• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Barbecue

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    What are the first things that need to be prepared or stocked up on?

I'm not talking food and ammo stock piles, but useful things I might over look or not even think about.

I'm trying to put a checklist together.

I think this could be useful to others who are just starting to "prepare" for a SHTF event.

I'm interested in the survival books and maps. Any advice on which ones and best maps would be appreciated.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Get this book:
    C. Crane Company - Do-It-Yourself Emergency Preparedness

If you are JUST starting out, it is a good read. Nice refresher for others, and WAY too basic for the serious survivalist. Gotta start somewhere, though!

Even FEMA has a decent list to get started:
    FEMA: Basic Disaster Supplies
    Ready.gov: Get A Kit

More good info here:
    Are you prepared?

All the ammo and MREs in the world won't help when you run out of toilet paper! Find out what you use every day/week, and start stocking up on it. For stuff that you can't stock, decide how you will replace or live without it.

Got important docs on the computer? Back them up! Multiple times in multiple locations (not all at your house). This includes all of those digital pictures and (gasp!) MP3s.

All those important paper docs? Start Photocopying and scanning! A set in the safe, another off-site (and secure), and one in your "go bag". Loosing your LTCH in a fire essentially disarms you, as an example. Keep copies of important docs where you can either take them with you easily or get to them later.

Start thinking about how you will deal with "common" disasters like fires, tornadoes, and floods. Once you are comfortable with the basics, step up to more difficult scenarios, like earthquakes, civil unrest, and (our favorite) ZOMBIES!

Barbecue

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Get this book:
    C. Crane Company - Do-It-Yourself Emergency Preparedness

If you are JUST starting out, it is a good read. Nice refresher for others, and WAY too basic for the serious survivalist. Gotta start somewhere, though!

Even FEMA has a decent list to get started:
    FEMA: Basic Disaster Supplies
    Ready.gov: Get A Kit

More good info here:
    Are you prepared?

All the ammo and MREs in the world won't help when you run out of toilet paper! Find out what you use every day/week, and start stocking up on it. For stuff that you can't stock, decide how you will replace or live without it.

Got important docs on the computer? Back them up! Multiple times in multiple locations (not all at your house). This includes all of those digital pictures and (gasp!) MP3s.

All those important paper docs? Start Photocopying and scanning! A set in the safe, another off-site (and secure), and one in your "go bag". Loosing your LTCH in a fire essentially disarms you, as an example. Keep copies of important docs where you can either take them with you easily or get to them later.

Start thinking about how you will deal with "common" disasters like fires, tornadoes, and floods. Once you are comfortable with the basics, step up to more difficult scenarios, like earthquakes, civil unrest, and (our favorite) ZOMBIES!

Thank you.

I'm just starting and the wifey just started the couponing so I'm just trying to cover my bases. If anyone can think of any small things that I may over look please advise! I'd hate to forget something.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    It's not really something to "stock-up" on, but taking care of anything medical, dental or with vision would go a long way- definitely don't want a problem with these when it goes down.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Knowledge. learn to do more with less. The more "stuff" you think you need, the more you're going to have to transport, should you be going with the "bug-out" option.

Cover these bases:
    • Have a way to make water, fire, and shelter.
    • Devise a way to keep yourself safe, with or without firearms
    • Have a plan to keep yourself fed for 2 weeks, 6 months, or a year and beyond.
    Everything else is luxury. Survival isn't pretty, it's survival.

bft131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Find the list..100 things to vanish first in an emergency..It was an excellent starting point for me when I finally saw the light. Also, "Silent Warrior" has some excellent points. Also, like "Eldirector" said..plan for what will happen here in Indiana. Tornado, floods, or other weather events. Make sure you let your spouse / significant other in on what your doing (If there is one...) and take your time, watch ads, look for good deals. Prepping has made us better shoppers also...Also, look up "Maslow's hireacrchy of needs" It says it all as to what we as humans need and in what order...Welcome aboard !!

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Once you have your list start taking inventory. Think out side the box,look for things
    you have but take for granted, like the 20 gal. of water in your water heater. Toilet paper?
    Gramma used the Sears catalog. You can flush the toilet with water from the the sump pump hole...Maybe you get my drift. The most important thing is to think ahead and get
    information. What will you need if blank happens, ect.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    On the "coupon" note, watch the Menards and Walgreens ads. There Are many things that end up being free after rebates. Useful things that can either be stored and used long term or uses to barter for other items.
    I can't tell you how many boxes of band aids, lighters, kotex, instant coffee etc that we
    have squirreled away. All free or nearly free by watching these adds.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    i think all anybody really needs for an emergency is a car, cash, and firearms.

I sincerely hope you aren't serious about that.
    There are too many people who seem to think that they'll be able to just take what they need if TSHTF. Might does NOT make right.
    I can guarantee you that unwanted visitors to my homestead that merely show up with those three items will be assumed to be a threat and dealt with accordingly.

