• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Ok all, I have a question about my hand loads, do these primers look flat like there show signs of over pressure?
    The silver primer cases are my hand loads, the brass primer cases are American eagle AR 223......both have flat looking primers, both have slight claw marks from the extractor.....I'm baffled

My hand loads are :
    Mixed range brass full length resized
    Primer pockets decrimped with a counter sink
    CCI 400 small rifle primer
    26 grain of CFE 223
    55 grain Hornaday 55 grain boattail

Rifle 16 inch SS 1 in 7 AR carbine

Both the factory loads and my hand loads landed in a nice pile at about 2 o'clock

My 2nd part of the question is could it be undergassed or mechanical? My can pin has some wear on it, my rings my be worn as the bolt slips together with ease,and I haven't checked the gas tube for blockage

What your thought.....

Thanks you in advance

Aaron

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Whats your COAL? 26gr of CFE appears to be right in the middle for 55gr Hornady BT w a COAL of 2.20"

Are you having cycling issues? Have you crono'd them? I don't see them as flattened either?

:ingo:

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    No cycling issues......no I haven't crono'ed them yet......these shoot with the same accuracy of my factory loads,gun cycles fine, factory ammo and hand loads land in the same pile.....just wanting to double check as I'm the paranoid guy, who if it can go wrong it will......these primers just looked a little funny to my untrained eye.......2nd opinions don' hurt and indent a safe rifle / reload to shoot

Aaron

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Nah.

They are not migrating OUT of the primer pocket.

When you punch one out, if it is still parallel on the sides, and is not sharp around the corner, it's PROBABLY not over pressure. That is, for most primers. Now if something like a hard cup CCI 34 looks like that, then you are probably way overdue to tilt the can less.

The one reason I ALWAYS use Remington 7.5BR in my SR stuff is for that reason: I know what it looks like, and I know what they do.

-Nate

Top Bottom