• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • purdue98

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2015
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Rearranged all food stocks into more manageable 20 gallon containers with lids.
    Added 3 more Mountain House #10 Meat Cans.
    Ammo still incoming but more towards pistol caliber (45LC, 45ACP, 40S&W and 22LR SHP-CCI).
    Ordered a 75 round KCI AK 47 Drum (all metal version) and an additional FNP-40 magazine (had to go with the FNS-40 version).
    Battery stocks (AAA and AA) increased.
    Added a Jackery 6000W Peak/3000W Solar Generator to the SHTF home system.
    Continue to prep as feasible. Bidenomics is challenging gas, home energy cost, and groceries cost the past years.

purdue98

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2015
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Water currently at 35 gallons. 5 x 5 gallon jugs and 2 x 5 gallon military water cans.
    We use a berkey to purify our house water for drinking and cooking. We keep sufficient filtration on hand to last a few years.
    Water is always going to be an issue. We have a 45 gallon rain barrel that we need to start storing gained water through the winter.

purdue98

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2015
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    We have a pressure cooker. We have canning jars. Beyond that, we have not researched canning methods.
    Do you wash your vegetables with a dilute vinegar solution prior to going into the jars?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    You are gonna want a copy of this...

1702215394642.png

YouTube is full of canning vids. Most is pretty strait forward, with your Ball Book as reference. There are also companies that sell premade mixes, like Mrs. Wages. They can help you get your feet wet and produce product for the shelf easily.

Is your "pressure cooker" approved for canning? I bought an All American canner ten years ago and happy I did. You can water bath can in the All American and save the cost of pots to do this, along with the pressure canning The All American was designed for. That said, the All Americans have nearly doubled in price. Pretty crazy.

Doing it again, I would look at the secondary market and possibly do WTB adds. Not sure about the other companies, but All American has replacement/refurb parts for sale. I'd also look at other brands. With the kind of pricing they are asking, there could be solid competition?

Last edited:

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    We are needing to work on that. We have a large selection of heirloom seeds but need to get up to speed on canning.
    I formed a canning class for INGO years ago, but you can do your own. All county extension(annex) offices in the entire USA are required by law to offer them without any fee(since ww2). The class will give you all basics and a much better idea of what you will need.

You can find contact information and setup your class at the following link.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    We have a pressure cooker. We have canning jars. Beyond that, we have not researched canning methods.
    Do you wash your vegetables with a dilute vinegar solution prior to going into the jars?
    No, but we do wash them well in water. The canning process itself will kill most bacteria n other bad things. Pressure n heat r your friends. No need for any additional cleaning products.

+1 on the ball canning guide. @bwframe

A heads up on the purchase of any pressure canner, unless you use a outdoor heat source (turkey fry type), make sure your home stove can support the weight of a large canner full of water and canned products. Adjust size accordingly.

We do use bullion, chicken n beef as a par boil for meats. You can’t tell my canned venison from canned beef. Same for rabbit from chicken. Makes great quick meals.

Buy your jars, lids n rings off season. Prices r much better.
    Add to your jars yearly. A couple of years you will have enough jars for quite a while.

+1 on county extension office, they will check your pressure gauge yearly. That’s a must do. @smokingman

Keep us updated, ask any questions you may have. Good luck.

Post Script: we’ve started freezing our chili n spaghetti sauce. Takes up less room in the freezer in 1 quart plastic containers. Frees up jars for veggies n canned meats.

purdue98

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2015
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    I formed a canning class for INGO years ago, but you can do your own. All county extension(annex) offices in the entire USA are required by law to offer them without any fee(since ww2). The class will give you all basics and a much better idea of what you will need.

You can find contact information and setup your class at the following link.
    Thank you!

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Thank you!
    Oh,and if you ever buy spaghetti sauce at the store get the Classico brand. They are actual canning jars and use standard lids and rings. The labels come off easily after soaking in water and you can use them just like you would any other jar. The sauces are good and well free canning jars for other things. :)

Also if you have metal wire shelving grab/ask for one of the empty boxes from classico sauces to keep your jars on/in.

Reactions: Mij

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    We invested in a freeze drier three years ago and it has dramatically improved our food storage. Short term freeze dried stuff gets put in canning jars that can be reused in a long term TEOTWAWKI situation. We also produce about 10-15% of our calories which gives us a leg up if we ever have to ramp it up. Right now it’s just not time effective to do more.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    This^

It's easier to buy most of your food, which we do, but having the knowledge and a working expandable plan to produce all of it in times of need is a good approach.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have opted for a a lot more fermenting then canning this year. Running the daylights out of the dehydrator also.

It's great to see more and more folks going to freeze drying. I'm hoping that market will moderate in pricing as it becomes more mainstream?

That said, it's comforting to have canning jars and knowledge in the bank. If the power goes out long term, all of the freezer stuff can all be pressure canned. Camp Chef double burner hanging off the back deck will get to work with the All American to make everything shelf stable.

A shopping tip for jars is to buy them at Menards, when on sale. Always check ball jar pricing when at Menards. They have seasonal sales, but there are times when the sale isn't advertised, sometimes it's clearance. I've picked up widemouth quarts and pints for 7-8 bucks a dozen, with lids and rings.

Remember a couple three years back when the price of canning lids went through the roof? I checked my inventory and discovered six dozen lids I had forgotten about. They we're on sealed cases of new jars, bought on sale at Menards for just in case.

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    This thread reminds me I need to order a new sealing ring for our canner. Our's is leaking quite a bit and takes some messing with it to get a good seal. It's a Mirro 0512 that I got used.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    This thread reminds me I need to order a new sealing ring for our canner. Our's is leaking quite a bit and takes some messing with it to get a good seal. It's a Mirro 0512 that I got used.
    Companys still around, buy two. Brush with cooking oil at end of each season. :thumbsup:

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    I have opted for a a lot more fermenting then canning this year. Running the daylights out of the dehydrator also.

It's great to see more and more folks going to freeze drying. I'm hoping that market will moderate in pricing as it becomes more mainstream?

That said, it's comforting to have canning jars and knowledge in the bank. If the power goes out long term, all of the freezer stuff can all be pressure canned. Camp Chef double burner hanging off the back deck will get to work with the All American to make everything shelf stable.

A shopping tip for jars is to buy them at Menards, when on sale. Always check ball jar pricing when at Menards. They have seasonal sales, but there are times when the sale isn't advertised, sometimes it's clearance. I've picked up widemouth quarts and pints for 7-8 bucks a dozen, with lids and rings.

Remember a couple three years back when the price of canning lids went through the roof? I checked my inventory and discovered six dozen lids I had forgotten about. They we're on sealed cases of new jars, bought on sale at Menards for just in case.
    Yep, when covid came around ,which ironically I’m recovering from again, I saw the handwriting on the walls and bought a butt ton of lids and rings. I was actually able to help family and friends at harvest time.

Top Bottom