Predict the 1st Banning for uncivil behavior in the new Religious Threads...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    History is only as useful as the honesty of those writing it. I suppose you can apply the science of psychology to lying historians, but then you run into the mathematics of statistics and have to gauge the probability that all of those period historians would lie about the exact same thing in the exact same way. And then there's the mundane fact of the office of the Presidency, which we know exists and we know how it's supposed to function. Being that human beings are discrete phenomena, we can list all those who ever occupied the office and then run that list backwards until we have no more individual humanoid carbon units to add to that list and declare that, in all probability, we had discovered the first.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    History is only as useful as the honesty of those writing it. I suppose you can apply the science of psychology to lying historians, but then you run into the mathematics of statistics and have to gauge the probability that all of those period historians would lie about the exact same thing in the exact same way. And then there's the mundane fact of the office of the Presidency, which we know exists and we know how it's supposed to function. Being that human beings are discrete phenomena, we can list all those who ever occupied the office and then run that list backwards until we have no more individual humanoid carbon units to add to that list and declare that, in all probability, we had discovered the first.

The Bible is a book of history. Written by eyewitnesses during the lifetime of other eyewitnesses. Everything was falsifiable at the time it was written. Everything written in the gospels for example could've easily been proven wrong at the times they were written because people were still alive who lived through it. If I said, Obama only served one term you'd say well that's not true, I was there, and you'd be right. All of that was possible when the 66 books of the Bible were written.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    The Bible is a book of history. Written by eyewitnesses during the lifetime of other eyewitnesses. Everything was falsifiable at the time it was written. Everything written in the gospels for example could've easily been proven wrong at the times they were written because people were still alive who lived through it. If I said, Obama only served one term you'd say well that's not true, I was there, and you'd be right. All of that was possible when the 66 books of the Bible were written.

Were drafts emailed around to fact check?

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    They tell the story of the Irishman who studied an elephant in the Dublin zoo.
    After about an hour, he said, "I don't believe it," and walked away.
    Some are like the Irishman.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    In my personal philosophy?

Disagree.

I think that the "big bang" event that led to our observable "universe" was probably just one of an infinite number of such events, if you scale back far enough and look over a broad enough period of time.

Well then you're consistent and I have nothing to say.... damn it :):

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

The Bible was written by eyewitnesses???? Not sure if srs. This why non-believers are able to thoroughly able to own Christians in debates. Because many don't know their history.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Think about that from a purely logistical standpoint... 2000 years ago, how long from draft to distribution?

Not to mention the muliple translations that have taken place by various people. I firmly believe the Bible, but thought that might be worth mentioning

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Not to mention the muliple translations that have taken place by various people. I firmly believe the Bible, but thought that might be worth mentioning

It's not like the phone game. The NIV doesn't translate from the NKJV which translated from the KJV. We still have 6,000 manuscripts and portions of manuscripts that were written within a generation of the originals. We can still go back to the originals.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    It's not like the phone game. The NIV doesn't translate from the NKJV which translated from the KJV. We still have 6,000 manuscripts and portions of manuscripts that were written within a generation of the originals. We can still go back to the originals.

I understand what you're saying and I agree with you, but not everyone does

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I very much believe the Bible (New Testament) has some good messages about how live or how to treat one another, much like other childhood stories with a moral lesson.

Taking the Bible as a 100% factual history book is a bit far fetched.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom