• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Renegade1978

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Porter
    I've been told that the best survival weapon is a .22 rifle. Doesn't make a lot of noise but can keep you stocked on rabbits and other small game. It seems to me that I'd also want something bigger for protection. And I'd want to buy as few different KINDS of ammo as possible. So I'm thinking a .22 handgun and rifle, and a .44mag handgun and rifle. Seems like I'd be pretty set with these, huh. :dunno:

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    that's not a bad combination at all. the 22 lr rifle and pistol is a great combination. they can do just about everything you will need them to do and then some. you can carry 4k rounds of 22lr like its nothing. the 44 mag rifle and pistol combo is better suited for defense but can also be used for game and everything else. ammo is a bit more expensive and alot heavier to pack but still not to bad. the only down side i really see is your max range with the 44 and 22lr is about 100 yards. but they should suit you fine.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I've been told that the best survival weapon is a .22 rifle.

What do you want to survive? What's the scenario?
    What's your strategy for approaching it?
    How does a firearm fit in? What do you want it to accomplish for you?

The "best" can only exist within a context.

The most important thing you can do, should such a situation arise, is accurately assess the situation (i.e. the context). Once that’s done, if you have any kind of knowledge of firearms at all, and an adequate battery of arms from which to draw, you’ll be able to choose the most appropriate for the situation at hand when the time comes.

My everyday survival weapon of choice is a pistol in a service caliber because my everyday survival does not involve hunting squirrels, rabbits, etc.; it involves protecting myself from 2-legged predators.

Should the situation change, i.e. earthquake, widespread power failure, social unrest, invasion of mutant zombie lizard men, etc.; my choice of arms would change to fit the situation and my response to it.

The .22 lr has a number of advantages (and some serious drawbacks), depending on the situation, as does the 50 BMG and everything in between.

Are you wanting to build a collection that will meet your needs? It sort of sounds like it.

Last edited:

Indiana_Dave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    I think the .22 is a great start for the money. As you say, it has a lot of utility; but I think it's primary benefit is that the ammo is so cheap. You can probably get the gun and a couple of thousand rounds for well under $200.

At the risk of hijacking this thread, I do not think hunting will be an option which lasts for long. If people ignore hunting laws (which they will) in a shtf situation, most game (and all deers) will be dead in short order. Deer were hunted to extinction here in Indiana during the depression, when Indiana had far fewer people. Best bet for food is to buy and store it now. Use the gun to defend the food.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I do not think hunting will be an option which lasts for long. If people ignore hunting laws (which they will) in a shtf situation, most game (and all deers) will be dead in short order. Deer were hunted to extinction here in Indiana during the depression, when Indiana had far fewer people. Best bet for food is to buy and store it now. Use the gun to defend the food.

+1. Additionally, hunting isn't a very efficient way to meet one's food needs for very long.

Civilization didn't really take off until agriculture (crops and domestic livestock) developed.

See how context (and your response) may affect your choice of firearm?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I think the .22 is a great start for the money. As you say, it has a lot of utility; but I think it's primary benefit is that the ammo is so cheap. You can probably get the gun and a couple of thousand rounds for well under $200.

At the risk of hijacking this thread, I do not think hunting will be an option which lasts for long. If people ignore hunting laws (which they will) in a shtf situation, most game (and all deers) will be dead in short order. Deer were hunted to extinction here in Indiana during the depression, when Indiana had far fewer people. Best bet for food is to buy and store it now. Use the gun to defend the food.

I agree that the .22lr has alot of utility and you can carry thousands of rounds with you, compared to even a 9mm. I think you also need to question yourself on the situation and if it is something you are going ride out at home or if you have a bugout bag ready. I live on the edge of semi-rural area and have a plan in place for staying at home and also if we need to head out. The home plan includes participation of some really great neighbors so that we can create community protection. At home is where we would keep our larger caliber weapons. But if it was a major catastrophy, my daughters who are away at college already know our rendezvous point...hopefully it's not an EMP so my truck runs to pull my camper. If not they we grab the backpacks and do it the old-fashioned way...hoof it.

Everyone is different and you do what you need to do...

Renegade1978

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Porter
    What do you want to survive? What's the scenario?
    What's your strategy for approaching it?
    How does a firearm fit in? What do you want it to accomplish for you?

The "best" can only exist within a context.

The most important thing you can do, should such a situation arise, is accurately assess the situation (i.e. the context). Once that’s done, if you have any kind of knowledge of firearms at all, and an adequate battery of arms from which to draw, you’ll be able to choose the most appropriate for the situation at hand when the time comes.

My everyday survival weapon of choice is a pistol in a service caliber because my everyday survival does not involve hunting squirrels, rabbits, etc.; it involves protecting myself from 2-legged predators.

Should the situation change, i.e. earthquake, widespread power failure, social unrest, invasion of mutant zombie lizard men, etc.; my choice of arms would change to fit the situation and my response to it.

The .22 lr has a number of advantages (and some serious drawbacks), depending on the situation, as does the 50 BMG and everything in between.

Are you wanting to build a collection that will meet your needs? It sort of sounds like it.

In the event society breaks down, I have a cabin in the Canadian wilderness to which I would retreat. It's near fresh water, mountain springs, and abundant fish and wild life. Pretty rough living, as it is quite far north. I would just hope that there is somewhere to get gasoline for my 4-wheeler and snowmobile.

whipfinish

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Central Indiana

Dave, just a quick note of clarification to your deer statement, Indiana already had a deer population decline in the 30's which wasn't due to the depression, just poor herd managment. Indiana now has an excess of 1.5 million deer with an annual harvest of approximately 130,000 which has a minor impact on the overall population due to existing herd breeding. While a severe depression today may cause these numbers to erode, it is doubtful if the numbers will ever get to the point they were in the early 40's and 50's.

Indiana_Dave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Dave, just a quick note of clarification to your deer statement, Indiana already had a deer population decline in the 30's which wasn't due to the depression, just poor herd managment. Indiana now has an excess of 1.5 million deer with an annual harvest of approximately 130,000 which has a minor impact on the overall population due to existing herd breeding. While a severe depression today may cause these numbers to erode, it is doubtful if the numbers will ever get to the point they were in the early 40's and 50's.

Thank you for the correction. I know that our DNR does a great job managing today's healthy herd. Perhaps deer will last longer than I thought.

I still believe, though, that planning on deer hunting if shtf is a bad plan. As mentioned by someone else, above, hunting takes a lot of time. Also, I think that, unless you have your own land to hunt, landowners will be very defensive about trespassers hunting their land (I know I will be defensive.)

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Thank you for the correction. I know that our DNR does a great job managing today's healthy herd. Perhaps deer will last longer than I thought.

I still believe, though, that planning on deer hunting if shtf is a bad plan. As mentioned by someone else, above, hunting takes a lot of time. Also, I think that, unless you have your own land to hunt, landowners will be very defensive about trespassers hunting their land (I know I will be defensive.)
    Defensive? Thats my plan! Soilent Green for everyone!:rockwoot:

Top Bottom