• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NDguido

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Nappnee, Indiana
    I work at a private University that currently has a policy against allowing firearms to remain in parked cars on University parking lots. The new law that takes effect should void that policy, but does a private University fall under the "school" law?

I've heard people say.........(even people on this site), that if the police choose to, they could even consider a church a school area if there are children's classes going on, so........I'm just trying to cover my bases.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    No, colleges and universities aren't "schools" as defined by the Indiana Code.

And neither are Sunday Schools, FWIW.

-J-

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    And another thing...

I think, in the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) the actual Indiana Code is cited where it concerns schools n' such. Not for sure, though.

-J-

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    The church school reference is to a church that actually has pre-k - 12 classes or runs a daycare throughout the week. As was posted above a church that just has Sunday school isn't considered a school per the IC. Neither are universities, colleges or trade schools.

Astrocreep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indy
    Make sure you read the FAQ on this site!
    Read Indiana Code on firearms possession/ownership and use of force!

Those that responded are correct about the laws in Indiana, but you gotta know the law yourself if you're going to carry safely and responsibly.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Make sure you read the FAQ on this site!
    Read Indiana Code on firearms possession/ownership and use of force!

Those that responded are correct about the laws in Indiana, but you gotta know the law yourself if you're going to carry safely and responsibly.

Excellent point. Read the laws, undertand the laws. Anything else & you're putting your future in the hands of someone who doesn't "know" any more than you do & won't take the rap for you if you break the law.

NDguido

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Nappnee, Indiana

I couldn't find anything in the FAQ. That's not to say it's not there, just that I didn't see it.

For future reference, let's all assume I've checked the FAQ before everybody responds to a question with "the search button is your friend", or check the FAQ. Better yet, if your answer is check the FAQ..........don't bother responding.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    I couldn't find anything in the FAQ. That's not to say it's not there, just that I didn't see it.

For future reference, let's all assume I've checked the FAQ before everybody responds to a question with "the search button is your friend", or check the FAQ. Better yet, if your answer is check the FAQ..........don't bother responding.

Sorry. My post wasn't agreeing with the "check the FAQ" part of his post but about the reading the laws yourself part.

I try to never just tell some to read the FAQ. I will however, tell you to "read the IC". It may seem like there's not much difference but there is a world of difference. The FAQ is just a ready reference made up by a bunch of (very knowledgable) laymen like us. It could be wrong (not to say it is, It's probably not). The IC is the source, though. IT IS THE LAW.

If you don't know where to look or how to find stuff in the IC, just ask. I or someone else here will help you out.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    I work at a private University that currently has a policy against allowing firearms to remain in parked cars on University parking lots. The new law that takes effect should void that policy, but does a private University fall under the "school" law?

I've heard people say.........(even people on this site), that if the police choose to, they could even consider a church a school area if there are children's classes going on, so........I'm just trying to cover my bases.

Universities are not covered by the new "parking lot" bill.

Asked and answered in my post here (includes Indiana Code and excerpts from the new law)
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo..._a_gun_on_campus_-_open_forum.html#post941977

NDguido

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Nappnee, Indiana
    Sorry. My post wasn't agreeing with the "check the FAQ" part of his post but about the reading the laws yourself part.

I try to never just tell some to read the FAQ. I will however, tell you to "read the IC". It may seem like there's not much difference but there is a world of difference. The FAQ is just a ready reference made up by a bunch of (very knowledgable) laymen like us. It could be wrong (not to say it is, It's probably not). The IC is the source, though. IT IS THE LAW.

If you don't know where to look or how to find stuff in the IC, just ask. I or someone else here will help you out.

Don't worry about it. I was a bit short and shouldn't have been.

As is typical on a Sunday morning, I lost my religion trying to do a hundred different things before church starts. :D

apologies all around for my attitude.

Top Bottom