practice drawing gun from behind steering wheel of car.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • copo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    nwi
    Just curious how many other people practice drawing their holstered gun from behind the steering wheel of their car/truck/SUV? I do monthly and when I have trained new guys at work I have them try too, to experience it if ever needed. And ye the guns are always made safe and double checked for safety.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    Yes and removing the seat belt
    with my left hand fishing behind belt and
    shooting hand right above or on grip of gun
    when releasing the belt.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Do you practice rapidly exiting the vehicle? My training has been that the vehicle is a death trap to be exited ASAP, unless of course the gas petal will solve the issue for you.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    Right. That's next but you could be required to shoot between the A pillar and the door before getting all the way out right? I'm asking if that sounds right.? Push door with left foot.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Right. That's next but you could be required to shoot between the A pillar and the door before getting all the way out right? I'm asking if that sounds right.? Push door with left foot.

Debatable, but a sitting target vs a moving one. Which one do you want to be?

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    Agreed. I guess if you drew from there tho b4 them
    It may keep them from drawing but. .??
    I wouldn't feel as if there was no cover at all tho if caught there temporarily.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I don't discount any skill that an individual might practice.

You just never know what might be useful........Taking that one shot might open up an avenue of escape where the gas pedal is again useful. Keep your head about you and use everything at your disposal.

On the way, buy some luck too. We all could use a good dose of luck from time to time too. None of us is bullet proof.

Plenty of good guys die with their gun in their hand.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    I don't discount any skill that an individual might practice.

You just never know what might be useful........Taking that one shot might open up an avenue of escape where the gas pedal is again useful. Keep your head about you and use everything at your disposal.

On the way, buy some luck too. We all could use a good dose of luck from time to time too. None of us is bullet proof.
    :yesway: very true

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Agreed with all of the above. Just sayin' that too often folks think that hunkering down inside the vehicle is the way to go when actually it's the opposite. Even under the best circumstances there is a whole lot to go wrong with sitting still, gun in hand or not.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Most cars won't stop most bullets.

I do think it's a good idea to get a blue gun or yellow barrel and practice a formal draw stroke while seated in a vehicle. It's an even better idea to do it without pointing the gun at any part of yourself.

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    Most cars won't stop most bullets.

I do think it's a good idea to get a blue gun or yellow barrel and practice a formal draw stroke while seated in a vehicle. It's an even better idea to do it without pointing the gun at any part of yourself.

It's also a good idea to position the holster so that you don't potentially sweep any passengers while drawing the weapon too.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    It's also a good idea to position the holster so that you don't potentially sweep any passengers while drawing the weapon too.

Specifically, how would you do that? Would it be any different than keeping it on your hip? Or would you mount the weapon someplace within the vehicle? Or use something like a cross draw?

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    I was confused on that one too:dunno:

I don't mean him any disrespect. But if he's got a good idea for how to do position his weapon so he can more safely and more effectively engage a threat, I think it's worth sharing with the rest of us! :yesway:

ETA - was just talking about something related to that concept in another thread. Thought maybe some of his ideas could cross over into that discussion.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/accessories-gear/310820-cross-draw-cross-draw-holster.html

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    I'm not an advocate of taking the gun off and putting it anywhere in the car. Especially putting it some place unsecured like on the seat, between the seats or under your leg. If you have to leave the vehicle, you'll probably leave it behind or spend valuable time/energy trying to bring it with you. It will also be more likely to not be where you left it if you are involved in any sort of crash.

Keep your gun where you carry your gun and learn a clean draw stroke that avoids taking short cuts across any part of yourself or your passengers.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I'm not an advocate of taking the gun off and putting it anywhere in the car. Especially putting it some place unsecured like on the seat, between the seats or under your leg. If you have to leave the vehicle, you'll probably leave it behind or spend valuable time/energy trying to bring it with you. It will also be more likely to not be where you left it if you are involved in any sort of crash.

Keep your gun where you carry your gun and learn a clean draw stroke that avoids taking short cuts across any part of yourself or your passengers.

All good points. I concur completely.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    practice drawing gun from behind steering wheel of car.

I've tried that and failed numerous times.

At first, I would always drop my pencils and when I finally thought that I got it down, my gun just looked like a warped stick or something. I think one of my problems is that I would use the steering wheel to hold my paper steady but then I would need to turn the car. It's just not as easy as people make it sound.
    Thought of having someone hold the wheel but to me, that's cheating.
    I was going to post a picture here but it was just too embarrassing.

Just DON'T use paints. That was one mistake I learned my lesson with..........Twice. :rolleyes:

I'll keep trying and keep you guys updated on my progress.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)

If I'm carrying strong-side or apx, the gun stays on me. but I frequently put my pocket piece between the seats. Biggest down side is it going flying in the event of a crash, but I think I could still dig it off the floorboard faster than from my pocket. and I usually only do that in town where speeds are lower and mostly sitting at lights, so most likely if there was a crash it wouldn't go flying...

after practicing it and weighing pros/cons, that's how I roll....

-rvb

Top Bottom