• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rrschooter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 5, 2013
    A question would be how would anyone know it’s a franken ar vs a custom ar?
    I have a Anderson lower I assembled, with a drop in trigger (which anyone can swap out) with a upper that I just happened to find at Anderson? Could you tell I assembled it?
    Now in some instances it’s an easy tell! But not always!
    I have a friend who won a contest, it was a Wilson combat upper, with a coda evolution barrel, coda carbon fiber hand guard, coda muzzle break, and more…so basically a customized Wilson combat upper, I told him, I’d buy a Wilson combat lower, he did, he also bought a palmetto lower kit, with mag pul stock and grip and a cmc trigger…I told him that at the range, people will see “Wilson combat” on the lower and think it’s a “Wilson combat” ar15…not a franken ar, so I ask again how will anyone know it’s not a “factory ar?”
    In my case, it's a little obvious, as the upper is more of a gloss finish while the lower is more of a matte finish. But I get your point.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    16" 1:7 nitride finished barrel (currently has a Griffin titanium mini paladin brake on it, could swap out for a standard aw birdcage), low pro gas block with pistol length gas system under a 15" keymod free float rail with a no name afg. PSA M16 bcg, Magpul Moe grip, Anderson lower with PSA lpk, PSA ept fcg, a Magpul acs stock on a milspec buffer tube with a carbine spring and buffer, and a gen 3 pmag (it'll be a new one still in packaging so I don't have to unload one of the open ones) Currently has a Bushnell 1-4 ar optics ffp scope in a monstrum cantilever mount on it that could stay on it for the right price; also has a set of MFT flip up buis, although I'm not really a fan of them and would probably recommend replacing them if you're not running a scope/red dot.

Thanks! I'll keep an eye on the parts section, in case you decide to break it up.

I might be interested in the barrel and gas system, depending on price.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    The only thing I can say is to list exactly what you have and come up with a realistic price that you think the market will bear without any expectation of getting out of it what you have in it, and you'll find out if it will sell at that price. You'll just have to be patient and set a mark that you'd be willing to let it go for. Maybe it'll sell and maybe it won't. Might have to go the parts route.

Looks like someone may already be interested in some of the parts and is letting you know.

Last edited:

rrschooter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 5, 2013
    Thanks! I'll keep an eye on the parts section, in case you decide to break it up.

I might be interested in the barrel and gas system, depending on price.

I don't think I'd be taking the upper apart, but would certainly consider selling it whole.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I don't think I'd be taking the upper apart, but would certainly consider selling it whole.

I think that is a wise idea.

That said, it also takes me out of the loop, my friend. I'd be in the same position as you, trying to sell off extra components that I don't have a use for. Already got plenty of those. :rolleyes:

On a side note, when it comes to selling in the classies, location is becoming a bigger factor than it has been. Gas prices are now a much bigger factor than they were.

Personally, I have a couple of different "parts" adds that I might make offers on, but for the doubled cost of making the trip.

GunLuver0223

Plinker
    Rating - 90%
    16   2   2
    Mar 30, 2021
    Clinton
    You might even do a little better if u sell the BCG separately, then the upper and the complete lower. Ik from experience the BCG and complete lower will sell.pretty quick

rrschooter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 5, 2013
    Luck
    I think that is a wise idea.

That said, it also takes me out of the loop, my friend. I'd be in the same position as you, trying to sell off extra components that I don't have a use for. Already got plenty of those. :rolleyes:

On a side note, when it comes to selling in the classies, location is becoming a bigger factor than it has been. Gas prices are now a much bigger factor than they were.

Personally, I have a couple of different "parts" adds that I might make offers on, but for the doubled cost of making the trip.

Luckily I'm in Johnson county, but work in Marion, and have a farm in Monroe county (which takes me through Morgan county quite often), so I'm nearby a lot of people at some point during the week.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I would consider buying a "Franken" build, I can't afford a high end (nor do I want a "high" end AR) I wouldn't mind another gun in .223, and for a good price, anything that goes wrong I could afford to fix it.....JMHO

rrschooter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 5, 2013
    not trying to game the system. It had been a while since I'd been on Ingo, and I had been using Armslist for these sorts of things. Now that they've been beat down by the Anti's, I was looking for a place to buy/sell/trade, and the 50 post limit appeared to be new, so I'm engaging with my locals again.

Big tech and the anti's just suck. making what should be simple stuff so much harder. At least INGO's still around as a bastion of freedom. Kudos to you guys and everything you do.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Strip them and sell the parts off.

Your "custom" is not Jimmy's or Billy's custom. Every FFL can tell you about people wanting more money on their Taurus as it has a "custom trigger job". Yeah, no one cares.

I have a friend that has a slight fixation with Colt ARs, he even bought an Expanse, and then, like a fool, put money into it. He stripped it, sold the stripped lower at a show in Indy, gifted the upper to a nephew for Christmas, and put the ALG-ACT trigger that he put in it in another AR. My friend learns slowly.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I'd rather spend $800 on a personal build than $600 on a used factory rifle. As long as the majority of the parts from the personal build are quality parts that intrest me. Most factory rifles $1000 and less have several things that I'll ditch into the parts bin.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'd rather spend $800 on a personal build than $600 on a used factory rifle. As long as the majority of the parts from the personal build are quality parts that intrest me. Most factory rifles $1000 and less have several things that I'll ditch into the parts bin.

I've never had a factory rifle. :)

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    not trying to game the system. It had been a while since I'd been on Ingo, and I had been using Armslist for these sorts of things. Now that they've been beat down by the Anti's, I was looking for a place to buy/sell/trade, and the 50 post limit appeared to be new, so I'm engaging with my locals again.

Big tech and the anti's just suck. making what should be simple stuff so much harder. At least INGO's still around as a bastion of freedom. Kudos to you guys and everything you do.
    No problem here, you are past the magic 50. Whenever a Mod sees an upping a post count comment a :shady: is required.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Strip them and sell the parts off.

Your "custom" is not Jimmy's or Billy's custom. Every FFL can tell you about people wanting more money on their Taurus as it has a "custom trigger job". Yeah, no one cares.

I have a friend that has a slight fixation with Colt ARs, he even bought an Expanse, and then, like a fool, put money into it. He stripped it, sold the stripped lower at a show in Indy, gifted the upper to a nephew for Christmas, and put the ALG-ACT trigger that he put in it in another AR. My friend learns slowly.
    If a guy has say a LaRue trigger in an Aero Precision lower with Aero lower parts I'd be willing to pay the extra $80-100 out for the trigger. It just saves me time to have to buy it and install it myself.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    If a guy has say a LaRue trigger in an Aero Precision lower with Aero lower parts I'd be willing to pay the extra $80-100 out for the trigger. It just saves me time to have to buy it and install it myself.
    That's a spicy trigger too but I was raised a single stage man as all right-thinking Americans are single stage fans, and Colt AR fans.

Top Bottom