegroup is that you can double charge and not know it so be careful.

mssmith44

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    Local availability seems to make most of the powder choices for you.
    Otherwise.
    best powders for calibers indicated.
    41 mag no experience but Blue dot should be good
    45 ACP WST is good
    40 S&W WSF is the best
    44 Mag Blue dot or H110 for max loads. 231 or titegroup for Special type loads, but the danger is double charging. A mistake you won't repeat.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    If you really MUST choose a single powder, Unique or Power Pistol would be my choice. I'd much rather have some 2400 for the magnums and a faster powder for the 40 and 45, unless you aren't wanting to get top performance out of the 41 and 44 mags?

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I have not personally loaded 40 S&W with universal, but I know people that have. I load the 45 ACP and 44 Mag with universal, and cannot see where the 41 would be much different in liking it. As Broom_jm says, the magnums will not give you top performance unless you step into the slower pistol powders, and those are not going to work for you in the other two.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I vote for, why limit yourself to one powder.
    Powder lasts forever (exageration) if kept dry and cool.
    I have started paying attention to sensitivity between velocity and charge weight when decing on a new powder to try. This is one reason why I like unique for 230 grain 45 acp, it doesn't meter that well but the sensitivity to weight error is 25-50% some other powders when loading in the 800fps neighborhood.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    One of the best things about reloading is that you can tailor each load to a specific gun and shooter. That being said if you are reloading that many calibers, you are really doing yourself a disservice by limiting yourself to one powder. I know for the magnum calibers there is a huge loading range to experiment within given different powders and projectiles. What will work best for your gun and your type of shooting? You have to experiment and find out. Plus, the experimenting and tinkering with loads, projectiles, and powders is kind of fun and interesting. Just keep good records.

neeltburn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    For 9mm, 40 S&W and 45 ACP I use Titegroup and have had no issues. ( Loading on Dillion 550, for 44 mag and 460 S&W I use H110.

Top Bottom