• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kennedy759

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    New Salisbury Ind
    went to the New Albany show and ar-15 30 rd mags were on my buy list, found a metal one, no markings, heavy rough finish, will not fit into the mag well on my armilite. bought some plastic ones, no problem. I also have some old metal mags, smooth finish, lots of markings and no problem. anyone know what it could be? going to stick with Magpul in the future.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Magpul, Lancer, Okay, D&H, period.

Those are the most proven mags out there. Everything else dollar for dollar just makes me ask "why". Lots of junk mags out there that look just like the ones I listed, but they're junk. Friends don't let friends buy promag.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Magpul, Lancer, Okay, D&H, period.

Those are the most proven mags out there. Everything else dollar for dollar just makes me ask "why". Lots of junk mags out there that look just like the ones I listed, but they're junk. Friends don't let friends buy promag.
    Funny you mentioned Okay Industry mags. Several years ago, I bought a half dozen of them USED. Someone had cleaned them up and installed new anti-tilt followers,. All 6 of them have lived in my AR range bag ever since and they're all I use at the range unless bench shooting with a few Magpul 10 rounders.
    Point being, old or new, quality is quality.

Last edited:

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I'm all about my okay surefeeds. I have plenty of magpul, but I just love my metal mags and I can't seem to break them. I have not tried abusing them, but I have confidence in them. Magpul is in the same boat.

I have a 1/3 chance of a cheap mag crapping out on me first range trip... looking at you 2015-16 psa and crown point gun show 2019

knutty

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 5, 2016
    Noblesville
    Funny you mentioned Okay Industry mags. Several years ago, I bought a half dozen of them USED. Someone had cleaned them up and installed new anti-tilt followers,. All 6 of them have lived in my AR range bag ever since and they're all I use at the range unless bench shooting with a few Magpul 10 rounders.
    Point being, old or new, quality is quality.

I've put a large number of rounds through Vietnam era Adventure Line 20 round mags and cant ever remember having an issue with any of them. Some of them were already well used when I got them about 20 years ago. Like you said, quality is quality.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I think it's hard to argue with the magpuls and lancers when you want to bet your life on the magazine. It's hard to argue with the Okays and D&Hs when you want to bet your life on them and still feel nostalgic for the good old days.

I have a bandoleer full of a mix of AR mags that I use when training. There's Magpul of every generation, Okay & D&H, some with or without ranger plates, or actual "mag puls", and not trying to brag but I still have a couple of the original C-Products stainless mags in that bandoleer that are bombproof unlike the new junk ones getting put out under that name today.

If I'm being fair, there's new players in the magazine game that are putting out good stuff, but even with everything going on in todays world we can get 10 packs of pmags delivered for under $100 and I just scratch my head and wonder why every time someone buys some other brand. Then again people will still buy promags from Cheaperthandirt so you can only lead a horse to water.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    went to the New Albany show and ar-15 30 rd mags were on my buy list, found a metal one, no markings, heavy rough finish, will not fit into the mag well on my armilite. bought some plastic ones, no problem. I also have some old metal mags, smooth finish, lots of markings and no problem. anyone know what it could be? going to stick with Magpul in the future.
    Duramag stainless steel or aluminum magazines are good to go. I have used them in 5.56, 7.62x39mm, and 6.5 Grendel.

D&H, Okay are good to go also.
    I am mainly stocking those except for a few range magazines.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    @ kennedy759
    Just done a quick search (and I suck at internettin') I found 30 round D&H GI mags @ PSA for $9 and a 10 pack of 30 round Gen2 Pmags at Mag Shack for $100. These prices are nothing special, so for a C-note you can put that magazine guessing game behind you.
    Down in the Accessories and Gear category is a couple of magazine deal threads, members (that have posted in this thread) will keep ya advised on good deals and often with free shipping.

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    I echo the above statements regarding Pmags, OK, and D&H.
    I have also had good luck with the Brownells metal mags. Watch for them on sale, they really drop the price.

About 6 months ago when Sentry was introducing their new carbon fiber mags, I bought 60 Sentry Hexmags @ $5 each delivered. I have no complaints whatsoever about these, my first non-Magpul plastic mags. They also offer different colored followers and base ID tags, for load identification.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I echo the above statements regarding Pmags, OK, and D&H.
    I have also had good luck with the Brownells metal mags. Watch for them on sale, they really drop the price.

About 6 months ago when Sentry was introducing their new carbon fiber mags, I bought 60 Sentry Hexmags @ $5 each delivered. I have no complaints whatsoever about these, my first non-Magpul plastic mags. They also offer different colored followers and base ID tags, for load identification.
    $5/ea!!!??? Very nice!

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    i'm having a gooood time with the classic firearms branded 300blk mags. i have 20 of them and have not had a single problem out of them. i also have 8 magpuls & 8 hexmags...all great.

didn't realize i had that many ar mags

Top Bottom