Prime example of why you carry in the vehicle (Video)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    Searched 7 pages of new posts and the last 4 days of GFD Forum and didn't find this video.

Be it on your person or stored in a compartment elsewhere...

This video does claim to be "Very Graphic", However, there is no blood nor is it gruesome.
    It does have a happy ending for the good guy that was originally attacked, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UgwfGl_bnI&list=FL6zfYttCzvxSdc2ywE5b7Qg&index=1

After watching the video... Are there any minor details you notice with it that are worth discussing?

Thoughts?

Lcass

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County IN
    I'm new to cc. In a situation like this if not caught on video (or even if it was) will the shooter (good guy) have legal issues. I get it's better to be alive and able to fight in court so not interested in wise cracks just interested in the legality of self defense shooting

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I would guess he saw the BG approaching in his door review mirror so had a chance to get/pull gun sooner than he would have without seeing the BG.

He seemed to be a good 'point shooter' since he didn't have the chance line up his sights.

It looked like to me that he knew what he was doing when he got out of his truck/suv.

Beardown

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Southern Indy
    important to have it readily available. not in front pocket of pants or buried in the console. i love happy endings.

This. And it makes you think about keeping your firearm loaded and safety off. It looks like he used his off arm to fend off the guy before pulling the trigger. If he didn't have a round chambered that could have ended differently.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I would of gone up to the guy and kicked his firearm away first, then do a quick 5 and 25 for any other potential attackers, then assume a position 3 feet from his head with my weapon pointed there telling him not to get up or try anything and that the police are on their way.

If he wasn't dead already.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Searched 7 pages of new posts and the last 4 days of GFD Forum and didn't find this video.

Be it on your person or stored in a compartment elsewhere...

This video does claim to be "Very Graphic", However, there is no blood nor is it gruesome.
    It does have a happy ending for the good guy that was originally attacked, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UgwfGl_bnI&list=FL6zfYttCzvxSdc2ywE5b7Qg&index=1

After watching the video... Are there any minor details you notice with it that are worth discussing?

Thoughts?
    Well, I noticed that he kept shooting after the BG was in retreat. Laws may be different in Venezuela, but it's my understanding that here in Indiana, that's a no-no. :dunno:

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Well, I noticed that he kept shooting after the BG was in retreat. Laws may be different in Venezuela, but it's my understanding that here in Indiana, that's a no-no. :dunno:

I didn't see the bad guy in retreat. He looked like he as maneuvering for a better firing position continuing his attack.

If I was on the jury, that's what I saw in the video and I would make that point emphatically to the other jurors.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

I think you can easily articulate that he's still a threat. I wouldn't arrest the guy and would recommend no charges to the prosecutor.

We've had pretty similar situations come through the office a time or two, including one more...questionable...than that one and the shooter came out fine.

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    Ultimately, It's all about how it's appeared to the jury as far as legal concern goes...
    And given the situation, the bad guy could have easily retaliated or attacked again after "being shoo'd off" by the good guy.
    It's been a common theory and thought for many people that if you shoot a bad guy in the back, you are now the murderer... and that is not always the case; such as this.

This scenario could have been altered in a way that the good guy in the vehicle would've been the bad guy.
    (ie. Robber walks up WITHOUT a gun drawn and says "get out of your vehicle or I'll kill you"; Guy in vehicle says "I have a gun",
    bad guy runs away immediately and THEN man in vehicle proceeds to take him down as he's fleeing the scene)....

But honestly, in a moments notice like this, you should only have one thought in mind that EVERYONE should have;
    an instinct for survival when your life is in risk of great bodily harm or death.
    Above all, if you can escape the scene safely without having to take a life, that's the ultimate goal - yet again,
    the only way the good guy could have gotten out of there would've been to back up in the direction of the bad guy...
    re-entering himself as a target to the assailant.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well, if I'm wrong, (and it appears that I may indeed have been), then I'm happy to be wrong, because my personal feeling was that the good guy did nothing wrong. I think I would have a hard time making myself stop shooting at someone that was trying or had just tried to kill me, whether they were retreating or not! :yesway:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I posted this video on Mindset Lab's Facebook page because it is a prime example of what we work with in Vehicle Force on Force.

IMO the guy did several things right. His head was on a swivel and he did a nice job keeping his situational awareness up. It's tough to see him through the windshield so we don't know how early he drew, but it appeared to be fast and clean. +1 for carrying a gun and knowing where it was when he needed it. It also appears at the very end that he makes his own 911 call (opposed to having someone else do it).

The line between "falling backwards" and "retreating from the attack" can sometimes be fuzzy, but I don't think any of his rounds were too late. The good guy brought the fight back to the bad guy and the bad guy lost.

Two things could've been done better from my vantage point as a Monday morning quarterback-- he should've topped off his pistol after assessing just in case the guy's buddy came back, and he shouldn't have approached the downed bad guy.

Bravo!

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I would of gone up to the guy and kicked his firearm away first, then do a quick 5 and 25 for any other potential attackers, then assume a position 3 feet from his head with my weapon pointed there telling him not to get up or try anything and that the police are on their way.

If he wasn't dead already.

This is a really bad idea. What if he comes to as you approach him? What if he is playing possum? What if you kick the gun away and he has a backup? What if he has a knife?

Just keep your gun trained on him, and, if he moves to attack you shoot him again.

Depends. Unarmed and running away? Probably. This guy had a gun was definitely a threat. The first couple of shots seemed fine.....thast last one may have some civil problems? Not sure. I'm not a lawyer...but I think you can definitely say he was a threat. You'd probably need a la-la liberal jury to get any money out of him.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

This is a really bad idea. What if he comes to as you approach him? What if he is playing possum? What if you kick the gun away and he has a backup? What if he has a knife?

Remember that guns are distance weapons, so don't negate their usefulness by standing within arms reach of someone. Use the gun's ability to your advantage and put some distance and cover between you and the downed bad guy.

Top Bottom