• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gmviso

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    NE Indiana
    I am pretty sure I ran across this before, but I have done multiple searches of the forums and can't find it.

So, if I wanted to have a private shooting range on my own rural property in Indiana, what is the minimum acreage I would need?

Also, what other requirements would have to be met?

Do the laws vary by county?

Thank you.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    im not sure on the minimumn acreage, i do know it must have a backstop of some type.

Be aware that this isn't any kind of law or anything... Just good common sense.

Some people like to have enough acreage to allow for bullet travel should one make it over a berm of some kind. If you design your layout well enough...IE make it so that you're shooting at some kind of downward angle...then the no-man's-land behind the berm probably doesn't need all that much.

But if you're going to be shooting clays...then you'd want a couple hundred yards beyond...enough to let the shot lose velocity and fall harmlessly.

Also, i THINK there are plans online for building your own home range. It might very well be an NRA link... If you search for "NRA home shooting range construction" or something like that then it might come up?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    There is no minimum acreage and there is no requirement for a backstop in Indiana. Urban areas may have ordinances, and some counties may have some types of regulations, but there's nothing uniform. Obviously you are responsible for anything downrange of your shooting, and a responsible shooter WILL make sure there is adequate protection. But if you can legally shoot a gun outside where you are, you can own half an acre and shoot. Though it will probably not endear you to your neighbors...

I have 150 acres and my backstop is in the woods and back up by a 200' high wooded ridge.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    In Allen County, the zoning folks like to stick their nose into folks business. Don't create complaints or host formal events and you should be OK. And if you ask them about this, they will be on your a** constantly to see if you have done it. Just do it and be quiet.....

I belong to a small Gun Club that is in a rural backyard. Every three years we have to go to a zoning hearing to renew our grandfather clause for a 50 yard outdoor smallbore range and 50 foot indoor range. If any of the neighbors ever complain about us, we will probably be finished. And this range has been here for 30 years or more.

Indiana_Dave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Careful asking questions about laws here. A lot of well intentioned people might tell you what is accurate in their jurisdiction but inapplicable to yours. I think most of this will be local ordinance, as has been mentioned up above here. You should ask your county if their rules are on-line and review them yourself.

I live in a good conservative city and local ordinances say I cannot shoot anything in my yard - a gun, a bow, or even an air gun (which I'd read to include even air soft guns).

ArevaloSocom

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2014
    Hobart
    In Allen County, the zoning folks like to stick their nose into folks business. Don't create complaints or host formal events and you should be OK. And if you ask them about this, they will be on your a** constantly to see if you have done it. Just do it and be quiet.....

I belong to a small Gun Club that is in a rural backyard. Every three years we have to go to a zoning hearing to renew our grandfather clause for a 50 yard outdoor smallbore range and 50 foot indoor range. If any of the neighbors ever complain about us, we will probably be finished. And this range has been here for 30 years or more.

wow

Top Bottom