• BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    Newsmax.com

Tuesday, October 13, 2009 9:25 PM

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico -- A needle exchange program in Puerto Rico is testing a vending machine that provides drug users with clean syringes after-hours to fight the spread of HIV and hepatitis C.

Dr. Jose Vargas Vidot is the founder of Community Initiative, the U.S. island territory's only needle-exchange group. He says a single machine will make clean syringes available at night outside the group's office in Hato Rey.

Vargas said Tuesday that drug counseling offices that distribute syringes are open only during daylight hours.

The vending machine program targets young addicts reluctant to seek help.

Drug users can get syringes, cookers, cotton filters, gauze and sterile water to prepare drugs for injection by inserting a special card.

How soon before we find them here?:dunno: :noway:

Lakefield22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2008
    I rather like Portugal's approach to drugs. Address the issue through treatment and therapy rather than prison. Also, is Community Initiative a private organization? If so, I would much rather see private organizations helping than increased government bureaucracy under the guise of a war on drugs.

Other than that, I really fail to see how it is the government's business how one chooses to commit suicide.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Sounds like a worthwhile program. If it can help stop the spread of these diseases and keep addicts from committing crimes for their fix, I say go for it. Wish it was privately funded, rather than paid for by tax dollars, but it's a step in the right direction, at least. Programs like this have shown quite a level of success in the past. Britain's program (discontinued due to Reagan's war on drugs policy) was actually lowering the number of addicts in Britain. After Reagan had his way the rates rose again. Hope PR's program has some success. At the least they can help keep communicable disease down.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    So there giving away the tools to administer the drug. What about trying to stop the junk from coming in?

The tiny island is 100mi L x 50mi W.

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    It is freedom indeed. As far as keeping it off the island, fat chance. We can't even keep it out of prisons.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Addiction is no way to live free. I've known a few addicts, they didn't seem very happy.

As a recovering addict, I certainly agree. However, it is not the right of another person to say what I may or may not use in furtherance of my daily quest for a "better" state of being, so long as what I use is obtained through voluntary trade. The way to help addicts is with compassion, not with force.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    As a recovering addict, I certainly agree. However, it is not the right of another person to say what I may or may not use in furtherance of my daily quest for a "better" state of being, so long as what I use is obtained through voluntary trade. The way to help addicts is with compassion, not with force.

I concur. I will not to pretend to have an answer. Maybe drug addiction and experimentation are part of being human. To avoid it is to turn our collective backs to it. I dunno.
    I'm glad you're going clean. Cheers to staying sober.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Just to add a herion addict told me that it is as simple as buying some insulin needles from the drug store. Perhaps diabetics could use these as well.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    The way to help addicts is with compassion, not with force.

I agree as long as we are talking about compassion and not ENABLING.
    Too many of the problems we see today in society have been because we have too many people who enable others.
    They think it is love and compassion they are offering when in truth, they only offer the ability for the bad behavior to continue. They postpone the day when an individual HAS to make a choice. Tough love is just that but it is true love and not some misguided emotion that allows someone to destroy themselves.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I agree as long as we are talking about compassion and not ENABLING.
    Too many of the problems we see today in society have been because we have too many people who enable others.
    They think it is love and compassion they are offering when in truth, they only offer the ability for the bad behavior to continue. They postpone the day when an individual HAS to make a choice. Tough love is just that but it is true love and not some misguided emotion that allows someone to destroy themselves.

Drawing a distinction between compassion and enabling doesn't negate the idea that it is immoral to use force on someone who is getting their fix through peaceful means (ie, not using force or fraud). Beyond that, I agree with you.

Top Bottom