• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe G

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    SE Indiana
    This thread, and a few others, were on my mind when I was the alternate juror in a trial the past 2 days where defendant had OD'd on heroin (found out after the trial that it was actually while he was in jail for other drug related charges).

EMT's had to give him 2 doses of Narcan - first one via the nasal mist, second about 10 minutes later via IV, before he regained consciousness.

Guy never testified, but now that the trial is over I'm finding out that he's a habitual loser and has likely been resuscitated with this before.

Really makes me think how much he's cost society over his short life.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    The goal with Narcan isn't awakeness, it's breathing. The nasal Narcan comes on slowly and doesn't usually give the violent wake ups that slamming IV can do.

gotta love the jail ODs.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I look at it more as giving someone who has made some bad choices a chance to change direction. He may or may not, but even if it's an exceeding small percentage...

There's something I heard somewhere once: " [Neither] drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God."

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    In my experience, it is nice to have but remember the abuser might and usually has a violent reaction after becomming consicious. Don't let one or two people administer the narcan without proper training. They WILL have their hands full.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    In my experience, it is nice to have but remember the abuser might and usually has a violent reaction after becomming consicious. Don't let one or two people administer the narcan without proper training. They WILL have their hands full.

That's why you only give enough to get them breathing on their own, give them a full shot and they are going to come up trying to kill you.

oDbCo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 18, 2016
    Franklin/Greenwood
    If it is life saving with little negative side effects of improper use, I say family and the abuser should have it. Especially the abuser. I think the abuser would be more likely to keep it on them, therefore a better chance of being saved.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    If it is life saving with little negative side effects of improper use, I say family and the abuser should have it. Especially the abuser. I think the abuser would be more likely to keep it on them, therefore a better chance of being saved.

And speedway gas station attendants

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    When narcan is needed, the abuser is generally unconscious and drifting off into respiratory failure. IME, continuing living really isn't even near the top of the priority list to a person deep into opiate withdrawals.

Top Bottom