• ...and so much more!
  • Dtotheweed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2015
    Westfield
    Hey all!

I'm a relatively new handgun owner (and INGO member!) though I've owned and/or shot rifles and shotguns throughout my life.

I'm a working adult with a demanding job, a wife, and two very young children, so range time isn't plentiful during this season of life. Range time isn't easy to come by and so far it's consisted of me more or less pulling the trigger on my G19 a lot and trying to figure out why my last shot was six inches apart from my previous shot :)

Here is my question to the wise sages of this forum: How do YOU maximize your range productivity?

I'd like to feel like I improve with each outing or at least learn something. How many rounds do you go through? Are there specific targets or drills you prefer or work on?

Thanks in advance!

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    Lately i've been working on trigger discipline at home. Practicing dry firing maintaining a smooth trigger pull rearward. Making sure my sights are not moving while doing so. When i am out shooting i've been practicing drawing from the holster and firing groups as fast as i can at 7yards and trying to keep them all in a tight group no more then 8inches center mass. I got tired of just the regular target practice where i would go out shoot a lot at a paper target and call it a day. I've picked up steel targets and am in the process of building a dueling tree. I want to start incorporating movement drills and multiple target engagement. But if your stuck with just going to a regular range i would suggest getting proper trigger and sight control down first since those are some of the basics for accurate shooting. Maybe you should think about investing in taking a class sometime also that works around your schedule.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Watch out for the talkers and BS'ers. There seems to be a lot of them on the ranges these days.

I usually go to the range with a goal in mind. It is either something to accomplish or something to learn.

Always remember, there is no such thing as failure as long as you are able to take away some kind of lesson. That includes learning what NOT to do.

GTM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    Bloomington +/- 20 miles
    If you haven't had official training, I'd suggest starting there. Look for ACT (INGO handle is rhino) or BFT (INGO handle is Coach) here on INGO. After attending their classes you'll have a better idea of things to practice on the range.

dibdee83

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2015
    indiana
    Some of these suggestions are great. Id say get instruction but you can do a lot on your own too.I can share my experiences some I started out going to the range and just plinking with various firearms but I kept no records of accuracy,round counts and and did no "drills". Ive started this year doing drills and basic fundamental shooting and using a separate target for each one. I can now compare targets over time and see what I need to work on. Ive also used my cell phone to record myself doing drills and have noticed things I do that are good and bad. Above all take it slow for safety reasons start with setting a goal like x inches group at x distance consistently once you get that meet start to mix in some basic drills then progress into more complex drills. I always do slow fire accuracy shooting then bill drills then 666 drills then other like the Vickers test drill with handgun. With shotgun I practice emergency reloads and one hand manipulations. Rifle follow various drills depending on how many rounds I have for that day. Getting some snap caps is great for trigger control and manipulations too but make sure NO ammunition is in the vicinity of your gun. Have fun and track your progress but be safe.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Dot torture really pays off.

I always do malfunction drills.

I always practice one hand shooting both sides.

If the range allows, I always shoot from different positions (prone, supine, side, seated, etc.). Check with range first.

Above all, take the time and go to school. Formal training pays dividends.

singlemalt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2015
    Frankfort
    Watch out for the talkers and BS'ers. There seems to be a lot of them on the ranges these days.

I usually go to the range with a goal in mind. It is either something to accomplish or something to learn.

Always remember, there is no such thing as failure as long as you are able to take away some kind of lesson. That includes learning what NOT to do.

Additionally, as in golf, don't expect to be a pro the first few times you are out there. I'll guess that most occasional recreational golfers are bogey players. Par is for the pros. When you admit you aren't a pro and allow yourself that 1 extra stroke per hole you take away some of the stress of playing and can relax and enjoy yourself. When shooting if you think 8 ring or better, not all X's you'll feel less stress and have fun and a BG won't know the difference. At least this works for me.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Learn to call your shots. Just behind having a clear front sight, calling your shots accurately prove that you are focusing on that front sight. One hand, two hand, whatever, if you can't call where the front was when the shot went off, you will never get better.

Guys that cannot call their shots start threads here that start off..."my shots are going low left. What am I doing wrong?" Not beating up on anybody, but it is true.

Actually, the cheapest training for this is dry-firing at home. I like to aim at a light switch across the room.

Last edited:

Dtotheweed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2015
    Westfield
    Great tips everyone. The goal is to go through some classes here in due time but plenty of these things I can begin to slowly implement now.

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    This isn't a range time tip but one thing that has really helped me lately is a product called the Grip Master. I've pretty much always shot 9mm but have been trying to transition to .45 acp over the past few months. I was having trouble grouping my shots like I wanted and saw an ad for the Grip Master in G&A, so I figured what the heck. I went and picked one up at Dicks for about $10 and started doing a few hundred reps intermittently throughout the day. It allows you to work the entire hand as well as each finger individually. Once you get in the routine you'll be able to control recoil much easier and being able to work your trigger finger by itself helps you keep your pull consistent. Mix that with some dry-firing practice and you'll notice an improvement. I definitely did.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Dry fire practice whenever you can. Even if it's only 15 minutes a day. You will build muscle memory. It will carry over into live fire if done correctly.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    So many good tips here. I like to set a goal when I go to the range, I.e. headshots, center of mass, draw and fire drills, etc. If I feel I've accomplished one at let's say 10 yds. I'll move back to 15 and work on it from there. I don't focus on round count, just whatever goal I set for myself that day. At the end of each trip I ask myself first what I did wrong, then why did I do it wrong, followed by making correcting it my goal at home if possible, then back to the range to correct the issue.

Something I found invaluable was having someone else load a snap cap somewhere in my mag and then fire it to correct flinching. It may sound crazy, but I've seen many people flinch or jump when the gun doesn't go off as they are anticipating. When I tried it the first time I was surprised to see my reaction.

Top Bottom