Preemption: from MI, your neighbor to the north (update)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    This might interest many here because it deals with firearms preemption. Could this happen to you in IN? I think this case has been mentioned here once before, but just to give a short recap...

Michigan has firearms preemption just like Indiana. Some libraries up here decided to make their own rules prohibiting the lawful carry of firearms. We tried to tell them they couldn't do that. They tried to have firearms carriers arrested, but the police refused. The police suggested they get a court order. Well, in order to bring it before a judge they needed someone to sue, right? So the library system in central Michigan filed a lawsuit against a gun organization, Michigan Open Carry.

The case went before an anti-gun judge who immediately issued an Emergency Ex-Parte Temporary Restraining Order prohibiting the public from carrying a firearm on library properties (CC or OC). It was later made permanent.

Michigan Open Carry filed an appeal with the Michigan Court of Appeals and won. The Court of Appeals upheld Michigan's preemption law which expressly prohibits local units of government from regulating firearms, and reinforced the fact that state law completely occupies the field of firearms regulation, and that the library system, as a quasi-municipal corporation, remains subject to the constitution and the laws of this state, is subject to preemption, and thus has no authority on its own to ban firearms.

Not only did we win, but in its published ruling, the court stated that the trial court erroneously granted summary disposition in favor of the library system and abused its discretion by granting the library system's request for permanent injunctive relief by permanently banning the public from entering their buildings and branches while carrying a firearm.

The library system appealed the ruling and the Court of Appeals refused to reconsider it.

So, yesterday was their last day to appeal to the Michigan Supreme Court, which they did. The library system thus far has spent $90,000 in taxpayer money for attorney's fees fighting this. (I FOIAed the attorney billing). They spent $12,500 in attorney's fees just filing to the MI Supreme Court.

For the legal-types among you, if you are interested, here is the Application for Leave to Appeal and accompanying brief to the Michigan Supreme Court.

Now we, as firearms owners (more specifically Michigan Open Carry) have to file in our part to persuade the court not to hear the case. Personally I think the chance of the MiSC hearing the case is very slim, but you never know.

Just thought some here may be interested in how preemption is being fought in the courts next door. Carry on.

:ingo:

Last edited:

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Man, that's great to hear you guys are taking on the responsibility of keeping your rights intact.

Typical of the library corporation, though, burning through much needed cash on this. They'll have their hand filled with more cash when they complain about operating costs and such.

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    Do you have a link or info on what county, which library and what judge?

I can give you as much information as you want. I tried to simplify it for my post because this is an IN forum. But I thought you should know what a government subsidiary is doing next door to fight preemption. It could happen here in IN.

The library system is the Capital Area District Library. It encompasses the cities and towns of Ingham County except the City of East Lansing. CADL operates thirteen libraries (Lansing [several], Aurelius, Dansville, Haslett, Holt, Leslie, Mason, Okemos, Stockbridge, Webberville, Williamston). Ingham County is home to the capitol city of Lansing.

The initial judge was Ingham County Circuit Court Judge Rosemarie Aquilina. She was the anti-gun judge the Michigan Court of Appeals said abused her authority. The Michigan Court Of Appeals decision can be found here:

http://publicdocs.courts.mi.gov:81/OPINIONS/FINAL/COA/20121025_C304582_65_304582.OPN.PDF

I write and publish a new newsletter for Michigan Open Carry. It has a slightly more detailed summary of the CADL case in case you want to read it.

http://miopencarry.org/moc_files/publications/newsletter/MOC-Newsletter-1.pdf

(Just a note, I had some software issues with my pdf translation software so a couple of the links don't work, along with the Table of Contents. I didn't have time to redo everything. Aside from the TOC, almost every link works, and I think there is enough interesting and unique content for everyone to take a look at, but I am prejudiced).

Michigan Open Carry is a small organization comprised of about 200 members scattered across the entire state. And you all know what the typical participation v. member ratio is! We fought CADL in the courts and won. Now a handful of us are fighting municipal corporations at the state Supreme Court level. I say corporations because CADL has spent all of the taxpayer money they have and are now asking other library systems within Michigan to give them money to fight this clearly unlawful action.

They are also now holding fund-raising events to raise money for the things they were supposed to use their taxpayer money for, including fixing up the libraries themselves, never mind acquiring more books or e-reader licenses. I spoke at a recent CADL board meeting and chastised them for wasting (now) $90K in taxpayer money in an attempt to prohibit something that was clearly lawful.

There are nearly ten million people in Michigan. And even though the fight for freedom affects every single Michigan gun owner, there are only a few dozen people in the entire state funding and fighting this. We can't even get the NRA interested in helping us fund our court battles (and you thought the NRA was for concealed carry?), so we have done it on our own. And we are winning! All the way up to the Supreme Court of the State of Michigan.

