• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Ok, so I have wanted to get into long range and precision shooting for a while now. I have a rifle I can use to practice my skill which I will be reloading for (243). My question to you all is whether or not any of you knows of some good reading material or video that has information about rifle shooting and optic use? Any feedback is appreciated.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    What - exactly - are you wanting to learn/know? What are the exact specs of your rifle & optic combo?

A good place to start is SnipersHide online training videos, which aren't free but I don't think are too expensive. Otherwise, you can learn how to range using mildots via a bunch of sources on line.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Ok, so I have wanted to get into long range and precision shooting for a while now. I have a rifle I can use to practice my skill which I will be reloading for (243). My question to you all is whether or not any of you knows of some good reading material or video that has information about rifle shooting and optic use? Any feedback is appreciated.

Project Appleseed Home

They wont cover reloading, but its the best money you can spend at this stage in your quest.

Outside of that Im a firm believer that you can not learn long range shooting on the internet, behind a tv, or reading a book. I believe the only way to do it is put your belly in the dirt and make some noise.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    ^^^ What Alan says ... at Appleseed you will learn the basics of precision rifle shooting. From there you can springboard into other areas of rifle shooting and most likely someone in the Appleseed organization will know how to help you move along. What this group can teach you in a single weekend cannot be explained ... it must be experienced.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    join a club with a rifle program,

start with 22lr. a good 22 has a lot of things to teach,

HHRP's smallbore shooting on thursday nights will teach you oodles about trigger control and breathing,

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Thanks for the responses, guys. I realize a lot of this will have to be something I have to do to get right, Im just trying to learn the right way and go in the right direction.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    What are the specs of your 243, and what bullet are you hoping to use?

My guess is that since he is just trying to get into it, he doenst understand much about bullet selection for long range precision. Even so it really doesn't matter much until your experience level is much much higher.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    My guess is that since he is just trying to get into it, he doenst understand much about bullet selection for long range precision.

Probably true...which is why I ask the question, so that we can help guide him on bullets optimized for whatever twist rate his barrel is.

As an example (more for the OP), the 87gr Vmax will be plenty stable in the 1:9.25 twist offered in many Savage 243s or the 1:9.125 twist of factory Remington 700s and at typical 243 velocities should be supersonic to 1000yd or further with wind drift at extended range similar to a 308/168gr combination. The 90gr Berger BT is another great choice for those twist rates in a 6mm as is the 95gr Classic Hunter, providing better wind drift for their higher cost.

The 95/107gr SMK would be marginal but may or may not work in his barrel...same as the Hornady 105gr HPBT/Amax.

If he has a 1:8 barrel...it'll work with most anything except 115-class bullets, and I'd personally try 105gr HPBT first and if that didn't work go right to 105gr Hybrids.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I know what you are saying, I just think that that should come later AFTER the shooter understands bullet drop, wind drift, scope adjustment, and the fundamentals of marksmanship. A better bullet makes shooting those distances precisely easier once you know what your doing, but it doesn't make learning how to do it any easier.

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    I know what you are saying, I just think that that should come later AFTER the shooter understands bullet drop, wind drift, scope adjustment, and the fundamentals of marksmanship. A better bullet makes shooting those distances precisely easier once you know what your doing, but it doesn't make learning how to do it any easier.

^^^^^^^THIS!!! Education helps to prevent pissing money away on expensive ammo and unneeded crap.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Project Appleseed Home

They wont cover reloading, but its the best money you can spend at this stage in your quest.

Outside of that Im a firm believer that you can not learn long range shooting on the internet, behind a tv, or reading a book. I believe the only way to do it is put your belly in the dirt and make some noise.

The thread can be closed after this post.

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    My guess is that since he is just trying to get into it, he doenst understand much about bullet selection for long range precision. Even so it really doesn't matter much until your experience level is much much higher.

Thats actually the part I DO understand. I just never grew up shooting rifles for distance. Im actually a graduate of Colorado School of Trades. The mechanics of the rifle are not my problem at all. The rifle is my project rifle from there. Howa 1500, faced action, lapped lugs, pillar and glass bedded completely custom American Classic style stock, 25" Shilen (I wouldve chosen something else had I known better back then) barrel with 1 in 10 twist. Vortex Crossfire II 6-18x44, Leupold Dual Dovetail rings and bases.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    25" Shilen (I wouldve chosen something else had I known better back then)

Ive owned quite a few Shilen barrels, and I can honestly say I would order another in 1/2 a heart beat. I've got a 260 that shot a 5 shot 3 inch group at 750 yds with a shilen barrel. I cant say anyone else's barrel would have done any better. (TOPHAT45) witnessed this. Its the only time I shot this rifle for groups past 300 yds, and I don't see any point in doing it again.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    With a 1:10 twist bolt gun, my choice would be 95gr Berger Classics for maximum BC, and 87gr V-Max for maximum value.

I'm too cheap for Gucci bullets, so the Hornadys would be my recommendation...and whaddayaknow, they're not too expensive.

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    With a 1:10 twist bolt gun, my choice would be 95gr Berger Classics for maximum BC, and 87gr V-Max for maximum value.

I'm too cheap for Gucci bullets, so the Hornadys would be my recommendation...and whaddayaknow, they're not too expensive.
    Im a fan of Hornady components/ammo also. And wouldnt ya know it, thats about the range of slug weight I was looking at.

I guess if this post has done anything, it has clarified my original question. I guess the only part Im not particularly adept at is knowing and using optics at ranges longer than 200 yds. My experience with scopes doesnt extend far past a hunting rifle with a 3-9x or a 22 with a 4x. Thanks to everyone who responded.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Im a fan of Hornady components/ammo also. And wouldnt ya know it, thats about the range of slug weight I was looking at.

I guess if this post has done anything, it has clarified my original question. I guess the only part Im not particularly adept at is knowing and using optics at ranges longer than 200 yds. My experience with scopes doesnt extend far past a hunting rifle with a 3-9x or a 22 with a 4x. Thanks to everyone who responded.

Just remember, "tell the scope what you want the bullet to do".

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    If you have a smartphone, get a ballistic app like Shooter or Ballistic AE - should cost $10-20.

They'll have a database of bullets and you can choose a bullet, input parameters like velocity, elevation, and environmentals and it'll give you data.

As an example:

I have Shooter on my iPhone. I input a 6mm 1:10 barrel, with optic 1.5" above the barrel, with a 100yd zero. I then selected the 6mm 87gr V-Max bullet, put the velocity at 2900fps (easily obtainable from a 243), and selected the following environmentals:

500' ASL elevation
    29.92Hg barometric pressure
    59F temperature
    0% humdity
    10mph crosswind

It tells me the stability factor of the 87 V-Max in a 1:10 barrel, at that velocity, with those environmentals is 1.29 (anything over 1.00 is stable, but anything less than 1.4 is considered 'marginal' though that doesn't mean it won't shoot and shoot very well).

Press "calculate" and this is what it spits out:

photo_zps96410ae3.png

Now I use scopes that have Milradian adjustments (sometimes referred to as MIL or MRAD), so that is the output pictured.

If you have a 'traditional' scope with minute-of-angle (MOA) adjustments, this is what it would look like:
    BA96CC2B-27FA-4ABA-8CFE-2BD059797F40_zpscvkru7l7.png

You simply make the adjustments to your optic that the software chugs out for you, and squeeze.

(this, of course, assumes the inputs are correct as garbage in = garbage out and that your scope is tracking properly, ie. if you adjust it 10 3/4 MOA it actually moves that much)

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Thats pretty sweet. Thank you for that explanation of "tracking". I had heard it before but didnt quite know what it meant.

Top Bottom