• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mcwulf30

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    Is there a shelf life for primers????

Exp: Winchester K4002P No. 6 1/2 - 116 from the late 70's.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    No shelf-life, my cousin is loading with primers bought in the 80's. I'm shooting surplus ammo from the 50's.
    I will recommend you stay away from wolf primers I have had nothing but trouble with wolf SP primers.

rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    No shelf-life, my cousin is loading with primers bought in the 80's. I'm shooting surplus ammo from the 50's.
    I will recommend you stay away from wolf primers I have had nothing but trouble with wolf SP primers.
    I was just considering posting to see if anyone had trouble with wolf primers. I reloaded some 9mm with them and had numerous failure to fire in a Ruger, a Browning and a Glock. The firing pin would strike the primer creating a visible dent but the primer still did not fire. I will not be using anymore Wolf products.

jrainw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Morgan county
    I've used wolf for a couple of seasons of high power and had no problem. A lot of competitors are using them and things seem to be working fine.

biggen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    I used some Winchester primers awhile back that came in wooden trays, figure they were from the 40's or 50's They went bang, no problem.

I wouldn't have normally used them, but I was just trying to make some loads that went bang, and had them laying around from a bunch of stuff I had bought.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    What caliber+what firearm??
    I just need to know...Bill.

I was just considering posting to see if anyone had trouble with wolf primers. I reloaded some 9mm with them and had numerous failure to fire in a Ruger, a Browning and a Glock. The firing pin would strike the primer creating a visible dent but the primer still did not fire. I will not be using anymore Wolf products.

Sig 226 in 9mm. Like rem788, shot in multi firearms. Left a dent in the primer and would not go off, some if you tried multipule would finally go but most wouldn't.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Biggen used older ones than me. I was given shotgun primers from the OLD CCI company. The ones where they say "from the good old boys at" on the package, before they were bought out by Blount corp. That had to be the mid 1960's. They were the all copper ones, not even nickle plated, and just starting to corrode after who knows how long on a garage shelf. 1000 out of 1000 went off just fine. I was kind of surprised.

Still only use CCI, REM, FED or Winchester primers. Kind of my Patriotic thing.

Yerbaman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Speaking only to the age of the primers, you should have no problems. Another nice thing about primers is that they are much more tolerant to high temperatures than powder. High climatic humidity seems to have no affect on them, which is why they don't have to be sealed in an airtight container (I used to live in South America.)

BigRiggs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    shibumiseeker "Those are very dangerous being that old. I would recommend sending them to me for proper disposal."

Top Bottom