• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kilo11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Avon,IN
    I hope this is the right category for this thread. I apologize in advance if its not.

Here's my story and question........

My buddy wanted to sell his AR15. He put it up on the internet and got a reply later that evening. The person that was interested showed up at the house and gave him a grand for it and took it with him. I believe they swapped info and made a "receipt" so to speak.

My question is.....Is this the way you sell you gun, or is there a more "official" way to do it? Is it even legal to do it this way?

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    FAQ

faq.png

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...16185-ingunowners_faqs_sticky.html#post630600

Indiana Statute requires that the person you sell a handgun to in a face-to-face transaction must be 18 years old and an Indiana resident. Furthermore, you may not sell a gun to a person prohibited from owning one. Since you have no way of performing a background check, you may prefer to have an FFL broker the trade for you and perform a NICS check. Otherwise, many people ask to see a driver's license to verify residency and age, and an LTCH to make at least a token effort to verify if the buyer is a "proper person". If the buyer resides in another state, the sale must go through an FFL. The FFL will have full details about the requirements and procedures. You should also plan to write out a receipt for the sale. Have two copies, one for you and one for the buyer. He may need it to get out of the building with his new purchase, and you may need it for your records.

Sigasaurus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    Plainfield
    Yes perfectly legal although I wouldn't recommend doing sales at your place of residence. Even if you meet a mere 2 miles from your home. Really don't agree with the in home sales in the world today.:twocents:

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Yes perfectly legal although I wouldn't recommend doing sales at your place of residence. Even if you meet a mere 2 miles from your home. Really don't agree with the in home sales in the world today.:twocents:

+1 I would never do that unless I had an FFL that was based in my house. I dont want anyone to know I have guns and where I live.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX

Only time I ever do sales in my home is when its to someone I have known for over a decade.

Always always always ask to see Indiana ID before handing over a gun. I stress im not going to copy down information from it, I just need to make sure they are a resident as I want to stay on the legal side of the road.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    My question is.....Is this the way you sell you gun, or is there a more "official" way to do it? Is it even legal to do it this way?

You can simplify it to asking two questions. "Are you a resident of Indiana?" and "Is there any reason why you couldn't normally buy or own a firearm?" I've never ran into anyone who seemed too young, but I suppose I would ask if they were at least 18 if I felt it was necessary. You don't have to see their ID, they don't need a LTCH, you don't need a signed receipt, and I wouldn't ever meet anyone at my home.

IANAL, YMMV

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel

Don't they know that McDonald's parking lots are the preferred location for this sort of thing?

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    FAQ

faq.png

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...16185-ingunowners_faqs_sticky.html#post630600

Indiana Statute requires that the person you sell a handgun to in a face-to-face transaction must be 18 years old and an Indiana resident. Furthermore, you may not sell a gun to a person prohibited from owning one. Since you have no way of performing a background check, you may prefer to have an FFL broker the trade for you and perform a NICS check. Otherwise, many people ask to see a driver's license to verify residency and age, and an LTCH to make at least a token effort to verify if the buyer is a "proper person". If the buyer resides in another state, the sale must go through an FFL. The FFL will have full details about the requirements and procedures. You should also plan to write out a receipt for the sale. Have two copies, one for you and one for the buyer. He may need it to get out of the building with his new purchase, and you may need it for your records.

I'll say it again... THERE'S A FAQ?!!?

donnie1581

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Elwood, IN
    I bought a pistol off of a guy from an ad on armslist.com last Wednesday. I met him at his house for the transaction. He asked to see ID in his post which I had no problem with; when I talked to him on the phone I told him I had a LTCH to show him also. He wrote out a receipt that included the SN# of the pistol, his full name, his LTCH #, my full name and my LTCH #. Having a receipt with this info on it made me feel comfortable that the gun wasn't already stolen.

Top Bottom