Problem with Chicago Amtrak ticket agent.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrm400

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Hobart
    My wife and I are taking daughter and 3 grand kids to the northwest this week. We're going out on a train and flying back after seeing Mt St Helen's, Mt Hood, Pacific ocean and a bunch of sightseeing. This morning I called Amtrak to inform them I will be checking a handgun in luggage as required 24 hrs in advance. (48 hrs early) The woman on the phone became very upset that I was going to do this, locked my online account, told me I was creating a "security awareness situation" by bringing a gun on board the train. She didn't care that it was declared, unloaded, locked up and even disassembled ( my choice to field strip it) . She finally came up with a reservation number for my pistol but it was plain that she didn't like it one bit.

I have done this before without issue. This lady must be a friend of Sarah Brady or something,"........ Anyhow, we'll be there Thursday ready to travel. Hope there are no problems.

By the way my acct is still locked.....don't know what to make of that.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    What I can't fathom is how locking your online account does anything. Do you have a USB connection on your pistol to upload a virus or something? :dunno:

jrm400

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Hobart
    I contacted the NRA and actually got one of the attys. He knows the situation and is more concerned about in the event I have any actual actions against me.

Kind of thinking to go unarmed on this vacation. My whole familys vacation would be ruined if I fell prey to a "Chicago Trap". Kind of thinking about my 58 yr old butt in Cook County Jail on some bs......for a night, or two.... Chicago is pretty corrupt,.......and powerful.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    What are the DHS security measures for checking bags, or even walking onto a train?

Last edited:

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I contacted the NRA and actually got one of the attys. He knows the situation and is more concerned about in the event I have any actual actions against me.

Kind of thinking to go unarmed on this vacation. My whole familys vacation would be ruined if I fell prey to a "Chicago Trap". Kind of thinking about my 58 yr old butt in Cook County Jail on some bs......for a night, or two.... Chicago is pretty corrupt,.......and powerful.

But you might come out of it owning a nice chunk of Chicago (if there is such a thing).

jrm400

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Hobart
    Yeah I have no idea what locking my acct does.... I'll see Thursday. I have tried to reach a supervisor but they expect me to tell the whole story before talking to a supervisor. Will try Thursday in person....whether or not I decide to Bring that checked luggage or leave at home

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I think a call to management is in order, and let them know that their training program is sorely lacking. Not only this lady, but there are many other people in "important" positions that don't know firearm laws, rules, regulations, or just company policy.

jrm400

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Hobart
    At this moment it remains a very small issue.....an annoyance

Deb, my wife says don't push it........I probably won't but if I'm feeling really patriotic Thursday I'm takin my sigma.....just in case they're confiscating...lol

Last edited:

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    A, Chicago Libs are not going to treat you well at all when you mention a gun. Policy/laws mean nothing thos people are not like us :). Do not go near Chicago with a gun!
    B, Amtrak? Really? I thought they shut down 30 years ago. If you want to give the kids the "train across America experience" hop a freaking freight train :) Amtrak sucks!

jrm400

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Hobart
    Well we thought about it (wife Deb and I) and discussed it and...........bags are packed. One suitcase is the Pelican Case that I will check. I hope Chicago leaves me be, but ........ we're into this trip for a lot at this point, and aren't doing anything wrong by exercising this legal activity, and aren't going to let some liberal's opinion govern our travel. Deb and I travel a lot and are usually both armed. We have done the Amtrak thing too, and checked a firearm without hassle though we didn't originate in Chicago. The airlines never have given us a problem either, and when we drive somewhere it's great. If they arrest me tomorrow it will have to be for obeying the law.

Damn the ignorrant libs!

Will post a few vacation pics next week when we get back.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Is the Amtrak station in Indy not there anymore? It was maybe 92 or 93 when I was there last, that's why I'm asking.
    It's still there, but he's a lot closer to Chicago. Add in the fact that most of the Amtrak trains come through Indy late at night to boot and it would not really be worth it. Especially, since the train goes from Indy to Chicago anyway.

jrm400

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Hobart
    I live in NW IN, and the trip is a Chicago to Portland through the great plains and across the rockies. We have rooms on the train reserved and are all set. It will probably go well. Yesterday I was venting after experiencing the babble of a "Brady Bunch" ticket agent. We have planned this for months, and too late to reroute. All aboard in about 19 hours :) .... uh er well probably..lol

Top Bottom