• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Of the wildlife variety. Can they be shot and killed or do they have to be trapped? A friend of a friend contacted me and asked since they have several beavers on their property tearing stuff up and causing quite a bit of damage.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    I just found that. Thanks guys. When it says "any beavers taken must be reported to DNR, does that just apply to trapped or is that shot or trapped?

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Remember, since they are considered "Furbeaers" there is a "Season" on them, which ended in March. Beaver are now "out of season"

DNR: Hunting & Trapping Seasons 2012 - 2013

Beavers are also listed as a nuisance animal that can be killed or trapped without permit. Scroll all the way to the bottom of this link. It says nothing about dates so am I correct in assuming that that applies to any time of the year? It also says that nuisance animals can't be traded, sold, gifted or bartered.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/6031.htm

Last edited:

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Why not approach them? Safety reasons or legal?
    Legal. On my fathers property we had big troubles with them. When we ran out of dynomite, we spent several seasons destroying dams manually...THAT is just not worth the effort. As soon as you break though and move to another area to cut it, they are already repairing the last break, right there as you watch.... We met with conservation officers about it after a few phone calls and got the advice from them to find a trapper that would run a line, or hire a trapper, or shoot them. We followed up with more phone calls and a line of questions we had and it boiled down to shoot them and let them lay. If an officer were to happen to witness this and then see you walking toward it, it could be construed to "hunting" and they would assume you were going to pick up your game. We shot quite a few but didn't even make a dent. Eventually we found a trapper that ran a line for us and took them out. It was fun walking the line with him, when we found a trap with a beaver in it, he used what amounted to a syringe filled with acetone at the end of a long stick to dispatch the varmint. One of those suckers weighd 85 pounds!!! You should have seen the smile on Bills face when he saw that sucker!

Last edited:

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    I don't understand. Isnt it completely legal to shoot them if they are causing damage? They have taken several trees down and there is obvious damage.

Top Bottom