• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Never A Victim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Hamilton County
    Good points BBI and Coach. My experience has been that if you take good courses for numbers 1 and 2, they will include basic legal elements (when you are justified to shoot, never talking to the cops after a shooting, etc). But I see your points.

And I already carry a revolver as a backup, so we will have to find something else to argue about. Sorry.

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    It's been touched on a bit but maybe since the topic of medical aid (however you wish to term it) isn't fun and doesn't help you feel like you can star in the next navy seal movie it takes a long way back seat. If a scenario unfolds where somebody has a weapon (it doesn't matter who's doing the attacking or defending or surviving explosions and building collapse) the common denominator is always in lifesaving. There is so much emphasis on stopping a threat and so little on saving a life. Vehicle collisions, work place falls, thanksgiving turkey fryer fires and boating accidents would all benefit from life saving skills but would be tough to solve with bullets and proper sight alignment. I would guess it's a mutual thing when training classes don't receive the attention needed to keep an instructor certified and offering the topics so fewer classes are scheduled and fewer students come across it and so on.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Good points BBI and Coach. My experience has been that if you take good courses for numbers 1 and 2, they will include basic legal elements (when you are justified to shoot, never talking to the cops after a shooting, etc). But I see your points.

And I already carry a revolver as a backup, so we will have to find something else to argue about. Sorry.
    The revolver comment was directed at me. Coach and I have discussed the merits a few times.

"never talking to the cops after a shooting"

That's frankly a rather foolish thing to teach people. You should be making a limited statement that hits certain key points. "Never" and "always" tend to be the beginning of bad advice.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    It's been touched on a bit but maybe since the topic of medical aid (however you wish to term it) isn't fun and doesn't help you feel like you can star in the next navy seal movie it takes a long way back seat. If a scenario unfolds where somebody has a weapon (it doesn't matter who's doing the attacking or defending or surviving explosions and building collapse) the common denominator is always in lifesaving. There is so much emphasis on stopping a threat and so little on saving a life. Vehicle collisions, work place falls, thanksgiving turkey fryer fires and boating accidents would all benefit from life saving skills but would be tough to solve with bullets and proper sight alignment. I would guess it's a mutual thing when training classes don't receive the attention needed to keep an instructor certified and offering the topics so fewer classes are scheduled and fewer students come across it and so on.

There's good classes available. The Red Cross used to offer basic first aid and CPR classes, I assume they still do. Local EMT schools have night classes. There's a few tactical medic programs scattered around. Memphis, TN has one that I can't think of right off the top of my head. Dark Angel, maybe? Something like that. I want to say Sig Academy and some of the other manufacturer sponsored places offer them, too.

bb37

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    North of US40
    Some local fire departments offer basic first aid and CPR training to the public. Check your FD's web site for public education or training opportunities. That'd be a start, though certainly not the end, of emergency medical training and preparation for non-healthcare people. Don't forget the supplies (bandages, tourniquets, etc.). The $10 first aid kit offered at many retail locations simply isn't going to be enough to deal with a trauma situation.

Never A Victim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Hamilton County
    The revolver comment was directed at me. Coach and I have discussed the merits a few times.

"never talking to the cops after a shooting"

That's frankly a rather foolish thing to teach people. You should be making a limited statement that hits certain key points. "Never" and "always" tend to be the beginning of bad advice.

What things should you or shouldn't you say to the cops after a shooting? What experience do you have with this? Have you been a police officer before?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    What things should you or shouldn't you say to the cops after a shooting? What experience do you have with this? Have you been a police officer before?

Heh, yeah I've been a cop before. You can read my resume at the class Coach mentioned. In short, if you shoot someone in Marion Co we may meet. I've investigated hundreds of shootings, stabbings, robberies, etc.

I'm running on low sleep and time at the moment, so pardon the brevity.

Establish that you were the victim.
    Point out any evidence before it disappears. Fire fighters love to kick shell casings...
    Point out any witnesses before they disappear.
    If there are still additional suspects still out, say so and give descriptions.

That's the real bullet point version.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    There is medical training, at all levels, much closer than TN.

I'm sure there are, I got most of my medical training in Kansas and then what was marketed to LE. I was passing on what I was familiar with simply in an effort to show that there is significant training options out there, you've just got to know where to look.

szorn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Northcentral Indiana
    If talking about personal safety in general what about all of the non-physical skills that statistically will be needed long before a firearm ever will?

While legalities are important what about Mind-set (mental preparation), de-escalation / conflict resolution, awareness /avoidance, etc. Statistically speaking the majority of potentially unsafe situations can be diffused through appropriate mental preparation and de-escalation skills without ever resorting to physical defense, let alone having to resort to a lethal force response. That being the case if we placed our priorities in order of most likely to be used, a firearm would be near the bottom of the list and then those skills needed to effectively use it for self-defense would be way less in number than the majority of firearms proponents train. Just my thoughts...

In regards to medical training...unless it's part of the job or someone lives in an environment where it's more of a necessity how important is it really? I was a CPR / FA instructor for many years and I taught these courses on a regular basis. I have trained and taught martial arts and self-defense for 27 years. I have also worked in fitness facilities for almost 10 years. In all of that time I only had to use CPR skills one time and aside from putting a bandaid on a small wound from time to time (which anyone without training can do) I have not been forced to use these skills. However, I have found myself in numerous situations that required the ability to de-escalate or resolve conflict to avoid making things worse.

Steve

Last edited:

CavMedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Plainfield
    In regards to medical training...unless it's part of the job or someone lives in an environment where it's more of a necessity how important is it really?
    Very important. Think about the recent events where having multiple people trained in trauma management would be a blessing. First, the Boston Bombing, locally the stage collapse at the state fair. Any shooting that has happened recently. Don't discount training for others because YOU have not had to use those skills. I have never had to shoot someone with a concealed handgun, I don't knock and discount the training though...

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I saved a life with back blows once. Then was informed by the school nurse after the fact that back blows were no longer a current practice. Medical skills can be handy, even if archaic.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I saved a life with back blows once. Then was informed by the school nurse after the fact that back blows were no longer a current practice. Medical skills can be handy, even if archaic.

I've treated some pretty serious lacerations (not just on me) and had to deal with some other situations like a guy having a seizure in a movie theater. Medical training is very useful in my life so far.

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    Not considering combat environment stuff:

Witnessed (within 20 feet) two chocking victims saved by back blows (non-medical provisional rescued)
    One near drowning victim (I rescued)
    2 Stroke victims I was not educated specifically on but was able to utilize common sense practices from many hours of training to assist until EMS arrived and give a thorough briefing to.
    Numerous heat casualties. Maybe 20 at differing levels.
    A gunshot wound to the hand (glock disassembly) and another to the leg (range ricochet)
    1 automobile accident. I treated (probably not the right word...maybe stabilized) for suspected head/neck/back injury

Maybe more. This is just what immediately comes to mind.

Top Bottom