If there is anything else you wish to know, please ask.

Last edited:

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    Thank You - That will do nicely. :)

Okay.

Just a note, some of the background info stated in the ruling is not 100% accurate. For example, it mentions someone carrying a shotgun into the library. This was NOT a Michigan Open Carry member, even though I think the ruling states it was. But in full disclosure, we do know who this person is and he was royally reamed out by some MOC members who know him. (He was too young to receive a concealed carry license).

I believe he's also a militia member. :dunno:

Nevertheless, he started crap that we have to finish to preserve the rights of the rest of Michigan's firearms owners. We all OCed and CCed fine before he came along.

Funny, if it's a right one would think we wouldn't have to spend lots of money to guarantee it.

bobn911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Edwardsburg, MI
    griffin, if someone from the great state of Indiana should want to donate a few bucks for the cause, who might they send it to? My 'bucks' will be on the way shortly. Thanks, Bob

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Good on you, griffin! I lived in Michigan a good portion of my life; from Kalamazoo to Grand Rapids to Alpena to the UP. My folks still live up there.

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    griffin, if someone from the great state of Indiana should want to donate a few bucks for the cause, who might they send it to? My 'bucks' will be on the way shortly. Thanks, Bob

Wow, that would be very generous of you. Thank you for considering this.

If you wish to donate, you can go to this page:

Donate to MOC | Michigan Open Carry, Inc.

and click on the scales in the CENTER of the page under the Legal Defense Fund Donation section. That will allow you to PayPal a donation to the Legal Defense Fund. Some people refuse to use PayPal, so an alternate way is to send a check to:

Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
    P.O. Box 16184
    Lansing, MI 48901

bobn911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Edwardsburg, MI
    griffin, by the way, I'm from Michigan and am a member of the MOC forums. I have been to several OC meet-ups and seminars. Last meet up I was at was Bimbos in Kazoo and sat across from The Q. Later, Bob

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Interesting. When they repeal handgun registration, Ill be much happier. Lots of good things have been happening since I left.

Bung

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2012
    Anderson
    You have to expect things like this from a state that considers air powered pellet guns a firearm.

Okay.

Just a note, some of the background info stated in the ruling is not 100% accurate. For example, it mentions someone carrying a shotgun into the library. This was NOT a Michigan Open Carry member, even though I think the ruling states it was. But in full disclosure, we do know who this person is and he was royally reamed out by some MOC members who know him. (He was too young to receive a concealed carry license).

I believe he's also a militia member. :dunno:

Nevertheless, he started crap that we have to finish to preserve the rights of the rest of Michigan's firearms owners. We all OCed and CCed fine before he came along.

Funny, if it's a right one would think we wouldn't have to spend lots of money to guarantee it.

He was reamed out for exercising his rights? Why? I understand that the public was all scared but the idea (one of the idea's at least) of open carry is to establish to the general public that crazy mass-murderer's aren't the only one's carrying firearms around. To say it is perfectly fine to openly carry a pistol but not okay to openly carry a shotgun is hypocrisy.

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    But ... but ... but ...

.... a minor unable to buy a pistol walks in to a library w a shot-gun. What part of "... well regulated militia ..." am I missing here? Just because he CAN does not mean he SHOULD. Cash on the way to the organization; may an Indiana resident become a member? I tromp the Wayne County area on my way to Quebec pretty regularly; where do you guys meet up?
    You have to expect things like this from a state that considers air powered pellet guns a firearm.
    He was reamed out for exercising his rights? Why? <snip>To say it is perfectly fine to openly carry a pistol but not okay to openly carry a shotgun is hypocrisy.

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    He was reamed out for exercising his rights? Why?

There's a little more to the story, but basically he did it just to provoke. He wasn't carrying it for protection as (if memory serves) it was unloaded. :rolleyes:

Also, carrying "in hand" can easily be construed as brandishing.

For starters. :)

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    Cash on the way to the organization; may an Indiana resident become a member?
    Sure. :D

Membership Information | Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
    I tromp the Wayne County area on my way to Quebec pretty regularly; where do you guys meet up?
    We have open carry lunches and dinners all the time. Also free OC seminars for those new to OC.

Events - Statewide Open Carry Related

We had a dinner two weeks ago on the outside edge of Wayne County that drew 63 people/open carriers! We have one coming up in three weeks right off I-75 in Woodhaven (Wayne County).

Last edited:

RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    once their appeal is shot down there should be a class action filed to make the library system refund the money they spent to the taxpayers

Top Bottom