Not open for further replies.

Feign

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Columbus-ish
    Dear admins,

Use replacement variables to reduce or eliminate unwanted text on this here vbulletin board.

Bonus: Users can't get around simple tag avoidance (bold, italics, et cetera) by using this method.

Only affects styles as long as you don't put something like bbusername as a replaceable field. :)

Try it on your test style. You wanted less rote admin work and to keep the site PG/PG-13...this is one piece of the puzzle.

Feign

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Columbus-ish
    Fixed that for you!!!:rockwoot:

I think what he means is we couldn't do things like replace the ss in a certain word with $$ and stuff like that..
    Unless there's a specific filter for it, yes you could. But if you go through the trouble to replace ss with $$ then you're doing the filtering anyway.

On the board I run, **** is replaced with ****. Inside joke for "flocking" interior trim pieces with some special dip/paint stuff. **** is also siht. Case-insensitive. All processed in the style so the database will keep the "offense" but the end user's style determines what gets replaced. It's actually pretty slick.

This is also a GREAT way to screw with users and their usernames.

Last edited by a moderator:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Unless there's a specific filter for it, yes you could. But if you go through the trouble to replace ss with $$ then you're doing the filtering anyway.

On the board I run, XXXX is replaced with flock. Inside joke for "flocking" interior trim pieces with some special dip/paint stuff. XXXX is also siht. Case-insensitive.

This is also a GREAT way to screw with users and their usernames.

AAAAHHHHH!!!!!!! my virgin eyes....... oh the humanity.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I'm confused. You'd rather be forced to comply rather than just control yourself? What about personal responsibility?

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I'm confused. You'd rather be forced to comply rather than just control yourself? What about personal responsibility?

I do self sensor when paying attention.
    I will endeavor to clean up my act, but I do stay away from vulgarity regularly.

:yesway:

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac

That's what you guys are for isn't it?????:dunno:

Then we will have all those new threads about:
    "Jackboot Mods"
    "Nazi Mods"
    Modzi's
    How you are killing our 1st Adm. rights.

Then you guys can explain how it is Fenway's house and if you don't like it GTFO!!

See it provides good reading material.:ingo:

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    It wouldn't be "forcing" anyone to comply. it would be doing the work for us in case we slip up. it happens.

Actually, the forcing comes into play by telling us to backspace and retype as opposed to letting us speak freely and then CENSORING us.

I'm personally responsible for what i say and type. It's too bad that somehow we let 12 year old read these boards. Talk about personal responsibility.

I seriously doubt this is NEEDED. What parents on these boards let their 12 year olds read and type on their own? NOONE. Parents may come here with questions or looking for advice and then they pass it on- or at least they SHOULD be doing it that way. You don't sit your kid on your lap and let him read as you read and then go "oh ****" you weren't supposed to see that and you don't need to turn this into a police state to try and make it so the parent doesn't have to worry.

This is ridiculous. It's like making everything safer and dummer for the idiots of the world.

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    I prefer to just be creative..

You could be a feminine cavity cleaning device

or a hat for a donkey

or a poop shoot

or a female dog

or a male chicken

The list just keeps going on!!

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    This is ridiculous. It's like making everything safer and dummer for the idiots of the world.

No, it's like making it a family friendly place where people know how to speak in public in front of women and kids, just like the old days.

This is not dumbing down. This is keeping classed up.

This is not enforcing a police state. This is keeping pedobear from dancing
    across the screen.

This is not about telling you what to do. This is about asking adults to act like adults should act in public.

This is not, never has, and never will be a private adult forum. The web is full of those.

This is not a bar, your buddies garage, or your private bedroom. This is a public place for coming and talking about guns and gun stuff.

Please keep that in mind.

And for the record, the angry tone you might get from mods is due to our being tired and frustrated. Tired of cleaning up the mess, and frustrated at those who want to push the envelope every day.

Please, if you have real questions, let us know. But efforts to skirt the system or play the borderline game are simply tiring.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

Up until VUPDBlue's post, we allowed incidental profanity provided it wasn't gratuitous. In other words, rare. In the past month, the board has become heavily-laden with profanity and the mods were asked to try to clean it up. That clean-up ended with the notice you read. Within minutes, there were three separate posts testing the boundaries of that request:

"What about abbreviations?" "What about acronyms?" "Can we spell the word out phonetically?"

We're all adults here (although the board is open to people under 18 as well). No one should have to tell you what is appropriate or not. Would you say it at a restaurant when seated next to another family? Would you say it to your own kids?

It's clear that there are people on the board who badly want to have profanity in their posts and will do whatever they can to skirt the rules to do so. Perhaps you're right that we need an automated way to censor posters and we will be looking into that possibility.

So, my original statement still stands. You'd rather have the board automatically censor you through software than to simply not use profanity in your posts?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    EckFrank
    Top Bottom