• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    New Palestine, IN
    Was on NPR this morning. A very harsh reality.

I wanna know if they did it with California compliant guns. This just goes to prove that if they can't catch these guys all the crap the NSA is doing is about as useless as California gun laws.

"No news in the truth and no truth in the news..." - Mac

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I've often mused on how easy it wold be to take down the power grid. In fact I wrote a short story on it but it was not published. Maybe I shold self publish it on Amazon now that it is topical.

Falkin88

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    The physical security of the power grid has always been a joke. Coming from having worked in it for awhile it wouldn't be very hard to black out a city. In the day and age we live in it's not only the physical security of the infrastructure we have to be worried about but also its vulnerabilities to cyberattack as well.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    It's actually easy to cause a cascade failure that encompasses much more than a city. You can take down the entire eastern or western seaboard including Canada if you take the right power stations out. It surprises me it hasn't been done already. I wrote my story fifteen years ago, it is a little harder to do now but not a lot. In fact if you couple a physical attack with a cyber attack it is easier to do now than 15 years ago.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The cascade effect failure has already happened along the east coast. 1 piece of gear failed and blacked out a huge multi-state area. It was in the mid 90's if memory serves. The lesson has allready been taught but so few passed the course or retained any of the teachings.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    The cascade effect failure has already happened along the east coast. 1 piece of gear failed and blacked out a huge multi-state area. It was in the mid 90's if memory serves. The lesson has allready been taught but so few passed the course or retained any of the teachings.

2003. I was living in suburban Detroit at the time. Scary 17 hours......the city was out for a day or so. A friend had the liquir store at the end of his street looted and the owner beaten. My friend hated the looters as the owner closed up and left the building to rot.......

Hey what people are NOT talking about is this power grid attack in CA happened the day after the Boston Marathon Bombings

Last edited:

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    2003. I was living in suburban Detroit at the time. Scary 17 hours......the city was out for a day or so. A friend had the liquir store at the end of his street lotted and the owner beaten. My friend hated the looters as the owner closed up and left the building rot.......

Hey what people are NOT talking about is this power grid attack in CA happened the day after the Boston Marathon Bombings

Didn't realize that.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Interesting if nothing else ain't it? April15th, April 16th

BTW I have a friend that would like to join the organization in your sig line! ( Alas he I fear it;s too late as she is currently attending Michigan Sate)

Don't know if it still is, but that used to be a Party School???

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    I read somewhere that there are a half a dozen key transformers across the country that if taken out the cascade would be nation wide and there are not spares of these huge transformers and they take months to build. Oh and they take electricity to build..

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Meh. They didn't succeed in doing anything substantial to the grid or even the transformers. As for the act itself it was predicted way back in 1989 by G. Gordon Liddy, although he was more forthright and competent in his predictions.

https://archive.org/stream/omni-magazine-1989-01/OMNI_1989_01#page/n1/mode/2up
    No, they didn't take down the grid because power was rerouted; but those transformers were "toast" and it took about a month to get them replaced. I read some speculation that with the cutting of data/comm cables, that the attack was a test run for a larger--perhaps coordinated--attack. maybe they'll put DHS on this?

Meyer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2013
    United States
    What about a McVeigh type of hit (or simultaneous hits) on buildings like MISO in Carmel. As I understand it, there are a few buildings like that in the country. Basically the computer brains of how the grid is managed in total. I am sure they have some kind of DR plan, but who knows if it would work.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I read somewhere that there are a half a dozen key transformers across the country that if taken out the cascade would be nation wide and there are not spares of these huge transformers and they take months to build. Oh and they take electricity to build..
    Somewhat true but the Grid is pretty flexible and can work around breaks in the system. The thing to do is take a lot of these physical assets out while attacking the computer doing the work arounds. This allows a person to overload an area greater than was attacked physically. Once they do gain control of the computers again, there is a lot of extra damage done by the systems lame attempts to fix itself that instead helped the attack along that winds up making the fix harder to accomplish. You wind up with a big area blacked out plus a huge strain on the grid trying to power the rest of the country. A second coordinated attack at this time will demolish the grid and leave us completely helpless.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Heard about this last night on the Mark Levin show. Guest host tried to sensationalize it but she had a point. This story was kept local till recently,as if we can't handle the truth about our vulnerability….the grid is obsolete and the cost of fixing it is ludicrous . It's time for the government to give major breaks to folks who will reduce their dependency on the grid in stead of corporations who profit off the off grid market. Exploit the pioneer ethic in this country and the industry will flourish ...

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)

considering it was 1am, it was basically later that night. Leroy Jethrow Gibbs has taught me not to believe in coincidence. I consider this a coordinated attack unless proven otherwise, especially when we have an administration and media that will feed us bull such as Benghazi not being terrorism, but rather reaction to some months-old youtube vid (when we know the administration knew better).

What else happened that day the public is being kept un-aware of?

-rvb

Last edited:
    Top Bottom