• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pughead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Ive been thinking of getting the exact rifle! How does it shoot?
    Seems to be fantastic! I was really surprised it liked the mil-surp. Haven't spent much time with it or even began to develop a good load for it but based off what it's done so far I would recommend it.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Yea you defiantly need to get some handloads through it or at the very least some good factory match through it. I bet it will end up being a nail driver for sure!

10mmfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    Not seeing a whole lot of semi auto precision rifles in here but that SCAR heavy that turnandshoot4 put together looks way cool. I seen pics of SEALs using a similar setup in Afghanistan. If that rifle shoots as good as it looks like it should I may have to rethink my opinion that long range rifles should only be bolt actions.

Last edited:

Pughead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Yea you defiantly need to get some handloads through it or at the very least some good factory match through it. I bet it will end up being a nail driver for sure!
    Speaking of that. I'm new to reloading .308, any suggestions on a good starting point for a 24" 1in10 twist?

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    One of my favorite loads in my 1:10 twist Savage rifles is 168gr Hornady HPBT over 44.1gr Varget set at 2.810 COL. Has been a very consistent sub MOA load for me.

Pughead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    One of my favorite loads in my 1:10 twist Savage rifles is 168gr Hornady HPBT over 44.1gr Varget set at 2.810 COL. Has been a very consistent sub MOA load for me.
    Awesome. I know savage uses 168gr for there accuracy testing, seems like a pretty good starting point.

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    Well yeah, we're going to play with those for sure! But I doubt 145gr pulled from mil-surp is going to end up being anything to write home about.
    I was talking about the 168gr HPBTs that are over 44grains of Varget... Duh!

And don't discount the old mil surp projectiles! I seem to remember somebody putting 2 of em through the same hole! Not a bad option, when cash is tight!

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Not seeing a whole lot of semi auto precision rifles in here but that SCAR heavy that turnandshoot4 put together looks way cool. I seen pics of SEALs using a similar setup in Afghanistan. If that rifle shoots as good as it looks like it should I may have to rethink my opinion that long range rifles should only be bolt actions.

That is the conclusion I came to. A precision rifle can be light, portable, and semi auto. Sure, I lose some velocity in the 700-1200 range but I don't shoot there so it doesn't matter.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Since we were messing around at north of 700yds with this making consistent hits, I guess this is a precision rifle.

I came to the realization that the bolt gun is dead at your house. The last shoot at your house I saw a guy go 10/11 with a DPMS 308 and a Nikon duplex cross hair scope. I also saw a guy go 10/11 standing with an AR. After that shoot I promptly sold my bolt gun and started working with the semi autos exclusively.

Not to mention semi autos are winning sniper competitions against world class bolt guns.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Sub MOM (minute of man)

By the way, I have not been able to get a scar 17 off my mind for about 4 years now. Any clue who's fault that is?

Now that I have been pushing its limits I got .7 MOA out of it. Varget and 175SMKs this thing loves. That is damn good for what it is.

I got the itch after I watched MAC (Military arms channel) shoot MOA with a 4x ACOG on a bitterly cold day with a standard (poor) trigger. If you look closely you can see me running the spotting scope at the end of his SCAR 17 video.

Last edited:

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I finally got out to shoot this guy (6.8 SPC) Monday. After I found what ammo it liked I was getting .3-.4 moa but only shot 50 (zero) and 100yds. I need to get out and stretch its legs soon.

I hope to keep it under 1moa over 100yds but we will see

Top Bottom