• ...and so much more!
  • redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    Hey INGO!

I had an issue I wanted to run past all of you and see if this is typical or not. I just finished putting together my first AR-15 lower receiver and I am really proud of myself. However, I've noticed a few small issues and wanted to see if this is normal or not. First, the magazine well is very tight to the magazine and I cannot seat the mag without slapping it in. In contrast, with my DPMS I can easily seat a mag without slapping it. I was wondering if this issue will go away with time like a break in issue? Secondly, I wanted to see how an upper looked on my new lower, so I took off my DPMS upper from its lower and I could not get the upper and lower to set together. It seemed like I was getting interference in the rear connection point, like the rear upper locking lug (don't know the technical term) was too large and I could not get it to set. Is this because the DPMS is more of a commercial rifle and my Spikes lower is closer to milspec? I don't have any other uppers to try so I'm not sure if this is an isolated issue. Other than that everything is fine. For reference this is a Spikes stripped lower with a Spikes LPK installed. Thanks for the help INGO!

scott delaney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    i have problems seating NEW, FULL mags to. i found that if leave one rnd out i have no problems seating my mags

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Is the mag well tight or is the mag release tight? Press the mag release and see if the mag is still tight. If it isn't then back your mag release off one turn.

Your upper may be tight but I'd almost guarantee it fits. Slam it on there and it will get worn in.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Your upper may be tight but I'd almost guarantee it fits. Slam it on there and it will get worn in.

Bear in mind that "mil-spec" dimensions are a range plus or minus so many thousandths; if the upper receiver lug is on one end of the range and the corresponding cavity in the lower is on the other end, you might have a few fit issues even though both parts are "in spec".

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    Is the mag well tight or is the mag release tight? Press the mag release and see if the mag is still tight. If it isn't then back your mag release off one turn.

I guess I'd say the release is tight as the mag drops free when I hit the mag release. I tried loosening it a bit but I'll try doing it some more. Would it work better if I cut off a ring on the spring to lower the spring tension or is this a really bad idea?

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    I agree it is probably the mag release - and cutting springs always seems bad. I just bought a spike's lower and put my s&w upper on it with out the pins just to see what it looked like and it fits perfectly. I can't wait to get my lower parts in it and this will be my 2nd build. Congrats on your first build by the way :) happy :ar15: out there

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    That's kind of what I thought! lol

Back the mag catch off so it's set to catch mags and lock them in. If it's too tough to push after than you may need to work on some finger strengthening exercises.

Keep in mind that the weaker you make the mag release button the more likely it is that a mag will fall out unexpectedly.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Is the mag easy to seat w/out hitting the mag release when the bolt is open? if so, then its not the mag release, its just a stiff mag. mag swaps are much easier w/ an open bolt.

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    I do not have an upper to attach to the lower right now so I am trying to seat the mag without an upper attached. I'm seating an unloaded mag so I don't think it has anything to do with round count. The mag is not easy to seat at all and I really have to slap it to get it to seat. I can operate the mag release with one finger just fine and the mag drops free.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Then i defer to the higher powers. I had an OLY lower that did that and i tried to mill out some material off the inside of the magwell... worked great, but looked like crap, and got under my skin.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    I do not have an upper to attach to the lower right now so I am trying to seat the mag without an upper attached. I'm seating an unloaded mag so I don't think it has anything to do with round count. The mag is not easy to seat at all and I really have to slap it to get it to seat. I can operate the mag release with one finger just fine and the mag drops free.

This statement right makes me believe it is in the mag release and not in the lower itself. If the magwell was out of spec the mag would not drop free as he describes.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    it happens.....personally as long as you can depress the mag release without a problem I wouldn't worry about it.....I slap the bottom of the mag each reload anyway (especially with GI mags)....better safe than sorry with a FTF .....they're a combat weapon, they don't need babied as much as some people do..lol

FutureButterBar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Don't Worry About It
    Hey INGO!

I had an issue I wanted to run past all of you and see if this is typical or not. I just finished putting together my first AR-15 lower receiver and I am really proud of myself. However, I've noticed a few small issues and wanted to see if this is normal or not. First, the magazine well is very tight to the magazine and I cannot seat the mag without slapping it in. In contrast, with my DPMS I can easily seat a mag without slapping it. I was wondering if this issue will go away with time like a break in issue? Secondly, I wanted to see how an upper looked on my new lower, so I took off my DPMS upper from its lower and I could not get the upper and lower to set together. It seemed like I was getting interference in the rear connection point, like the rear upper locking lug (don't know the technical term) was too large and I could not get it to set. Is this because the DPMS is more of a commercial rifle and my Spikes lower is closer to milspec? I don't have any other uppers to try so I'm not sure if this is an isolated issue. Other than that everything is fine. For reference this is a Spikes stripped lower with a Spikes LPK installed. Thanks for the help INGO!

i was always taught to smack the mag in the rifle then pull down on the mag to make sure it is in. when putting on ur upper reciever make sure your bolt is fully forward. sometimes putting the front pin in and then putting the back down works better. unless something is truly screwed up.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Take the mag release out completely. Put in a mag. See if there's a tight spot near the top of the magwell.

Top Bottom