We prepare for the eventuality that displaced people will show up and expect that some will be taken in. However, we also expect there will be some who will attempt to take advantage of our preps and I assure you, as hard of a choice as it may be, this type of person will not be allowed to continue on to wreak havoc on others.

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    i think all anybody really needs for an emergency is a car, cash, and firearms.

What good will a car be if you can't get gas? What good will cash be if the economy fails, other then it's worth as toilet paper? What good will the firearms be if you run out of ammo OR run into a larger group of people who are also armed?

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Start with an at-home 72 hour kit for each person and keep it up to date. With growing kids, that's hard enough. (el director pointed to some good sources) Then get a "get home" kit for the car. Hoofing it 10-15 miles is do-able in almost any weather if you have what you need to get there. We don't have hurricanes in Indiana, "bugging out" is the last thing to worry about, IMO. Ice storms we have, but the roads will be closed, and you won't be allowed to drive.

In a SHTF situation you should plan your kit with the following in mind... you will die in the following order:

1. Medical emergencies -- a matter of minutes -- severe blood loss, stopped breathing/heartbeat, poisoning, miscellaneous trauma. (Do you have the right first aid items and training to survive the 2-3 days it might take for you/family to get appropriate medical care?)
    In many case there is absolutely nothing you can do, but in many cases there is, if you know what to do, and have what you need.

2. Exposure -- matter of hours (Do you have the appropriate clothing/shelter for the weather?)

3. Dehydration -- a matter of days. (For a 72 hour kit, 1 gallon per person per day. Might be more in hot weather. At home, immediately shut off the main water supply, water supplies may become contaminated, so you're protecting yourself. You also have ~30 gallons of water in the hot water tank. But if someone lives "down hill" from you, the water in your tank and pipes will be siphoned by someone else as soon as you crack your faucet. Shut the main valve. Then to drain the water from your pipes go to the lowest faucet (hose bib/basement) and put a water container there. Then go to the highest faucet and open it (upstairs bathroom). Then go open the lowest faucet and collect your water.

Chlorinated municipal water is good for at least 6 months in storage (cool, dark place).

Most people think of storing food first, but really, in a 72 hour type of SHTF most people have enough fat and muscle mass to survive several days or weeks. With that in mind, for the first 72 hours, focus on foods that are high in complex carbohydrates. Then build up other reserves. No, I don't mean fat reserves.

And don't forget sanitation -- clean bodies, clean water.

Also, in a bug-out situation, think about this: Where was the longest line when Katrina was coming? A: the gas station.

Solution: store 10-15 gallons of gas and you'll be one of the first one's out of town, not stuck in the traffic jam only to run out of gas idling on the freeway. Rotate gas every 6 months, pour the old gas in your tank when cold weather hits, and do the same when warm weather comes in the spring. Reason: gas formulations change with the seasons, winter gas has higher vapor pressure.

I also like what el director said about having copies of irreplaceable documents and files.

Last edited:

PTinbound

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    DeMotte
    Food, water, and shelter. Those are the three basic needs. Have a way to heat your house off grid or a place to go with a wood stove that is off grid. You could freeze to death in the winter long before you would starve to death. Get a big berkey water filter. Think long term. Plant a big garden and learn how to do it well. Have as much long term food storage as you can. Of course, a basic firearms battery to hunt or to defend your family.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    During an ice storm a couple years back we were without electricity for nearly three weeks. Here's some items we found really useful to have prepped for such a situation:

Paper plates and plastic forks
    A wind-up charging flashlight with radio
    Matches/Candles
    A sturdy line to hang out laundry
    Blankets- huge plus with blankets- we divided our house to make the heat serve where we needed it the most and it helped a lot.
    A propane grill

At another time, we was without water for a day or so due to a main rupture. In this case, we had electricity and it was nice to warm some water (we keep a large reserve) and put them in a portable shower, which is little more than a 5 gallon bag with a spout.

Also, there's a type of soap for bathing that doesn't require water. Can't remember the name of it, but nice to have in a waterless situation.

Not the most glorious of preps, but we found them helpful.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    If you live rural a 99% non-vented heater is a good short term option[no watts
    needed] Wood heat is better. Gardening is great, you can do it almost anywhere. Learn
    how to can . You can preserve almost any food and it should keep at least a year without
    power. If it's a civil disruption a small generator would be handy. 3000 watts will run most
    household appliances ,pumps ,battery chargers etc. one at a time. The small gen won't
    use a ton of fuel if you're frugal.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Stock up what kills most people.

Water is plentiful in Indiana. Have some on hand, but having a way to treat the water is more important.

Food. Cans are a good place to start. Also dry goods like rice and beans. Pasta will keep for several months, but you'll want to rotate it if you want it to taste good.

Heat. However you heat your home, make sure you stock up on some kind of fuel.

Learn as much as you can in between time. Keep hard copies stored someplace dry.

Top Bottom