• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    I headed out the DNR range this morning. It was a bit chilly, but it was worth since I was the only one there. I have updated my A4 by removing the carry handle and adding a Primary Arms RDS and an MBUS rear sight.

I start ed by zeroing the irons. The first 3 shots were not even on the paper. :)::n00b:A few clicks up and many clicks right and I was in business. I wasn't driving nails, but it was close enough to call it zeroed and say I just need to practice.

Next I zeroed the RDS. Right out of the box, it was shooting just a tad low but the windage was dead on. A few adjustments and once again, I called it good. I do have a few observations about the RDS:

1) i know it is an Aimpoint clone, but it did hold zero all morning. I'm not saying the two are anywhere near in quality, but for the $50 i spent, this works fine.
    2) I definitely prefer the ACOG over a RDS. I certainly see how a RDS would be very hand in a close range situation. But for my purpose of punching holes in paper, the ACOG is terrific. If I didn't have the ACOG on my M4, I would not hesitate to get a RDS for my SHTF rifle.
    3) Interestingly enough, the RDS's mount did not budge after shooting it. the stock ACOG mount would come unscrewed a little, which would result in a change in zero. The LaRue mount I now use for my ACOG solved that problem.

I will say that despite the extra barrel length, I shoot the irons on my M4 better than the A4. Perhaps the barrel on the Colt is better? Perhaps I just need more practice? Maybe both?

Next, I broke out my WASR AK. I have had this gun for almost year and have never seriously tried to sight it in. Well after today, my AK is zeroed to minute of man at 50 yards, which is just fine for me. After seriously shooting it today, I must say that I don't much care for it.

1) I don't like the short stock
    2) I don't like the sights. The front sight is a giant pain in the ass to adjust for elevation, even with the sight tool.
    3) I don't like that the bolt doesn't lock back.
    4) I don't like the safety
    5) I don't really even enjoy shooting it

I do like that it's low maintenance and (so-far) reliable. And the fact that eats all ammo and the price of that ammo is relatively cheap.

Here's a pic of the damage I did with my A4. Some of the shots are standing, crouching and sitting. I used both irons and the RDS. In terms of killing zombies, my accuracy was acceptable. But I'm still disappointed a little bit.

I finished my morning by picking up my son from school. Now it's time for a little daddy-son time. :rockwoot:

20110504095151.jpg

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Nice range report! I have had a couple M4's and 1 A2, for myself I liked the 20" barrel better. I'm building an A4 now so I can do like you and swap from a carry handle to an Acog hopefully. My brother does have an aimpoint clone on his M4 as well and it does great. They were all pretty accurate though, as long as I held it steady! On the AK side I like the feel and function of my Maadi way better than my brothers wasr! Mine feels more comfortable to hold in a firing stance, I know the wood is quite different on each. I usually use a coke can as a target and if I can hit it over and over I am comfortable with that for pinpoint accuracy! Again nice report an it's chilly out! :yesway:

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Lemme know if you're looking to dump that wasr :)

Sounds like a pretty fun morning! Enjoy hangin with the kiddo!

i unloaded my first WASR and found myself wanting one again. I guess I feel like every collection needs at least one AK. :ar15:

anyhoo, here are some pics of my A4 and Primary Arms RDS.
    20110504162553.jpg

20110504162614.jpg

20110504162650.jpg

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    The Primary Arms Aimpoint clones are actually pretty good. I bought one a few years ago when I was trying to decide what optics I wanted on my main shooter. I figured I'd gamble a hundred bucks for the Primary Arms optic and mount, and was pleased. I liked it so much I actually bought a real Aimpoint!

The ONLY beef I had with my Primary Arms RDS was that the thing was terrible on batteries. My guess is that is partly what makes a cheap clone a cheap clone.

I even ran a carbine class with it, and had no trouble all day until the end when my batteries failed. That was actually not so bad though, as it forced me to use my BUIS at an unexpected time.

I'd happily buy another one again if I were going to use it solely for plinking and general range use. For home defense, and certainly for professional use, there is no substitute for the real thing.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    The Primary Arms Aimpoint clones are actually pretty good. I bought one a few years ago when I was trying to decide what optics I wanted on my main shooter. I figured I'd gamble a hundred bucks for the Primary Arms optic and mount, and was pleased. I liked it so much I actually bought a real Aimpoint!

The ONLY beef I had with my Primary Arms RDS was that the thing was terrible on batteries. My guess is that is partly what makes a cheap clone a cheap clone.

I even ran a carbine class with it, and had no trouble all day until the end when my batteries failed. That was actually not so bad though, as it forced me to use my BUIS at an unexpected time.

I'd happily buy another one again if I were going to use it solely for plinking and general range use. For home defense, and certainly for professional use, there is no substitute for the real thing.

thanks for the rep. :rockwoot:

Well the batteries are better than the EoTech 512 I used to have. My PA has sat with batteries in it since the first week of December and it worked this morning. The 512 would last about 3 months, 4 tops.

mine will be for plinking. If it continues to perform, I could use it as a HD weapon. This will be unlikely though and I would rather use my carbine than M4.

For anyone who might be interested, I posted a slightly more detailed review of the PA RDS in the "Review" section.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    just thought i would follow up a little bit on this.

During their Memorial Day weekend sale, I purchased a Primary Arms 5x magnifier in a flip mount. I took the whole package out to the range last week for a test drive. When I turned the RDS on, I noticed that the dot was no longer cowitnessed; rather it was at 7:00 of the front sight. I checked the mount and it was tight. When I fired the first shot, the red dot jumped back to the center of the glass and was co-witnessed again. I checked the mounting screw again and it was tight as can be.
    The sight required a bit of adjusting, but did remain zeroed for the rest of the time I fired the rifle.

The 5x magnifier I am still on the fence about. While it certainly works, I am spoiled by the glass on my ACOG. Now I realize that for what the price difference is, the quality should be very different. But it is hard to go back. My biggest complaint about the PA magnifier is that even on the lower settings, the dot appears enlarged and contorted thru the magnifier. I am not sure if this is supposed to be the case, as I have never used a RDS/mag combo before. But I found I was more accurate with just using the RDS, though I certainly would be able to take down a zombie using both.

Top Bottom