• ...and so much more!
  • Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    I don’t shoot enough to reload, but have read some good articles here about it. Not looking at getting into reloading but just wanting to know how many different sized primers are there and what calibers to they fit? Can the same size primer have different “power” level? Can’t say I ever saw a chart or explanation on this.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Without getting into 50bmg+ there are 4 dimensional "sizes" but lots of flavors and specs. The standard sizes are
    Small pistol, small rifle
    Large pistol
    Large rifle
    Shotgun

Small rifle is dimensionally the same as but has a thicker cup than small pistol to withstand free-floating firing pin taps so you can use SRP in pistols but not the other way round as long as you have a healthy hammer/firing pin spring.

Then there are Magnum varieties of each.
    Then you can add "match" to all varieties

The diameter and depth are measurable. cup thickness is generally accepted but harder to measure when assembled. Magnum and Match stuff is where the arguments are: is brand x "magnum" really hotter than "normal"? but brand Y marks them "for normal or magnum loads"? match designation is mostly manufacturing tolerances... anyone qualified makes standard primers but the match loads get the guy with 20years experience. They aren't necessarily made different, just better. ish.

As for calibers, the name is pretty descriptive. most pistol calibers <45acp use SPP, .45 and up use large. same for rifle: large headed cases use LRP (IE .308 and up), smaller use SRP. there are thousands of calibers so that list could get long. shotgun... self explanatory.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Small pistol - standard and magnum versions.
    Small rifle - standard and magnum versions, plus the CCI #41 which is NATO spec.
    Large pistol - standard and magnum versions
    Large rifle - standard and magnum versions, plus the CCI #34 which is NATO spec.
    #35 size - used in 50 BMG and a few similar size cartridges.
    209 size - used for shotgun shells and some in-line muzzleloaders

That's current stuff, there are several obsolete sizes of shotgun primers and a few obsolete sizes of boxer primers. In berdan primers, there are about a dozen different sizes - some are still used and some are obsolete.

Small pistol and small rifle are physically the same size, but different in other attributes. Some interchanging is possible with appropriate load development, but you need to know precisely the "what and why" of what you are doing and is not something to be taken lightly.

Large pistol and large rifle are the same diameter, but are different heights. They are not interchangeable.

Berdan primers of various sizes used to be sporadically available to hard-core reloaders here in the US and are still made by several European companies. Traditionally, Berdan reloading was much more common in Britain and Germany, as well as a few other countries. Russian Murom (Tula-branded) berdan primers were available in the US until Obama banned the import of goods made by that company. I'm hoping for the import of some Unis-Ginex berdan primers in the next year or so. The current ammo shortage and Russian ammo import ban are going to make people want to reload their berdan primed cases more than usual.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Without getting into 50bmg+ there are 4 dimensional "sizes" but lots of flavors and specs. The standard sizes are
    Small pistol, small rifle
    Large pistol
    Large rifle
    Shotgun

Small rifle is dimensionally the same as but has a thicker cup than small pistol to withstand free-floating firing pin taps so you can use SRP in pistols but not the other way round as long as you have a healthy hammer/firing pin spring.

Then there are Magnum varieties of each.
    Then you can add "match" to all varieties

The diameter and depth are measurable. cup thickness is generally accepted but harder to measure when assembled. Magnum and Match stuff is where the arguments are: is brand x "magnum" really hotter than "normal"? but brand Y marks them "for normal or magnum loads"? match designation is mostly manufacturing tolerances... anyone qualified makes standard primers but the match loads get the guy with 20years experience. They aren't necessarily made different, just better. ish.

As for calibers, the name is pretty descriptive. most pistol calibers <45acp use SPP, .45 and up use large. same for rifle: large headed cases use LRP (IE .308 and up), smaller use SRP. there are thousands of calibers so that list could get long. shotgun... self explanatory.
    I haven’t started reloading 45acp yet, but in picking up my brass noticed 2 different primer sizes in that round.

Thanks OP, great question!

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    There is really only 5 primers for rifle, shotgun, and pistol you need.
    Large Rifle
    Large Pistol
    Small Rifle will work as small pistol and vice versa. Been told they are the same from the manufacturer. So I only buy Small Rifle primers for both for around 20 years. Have not noticed any differences in the two.
    50 BMG primers.
    209 primers for Shotgun.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I haven’t started reloading 45acp yet, but in picking up my brass noticed 2 different primer sizes in that round...

Yes, .45ACP is made with both small and large primers. The majority are large.

Some rifle calibers such as .308 and 6.5 Creedmoor normally have large rifle primer pockets but there are specialty cases made with small primer pockets for the precision rifle crowd.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I don’t shoot enough to reload, but have read some good articles here about it. Not looking at getting into reloading but just wanting to know how many different sized primers are there and what calibers to they fit? Can the same size primer have different “power” level? Can’t say I ever saw a chart or explanation on this.
    Here are some photos of primer flash tests for small and large rifle. They may not speak to what you wish to reload, OP, but they are indicative of the wide variability in various brands of factory primers

My preference is for Federal LRPs for my 270 loads with Winnie a close second. It should be noted that a hotter primer will usually somewhat change the performance of a given bullet and powder load, often to the extent of performing like a load incorporating 0.1 to 0.2 grains more of the selected powder

Despite the current predilection for ballistic app based loading programs, they just get you in the right ballpark (which can also be done by other means). There isn't much that can substitute for range testing to fine tune any given load for your particular firearm - which is a large part of the fun, anyway

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TravGreen2703!!
    Top Bottom