• When did you last practice canning?

• Total voters

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I bought my Presto 23 quart canner off eBay about 5 or 6 years ago for $30...immediately replaced the lid gasket and the safety valve. It came with a weight, not sure what the value is...doesn't matter because it has a gauge on it too. I took the gauge to a buddy of mine and he made sure it was accurate somehow. You really ought to replace the lid gaskets every three years at the most, depending on how much or how little canning you do. I think that doing no canning is worse on the gasket than regular use because they tend to get a little dried out.

A brand new 23 Qt pressure canner will cost you between $75 and $85 on Amazon for Presto or Granite Ware...the All American 21.5 Qt pressure canner is about $220 on Amazon...If it was me, I'd buy TWO of the Presto's instead of one of the All Americans. The AA's are VERY EXCELLENT but my Presto Canners are 25 and 30 years old and they work flawlessly. So I can't see spending THAT much extra money on the AA..but they are very very good canners.

Top Bottom