• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DocEd

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Evansville
    Does anyone have any experience with propane powered devices such as generators? I did a quick search on here didn't pull anything up. If my search was fu please direct me to the appropriate thread. Thanks.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    ...As in you are having a problem getting one to work? or you are trying to find/purchase one?

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    I can say this about propane: it is a clean fuel that stores indefinitely...the fuel is good as long as the steel tank doesn't rust out. As a motor fuel, it doesn't create carburetor gumming and storage problems like gasoline. So as long as you have an adequate supply of fuel stored, it is awesome fuel for an emergency generator.

bass pro

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    west side guy
    If you are looking for a propane generator, look at home depot. They sell a 10kw genset that will work on propane for about 2500.00. comes with transfer switch.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I also have a 6kw one for $900 from home depot. I chose it (and got rid of our gasoline generator) for reasons mentioned above

DocEd

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Evansville
    i was looking at one made by generac at the local menards store. but before i purchased it i wanted to see if anyone had any experience with them. how they ran any potential problems.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    i was looking at one made by generac at the local menards store. but before i purchased it i wanted to see if anyone had any experience with them. how they ran any potential problems.

Generac propane 3250 watts
    $600
    9 hours run time per tank - $20
    $30 for each extra 20 lbs tank you want to keep on hand another $20 to fill it, $50 total
    +Propane stores forever
    +Don't have to worry about fuel setting in the carb gumming it up.
    +Safer to store LP in bulk on your property.

Generac Gas 3250 watts
    $400
    9 hours run time on 3.5 gallons. Say 3.50 a gal = $12.25
    $15 for each 5 gal can you decide to keep on hand $17 to fill it, $32 total
    +SHFT - Probably be easier to obtain gas than propane from others (bartering, abandon vehicles, ect)
    +Say money runs tight due to job loss or slammed with a $800 vehicle repair bill, you can pull gas from your storage to help get you by.

I can't quote any P.M. prices but you may want to look into those also.

Last edited:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    propane or LPG? there's a big difference in what farmers/factories use, and the 16lb Blue Rhino tanks.
    O really? Can you enlighten us?

Generac propane 3250 watts
    $600
    9 hours run time per tank - $20
    $30 for each extra 20 lbs tank you want to keep on hand another $20 to fill it, $50 total
    +Propane stores forever
    +Don't have to worry about fuel setting in the carb gumming it up.
    +Safer to store LP in bulk on your property.

Generac Gas 3250 watts
    $400
    9 hours run time on 3.5 gallons. Say 3.50 a gal = $12.25
    $15 for each 5 gal can you decide to keep on hand $17 to fill it, $32 total
    +SHFT - Probably be easier to obtain gas than propane from others (bartering, abandon vehicles, ect)
    +Say money runs tight due to job loss or slammed with a $800 vehicle repair bill, you can pull gas from your storage to help get you by.

I can't quote any P.M. prices but you may want to look into those also.
    This is my thought as well. IMHO, if a person wanted to go with LPG for sure I recommend they do it via a tri-fuel kit so when the LPG runs out they still have options.

For me, It's much cheaper and easier to store gas and just rotate through it. Even if I get a free propane tank the cost/BTU is higher.

I currently store my gas in 18 gallon HDPE barrels I acquire for free and re-purpose them to gas storage. For me, it just makes the most sense to have fuel commonality between my vehicles and my generator. My LPG tanks are for cooking on the grill, thats it...

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    it also has the benefit of not making CO (carbon monoxide) being safer to run indoors to prevent the walking off of your power source during a crisis.
    I'm not sure where you got your information but LPG appliances, including generators, can still produce CO. As a matter of fact, any combustion process that uses carbon chains as the fuel supply can produce CO. AFAIK, the only one that is somewhat common that can't produce it is hydrogen fueled appliances etc.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I have a generac generator w/ auto transfer on my 1000 gal propane tank. Planning to bury another 1000 tank next spring. Have only used it a couple of times in 2 years, but it is great! It runs for 10min each week to excersize. Great unit.

What are your questions?

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Don't forget depending on the generator and if it's published rating is for use with gasoline, you need to derate it a bit when using LP (or NG), and you'll use a bit more fuel/hr with the gasses.

The numbers are about a 5-10% derate for LP and about a 20% derate for NG. It varies a bit depending on the genset. Here's a representative example:

Winco 12000 Watt Tri-Fuel Portable Generator - HPS12000HE **Now Free

And also:
    ftp://asavage.dyndns.org/Onan/UN/Te...ting Factors for Electric GenSets (T-017).pdf

stlaser

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    Good info

Don't forget depending on the generator and if it's published rating is for use with gasoline, you need to derate it a bit when using LP (or NG), and you'll use a bit more fuel/hr with the gasses.

The numbers are about a 5-10% derate for LP and about a 20% derate for NG. It varies a bit depending on the genset. Here's a representative example:

Winco 12000 Watt Tri-Fuel Portable Generator - HPS12000HE **Now Free

And also:
    ftp://asavage.dyndns.org/Onan/UN/Te...ting Factors for Electric GenSets (T-017).pdf

mjpell

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Mooresville
    I'm just starting to research buying a propane generator and hooking it up to my 1,000 gal tank.
    Thus far haven't found the instructions, but I'll keep looking.

I'm hoping it works just like running a gas line to my furnace, water heater, etc.
    And the generator will be inside my detached garage. I'll probably build a small room with fresh air intake and exhaust. I'll get it properly wired into main panel by an electrician who has done this before.

Suggestions and pointers very welcome.

Thanks,
    Mike

I have a generac generator w/ auto transfer on my 1000 gal propane tank. Planning to bury another 1000 tank next spring. Have only used it a couple of times in 2 years, but it is great! It runs for 10min each week to excersize. Great unit.

What are your questions?

GTM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    Bloomington +/- 20 miles
    I'm just starting to research buying a propane generator and hooking it up to my 1,000 gal tank.
    Thus far haven't found the instructions, but I'll keep looking.

I'm hoping it works just like running a gas line to my furnace, water heater, etc.
    And the generator will be inside my detached garage. I'll probably build a small room with fresh air intake and exhaust. I'll get it properly wired into main panel by an electrician who has done this before.

Suggestions and pointers very welcome.

Thanks,
    Mike

I purchased a portable gasoline generator about 8 years ago (5800 watts/9800 peak). About a year ago I purchased a propane carburetor from propanecarbs.com to add to it, making it a gas/propane generator. County Gas (my supplier from Bloomington) came out and ran the propane line to the back of the house and installed new regulators to handle the load of the generator and my fireplace. I had a generator panel installed and the electrician made the appropriate cord for the generator. I store the generator in my attached garage, and, when needed, roll it out, hook up the propane and power cord and flip the necessary breakers.

Last week the power went out on Sunday. I rolled the generator out, made all the connections, and fired it up. It ran 4.5 days until the power was restored. I didn't have to do a thing to it the whole time. I have since changed the oil, and ran it again for about 20 minutes to make sure it'll work the next time I need it.

I have a 500-gallon propane tank and I used about 3-4% per day, which included running my generator and gas fireplace 24x7.

Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    propane or LPG? there's a big difference in what farmers/factories use, and the 16lb Blue Rhino tanks.
    theres also methane and NG.

I delivered propane for 5 years. 20lb grill tanks, house tanks, corn dryer tanks. They all came from the same tank!! We even had a few vehicles that ran on it, including all ours. When running low, I just plled the hose from the back and filled it up. I am curious what the difference is myself.

Top Bottom