• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deereman7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2016
    Greencastle
    Good morning. I'm getting older and i now wear glasses. I have noticed over the past couple years my new, higher magnification scopes i have issues after 8 seconds looking at a target starts getting blurry. I have my reticle in focus, and parallax is spot on. I get a perfect picture until 8 seconds then gets blurry. According to the internet i have muscle strain. According to my eye doctor i have dry eyes. My eye doctor is not a shooter, he does help with law enforcement with pistol correction, which i have no issues. My question is there any eye doctors that you guys know in central Indiana that are actual shooters? It's getting bad enough that i need to get it resolved or retire. Thank you for any input

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I don't any info on docs to help resolve the issue but I used to get a headache after shooting an extended period of time through magnified optics. Especially with targets at longer distance. What I've done to alleviate that is look through the optic with both eyes open until I'm pretty much where I want the dot/cross hairs to be. Then I'll close my left eye and take the shot

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Are you using a blinder on your non-shooting eye? A simple piece of paper target scotch taped on your lense will allow you to shoot without squinting.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    8 seconds is short, but eye fatigue is definitely real and my eyes blur out pretty quick from staring through a scope or set of sights. That's just what happens when you close one eye and focus your vision hard on something.

Acquire target and shoot fast before your eyes give out.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Are you adjusting your diopter correctly on your scope?

This sounds like a problem caused by improper diopter adjustment causing eye strain.

Deereman7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2016
    Greencastle
    Yes, my reticle is very clear and crisp. I'm in focus and parallax is adjusted. I can drop my head a little and cross hairs don't move. On the one eye two eye. I always shoot scopes one eye. I've tried both eyes. It's the same, the tape over the left eye makes it much worse. Magnification definitely affects how blurry the target it. 25 power i can look 4 seconds longer. 55 power my eye fades pretty quick. The new scope i just got has a fine crosshair with a very small target dot. I probably didn't choose wisely.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    It is easy to get the reticle adjustment wrong.
    Start with the scope pointed at a featureless background; white wall, for example - distance doesn't matter.
    Look off in the distance, for about 10 seconds to let your eye focus on infinity.
    Quickly look through the eyepiece at your reticle. It should be sharp and clear at the instant you look through the scope. If your eye has to focus on it, you're out of adjustment.
    Make small changes and repeat the process.
    The goal is an instantly sharp reticle when your eye is completely relaxed and focused at infinite distance.

If the reticle is perfect, I recommend Refresh tears eyedrops. They are over-the-counter and help with my occasional focus problems while reading and web surfing.

mark40sw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2015
    Roanoke
    It is easy to get the reticle adjustment wrong.
    Start with the scope pointed at a featureless background; white wall, for example - distance doesn't matter.
    Look off in the distance, for about 10 seconds to let your eye focus on infinity.
    Quickly look through the eyepiece at your reticle. It should be sharp and clear at the instant you look through the scope. If your eye has to focus on it, you're out of adjustment.
    Make small changes and repeat the process.
    The goal is an instantly sharp reticle when your eye is completely relaxed and focused at infinite distance.

If the reticle is perfect, I recommend Refresh tears eyedrops. They are over-the-counter and help with my occasional focus problems while reading and web surfing.
    This (above post)...

Adjusting the reticle can be difficult because the eye can focus on a wide range of reticle adjustments. When the eye has to strain to focus, fatigue can set in. The strain to focus is difficult to realize while adjusting reticle, unless using (above posted) process.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Yes, my reticle is very clear and crisp. I'm in focus and parallax is adjusted. I can drop my head a little and cross hairs don't move. On the one eye two eye. I always shoot scopes one eye. I've tried both eyes. It's the same, the tape over the left eye makes it much worse. Magnification definitely affects how blurry the target it. 25 power i can look 4 seconds longer. 55 power my eye fades pretty quick. The new scope i just got has a fine crosshair with a very small target dot. I probably didn't choose wisely.

Crisp and clear doesn't mean much. The fact your eyes are "relaxing" to a state where the reticle goes blurry suggests you need to keep moving the diopter until that stops happening.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Something not asked yet... what scope, exactly, are you using? I ask because clarity and quality vary significantly. I remember one day looking through my <$300 ACME 6-24 for two matches back to back with a splitting headache (from eyestrain) then getting home to find my $1300 Leupold 3-15 had arrived, looking through it and just thinking OMG I CAN SEE EVERYTHING. Even that ACME to a $400 Vortex Diamondback is a huge difference.

Top Bottom