• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • knobcreeknut

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 18, 2008
    shelbyville
    I'm sure a lot of you have some fond memories of the drive in. Due to the mandatory change over to digital projection, a large number will be forced to close after this season. The change to digital is 60-80 thousand dollars and most drive ins just cant afford it. Honda is donating 5 digital projection systems to the top vote counts in this contest. http://projectdrivein.com/
    the skyline drive in in Shelbyville is owned by some of my family. They could really use your votes. You can vote once a day on the site and once a day by texting " vote 64 " to 444-999. Please help out.
    There are a couple of other Indiana drive ins entered in the contest so if you have a local favorite, help them out as well.

Thanks
    larry

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I guess my local one (49er in Valparaiso) might already be digital(not listed), so I gave yours a vote.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Poor map there. The map was missing several major state highways and had the Holiday Drive In in Mitchell located at the approximate location of the Holiday Drive In in Reo.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I don't know why the Georgetown Drive In isn't in the running. On their website they show a standard reel projector.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    The local one here isn't on the list and in late June, there was a story on the local news about how it could be the last season they're open because of the cost of upgrade. They've said they need $300,000 to upgrade for all 4 screens. They've known about this being a possibility since 2006.

knobcreeknut

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 18, 2008
    shelbyville
    Thanks to all who have voted so far.
    The price of the changeover is just cost prohibitive for most drive ins. They are a labor of love for most owners and profits are down hard since the daylight saving time change. I personally love seeing movies there especially with a 6 year old. However I usually end up working to help out. My son also works most weekends buttering popcorn.
    Thanks again for your help and keep up the voting

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Vote again bump. Vote early, vote often, have your dead relatives vote, bus in your folks from IL/OH/MI/KY to vote, and vote yet again after you have voted yesterday :D

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Vote again bump. Vote early, vote often, have your dead relatives vote, bus in your folks from IL/OH/MI/KY to vote, and vote yet again after you have voted yesterday

Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Apr 19, 2013
    Clark County
    I don't know why the Georgetown Drive In isn't in the running. On their website they show a standard reel projector.

I was wondering about this one too. I haven't been in years, but I hope they aren't throwing in the towel.
    Why is there a mandatory upgrade? Something to do with the old reels not being produced anymore?

Top Bottom