• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well dangit. I'm not having very good luck with U-haul. Went to refill a tank just now and they were out of propane. :xmad: So out of 3 trips, I've been able to fill one tank. :n00b:

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    155   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    I use Jackson Oil & Solvents just north of Kentucky Ave and Raymond street. They will fill how ever many I decide to take. I pick up tanks here and there and take them in to be filled. If it happens to be one that needs recert then I just take it to an exchange place. I keep about 15 tanks to run 2 propane generators in case of power outage. FYI a 20lb tank fit great inside a milk crate and keeps them from rolling around

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I use Jackson Oil & Solvents just north of Kentucky Ave and Raymond street. They will fill how ever many I decide to take. I pick up tanks here and there and take them in to be filled. If it happens to be one that needs recert then I just take it to an exchange place. I keep about 15 tanks to run 2 propane generators in case of power outage. FYI a 20lb tank fit great inside a milk crate and keeps them from rolling around

Thanks for the milk crate tip. Now I just need to find somewhere to get free pallets so I can stick them on that in the back of the truck and then lift them out

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Well dangit. I'm not having very good luck with U-haul. Went to refill a tank just now and they were out of propane. :xmad: So out of 3 trips, I've been able to fill one tank. :n00b:

Without going back and looking to see where else you tried, I used to refill mine at ACE Hardware, unfortunately there are none close to me anymore.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Without going back and looking to see where else you tried, I used to refill mine at ACE Hardware, unfortunately there are none close to me anymore.
    I went back a couple days later and they'd gotten more propane. They just opened a new ACE not too far from me, but I don't think they refill, although there's another one a little farther away that does. Also found out that one of the truck stops (Flying J) refills and they're not much farther than U-Haul.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Thanks Mike. I always thought some tanks felt lighter than others. Never took the time to weigh them.

It is a big deal when you have 7-10 tanks like I do. My in the head calculations believe that I get a free tank full vs. exchange every 5 fills and a lower price per tank to boot...

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Probably the most accurate method of comparing prices (which seems to be the thrust of this thread) would be to state the $/per gallon.
    I filled a tank at the south Madison U-HAUL last Friday, and their price at the time was $ 3.70 per gallon.
    Are there any close options that are cheaper ?

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    KBK mobile home supply on ridge road is $15.

The blue Rhino exchange tanks are usually only filled to 15 lbs.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yeah, that's a little over a gallon less. Since a completely empty 20 lb tank will take 4.5-4.7 gallons, 20% is definitely worth mentioning.

When I take my empty tanks to UHaul, it usually takes around 3.8 gallons to fill them. Are they just not filling them all the way full for some kind of "safety" reason?

Top Bottom