• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I need to get with the program. I started with Lee single stages, painfully slow for feeding semi-autos. Then bought a LnLAP back before they became all the rage. Loaded on it for a few years and found it to be a major pain. Could never get the priming feeder to work smoothly, and the powder thrower was inconsistent with every powder and metering insert I tried. Sold it to a friend with full disclosure of the issues and went back to a Lyman single and t mag I found on sale. Then took the plunge on a 650. Not a single problem, and everything works right from the start.

I still prefer RCBS dies though. Hornady does make an awesome seater and I love Lee factory crimp dies.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I'm somewhere well beyond 5K rounds. I've found you have to keep the priming system clean and free of brass shavings for smooth function. Otherwise general cleaning, nothing major.

I prefer Redding / RCBS dies.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I did a lot of research into this subject and decided to purchase the Hornady LnL. Shortly thereafter I found a super deal on a used Dillon 650 and told a friend about it. We then both embarked on becoming accomplished reloaders to feed our newly found participation in USPSA and IDPA shooting cranking out hundreds of rounds a week and well over 10,000 to date in the 18 months since we began.

Granted, the Dillon my friend purchased was well used (we discovered) and contributed to problem of multiple broken parts. Before we knew how well used the Dillon was my friend bragged on several occasions about how great the Dillon "warranty" as he would call them and they would send him new parts without question or charge. I replied that my Hornady didn't break so I hadn't needed to call for parts to repair my reloader !

I can't speak specifically to the Dillon as I've not reloaded on it. I can say I've been very happy with the LnL to date. After a brief learning curve of the idiosyncrasies the Hornady now cranks out 9mm rounds as fast as I can add a bullet (projectile) and pull the handle. (I have the case feeder and recommend it to anyone who needs volume reloads).

WITH all that being said, of the shooters who reload and attended the USPSA nationals 96% used a Dillon 550, 650, or 1050.

YMMV

Cowboy1629

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    West Central Indiana
    Never had any other progressive presses besides Dillon so can't speak on who makes the best. But I have noticed everyone compares their's to the Dillon. I started out with the 550 about 20 years ago (never broken a part yet) and purchased a 650 a couple of years ago. Been very happy with both presses so if and or when I buy another one it will be a Dillon but like I said before, it's all I have ever owned.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I have an RCBS Auto 4x4 - four station progressive press. I am happy with it, it performs very well, so am not going to reinvest the money for a Dillon press - but Dillons are VERY nice. If I were starting from scratch I would go with the Dillon. One drawback on my RCBS press is that the older presses needed an expander die, whereas the newer presses use the charging station to expand the case mouth so a separate expander die isn't necessary, and that means you can use that station for something else. With my RCBS, if I want to seat and crimp in separate steps, which is better for consistency, then I have to crimp the cartridges on a separate single stage press - which isn't necessary with the Dillon 5 station models.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I'm going to buy a second press shortly. I have a 550 now and the only way I can improve it is to buy a second 550. I have red MEC shotshell presses on one bench and am building a bench for just blue. One for large primer and one for small ones. Of course, I'll have to give up sex for a while because of it.... But it's worth it for a Dillon.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    its hard once you make the initial decision and invest in a certain brand to switch. I thought about going to Dillon just because of everything people say and they are kind of the benchmark everybody else compares too. But when I added up the cost to start all over I stayed with Hornady. whether this comparison is 100% accurate or not I liked his conclusion :)

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Absolutely nothing wrong with any brand of press that works well for the owner. But Dillon is better! LOl . No ,really, there are a lot of quality presses out there that do a great job.

Full Recovery

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Central
    This article is what I've been looking for, I plan to start reloading soon and will start with 38 spl and 357 mag. Then I might do some 300 blk.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    My lock n load showed up a few days ago. Got it all set up. Metered out the powder drops. And now the wait for my shell plates begins.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Couple of weeks ago, my kids and my wife all went in together and got me a Dillon 550, with a Lyman tumbler for my birthday. My son picked it all out and ordered it.

How awesome is my family?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I bought a 550 20 plus years ago, the 5th pull of the handle was making good ammo, and it never failed to do a good job. I had mutiple heads all set and calibrated. Ended up with two, one for large primer and one for small primer rounds, 90 second caliber changes that way. I never owned a Hornady, but there are lots of guys who like them.

I won a brand new Lee loadmaster kit. Evidently I am too dumb to figure out the Lee. I spent several evenings trying to get it set up to make good ammo. (nothing tricky, 9mm) The press frame seemed ok, but everything else was junk. I never got it to run 10 rounds with reliability, mostly primer issues. Life is too short, I GAVE it to the brother in law that I don't like.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Well, I decided to finally get myself a progressive press afyer 35+ years using a Lee Turret and being just fine. The rices are just getting too high for quaity ammo and all I make is quality. :) I have billet and cases and have been storing and/or using them for years, especially the rifle cases. I am not going to load any AK or 54r until prices go a bit higher but the handgun stuff starts very soon. 223/556 will also start seeing some reloading as well with a fair bit of brass onboard as well as both types of cases (sorted) to see me get a start before needing more plus a fair amount of brass cases surplus ammo (boxer primed) to keep it up for a while as well as primers and bulets though powder may be a bit tight at first.

IN any case thanks for this info at just the right moment as I begin research. :+1:

The current front runner for me is a Dillon 550 so you know all of you filks in INGO-land. :ingo:

Top Bottom