• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Not sure if this should go here or in Gunsmithing, so feel free to move if need be. With that being said...

Took my AR pistol to the range today after putting it all together last night. When I shoot, it fires, loads another round, but then I am unable to shoot again. I would appear as if the hammer isn't being cocked? I don't know; I'm new to this. I do know that I was able to fire another round once I put the safety on, and took it off again. Any ideas what this means?

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    When the gun is empty cycle the action, pull the trigger, let the hammer fall, and with the trigger still pulled back pull the charging handle to recock the hammer, see if the hammer resets (you'll be able to hear a loud click when you let the trigger go forward)

Curious, did the bolt lock back on the last round?

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    When the gun is empty cycle the action, pull the trigger, let the hammer fall, and with the trigger still pulled back pull the charging handle to recock the hammer, see if the hammer resets (you'll be able to hear a loud click when you let the trigger go forward)

Curious, did the bolt lock back on the last round?

I'll give this a go here in a bit. And yes the bolt did lock back.

Edit: With an empty gun, I pull the CH, pull the trigger and hold it down, pull the CH again, and when I release the trigger the hammer resets and I am able to pull the trigger again.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    The function check from this page (:: Guides) for the hammer assembly says that when I cock the hammer, pull the trigger and don't let go, and then pull the trigger again, the hammer should be caught by the disconnector when pushed back. Mine catches, but not all the way. I have to release the trigger and then I can push it in a little bit more to get it to lock all the way back,

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    If you don't have a spare disconnector or complete FCG laying around, I'd be calling PSA on Monday to let them know the problem and to swap you FCGs.

If you do have a spare FCG laying around and it has the same issue, then your trigger and or hammer pin holes weren't drilled to spec

spitfire51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    I had this problem when I first built my AR. If I remember correctly, a light sanding or polishing right on the back of the hammer fixed things nicely.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Please stop dropping the hammer on the lower! You are going to end up cracking it.......

I thought it seemed bad, but the guide I was using says to do this to test it:

[SIZE=-1] -Verify that hammer locks to the rear when pushed back.
    -Verify that hammer pivots forward when trigger is pressed.
    -Without releasing the trigger, push the hammer back again and verify that it locks (caught by disconnector).
    -Releasing the trigger should not cause the hammer to pivot fully forward (caught by trigger).
    -Hammer will fall when trigger is pressed.

I guess I should catch it with my other hand?
    [/SIZE]

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Is the trigger reseting on its own (going forward when you release it)? I'D have to look to see if there even room to do it, but could the trigger spring be backwards (holding the trigger to the rear vs forward) or not installed? Hammer is dropping off the disco onto the trigger when you engage the safety, so the safety is doing the resetting...

-rvb

Last edited:

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Like Mvician said, don't let hammer smack the bolt release like that or you'll be replacing it. Simply put your thumb over it and slowly guide it down. All you are checking for is if the hammer is being released, no need to let it go flying forward. When the upper is pinned on with a bcg installed in it, it will then be safe to dryfire.

It's tough to say without holding it, but it looks to me as if the safety is making too much contact with where the trigger meets it. If that's the case, work the trigger until it creates enough wear that it slips or use something to polish where they contact. Another possibility is an issue with the disconnector. Also, is your hammer spring in backwards?

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    It's tough to say without holding it, but it looks to me as if the safety is making too much contact with where the trigger meets it. If that's the case, work the trigger until it creates enough wear that it slips or use something to polish where they contact. Another possibility is an issue with the disconnector.

That's a good possibility, too, that the sides of the trigger are rubbing on the sides of the notch in the safety and not letting the trigger reset. If that's the case, I'd do a little more than polish, id remove some metal and give it a hundredth or so clearance.-rvb

Top Bottom