• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Best shoot I ever had was a tale of irony near the Shirley Basin. Had a bad morning (cloudy) so we did some driving. Cut a tire down, guy pulls over on his Rhino to help. Turns out he's a local on his way to shoot a ranch. We fix the tire and he offers to let us tag along. Followed him 10 mile across the prairie and shot til supper time. I think he wouldve fed us too! Good people out that way.

That's been our experience too. That's a really nice area - wonderful people - excellent opportunities. We usually camp in the Basin and get a shower every couple days at the Virginian in Medicine Bow ($8 - WORTH IT).

Farmritch

Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    FYI the Laws have changed due to the democraps now you can not drive on the prairie only on designated roads on BLM land. which means a lot of hiking just to get to dog towns. they really screwed it all up.
    Also the plague has been bad in South Dakota the last 5 years.
    Forget the Wall area and public lands

sbrville

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    Rush Co
    Thanks all, even the laughs at my title, I left the door wide open on that one,lol. Great info. So is my best bet to plan a DIY hunt and ask around for some private land access? Jeremiah, I may pm u if that's ok, looks like your hunting where I might want to go. I'm still working a few connections with some ranchers but no luck so far so maybe DIY will have to do. Also wanting to do some coyote hunting while we are at it, just got into it here this year and thought we would see some western dogs. Thanks again. SB.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Thanks all, even the laughs at my title, I left the door wide open on that one,lol. Great info. So is my best bet to plan a DIY hunt and ask around for some private land access? Jeremiah, I may pm u if that's ok, looks like your hunting where I might want to go. I'm still working a few connections with some ranchers but no luck so far so maybe DIY will have to do. Also wanting to do some coyote hunting while we are at it, just got into it here this year and thought we would see some western dogs. Thanks again. SB.

If you're going before archery season for pronghorn (15 August there abouts), you'll do fine on public land. Get on google earth, find some two-tracks that cover a lot of ground, and enjoy. You'll find plenty of dogs trust me. If you want private ground, like I said, head in to Medicine bow and ask around. Lots of people willing to let you shoot dogs.

glock34

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    Fishers
    FYI the Laws have changed due to the democraps now you can not drive on the prairie only on designated roads on BLM land. which means a lot of hiking just to get to dog towns. they really screwed it all up.
    Also the plague has been bad in South Dakota the last 5 years.
    Forget the Wall area and public lands

Is there anywhere is South Dakota worth going to now?

Ward250

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 12, 2015
    Down South
    In my experience, the places "known" to the internet crowds really aren't worth a crap. Those with the brass to drive 12-16 hours and put in the effort seem to do well.

Kimber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2011
    South Bend
    I do the prairie dog hunt every year, here are two that I use
    Jim river guide service, he takes you out and stays with you all day.
    Buffalo Butte, they give you a vehicle take you out and your on your own.
    both are located in South Dakota. Both are very good and usually we do a good job of bring down population.

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    As a farmer, I frequent newagtalk.com forum, might be a way to link up with farmers and ranchers prior to going out. There are posts on hunting / guns there.

Top Bottom