• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    Seen this sign today in my travels and took a pic of it. This was posted on the entrance door of the town hall for prince's Lake.

I was thinking this was illegal? :dunno:

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Does it contain a courthouse? I'm no expert on the law but unless it does I'm pretty sure that's 100% unenforceable. Not that they won't try to enforce it, but that when it came down to it they couldn't stand up to a challenge.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    Does it contain a courthouse? I'm no expert on the law but unless it does I'm pretty sure that's 100% unenforceable. Not that they won't try to enforce it, but that when it came down to it they couldn't stand up to a challenge.

No it does not have a courthouse.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Yeah unless there's a court, school, or some federal thing going on there, it is my understanding neither the Marshall or the town council has the authority printed on that sign.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Quick. Get a video of yourself being denied entry or thrown out for OC, then file suit pronto.

Remember acc. to the INGO cowboys if you aren't actually prevented from carrying, then the law did not affect you!!

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    All I saw was an OVB, which would be a strech

§ 34.05 COURT PROCEEDINGS. If a person denies a violation, fails to pay a civil penalty assessed by the Violations Clerk after having entered an admission of violation, or fails to admit or deny a violation, the Violations Clerk shall report this fact to the Town Attorney who shall initiate a proceeding in a court of appropriate jurisdiction against the person for the violation.

(Ord. 223, passed 2-26-95)

Apparently the court of appropriate jurisdiction is not located in Prince's Lake. I wonder what they really do when someone refuses to pay their fines...

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    Apparently the court of appropriate jurisdiction is not located in Prince's Lake. I wonder what they really do when someone refuses to pay their fines...

It gets passed on to whatever court the officers write their regular tickets into. If they catch someone speeding in city limits, it's an ordinance violation. They can go pay their fine at the clerk, sometimes substantially cheaper than a municipal court. If the alleged violator wishes to contest, the ticket is converted to an IC violation and forwarded to whatever court they use.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I say go back with IC preemption statute in hand, carefully remove said sign, and hand it to them while saying. "Here you go. I took this down since its an illegal and unenforceable ordinance. I'd hate for you guys to get sued. BTW, here is the IC that prohibits this sign." :):

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    The ONLY ordinance regarding firearms for Prince lake indiana is this.

§ 130.06 USE OF FIREARMS. (A) It is hereby declared unlawful for any person or persons to fire, shoot or otherwise discharge any gun, revolver, rifle, shot-gun or any other type of firearm within the corporate limits of the town for any purpose other than in the defense of his or her life or the life of another person, or the protection of his or her property entrusted to him or her by another person.

(B) Law enforcement officers of the town, of Johnson County and of the State or Federal government, and their duly constituted deputies in the discharge of official duty are excepted from the provisions of this section.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I thought signs on govt bldgs or businesses trumped the law on carry? Am I wrong?

You're correct.

Meaning - you're wrong.

Mostly.

It all depends on the type of government building, actually.

Some are verboten (mostly those with courts and/or jails), some are A-OK.

-J-

Top Bottom