• ...and so much more!
  • BROBERTS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Warsaw IN.
    Slightly misaligned press, fed primers. As the Dillon rep said, it happens

I know a guy that's done it 2 times on a 650. Told me if I hear a strange hiss sound hit the floor and move. Don't put a light above the primer rod. It stuck in the ceiling.

blkrifle

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    terre haute
    I don't like the guys that have it in the holster before I get done saying " if you are finished....." slow down , be safe, you are not on the clock anymore

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I don't sweat seeing the empty chamber much as an RO. I am trying to look, and if I see a round in there I will say so. But the responsibility is on the shooter. If clear hammer down and holster. That is a condition more than a command. If they blur through it and drop the hammer the gun is empty and we move on. If it goes boom we DQ them and move on.

If I flip and catch I know the chamber is empty because the round is in my hand.

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    First time I tried flip and catch in a match, the round went forward and instinctively put my hand out to grab it. I came close to sweeping my hand. I've left the round fall to the ground ever since.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I get ahead of the commands but now hold the slide open until they catch up.

I think unloading a functional weapon is stupid (unless I'm getting ready to do maintenance on it or put it away for storage). I'd much rather reload before I holster. So when I have to unload and show clear during a match, I'm taking my time! I usually look at the last few targets I've just shot just to make sure I don't want to shoot them again, then I will unload and show clear, etc.

Jesse Tischauser

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    Oklahoma
    I don't sweat seeing the empty chamber much as an RO. I am trying to look, and if I see a round in there I will say so. But the responsibility is on the shooter. If clear hammer down and holster. That is a condition more than a command. If they blur through it and drop the hammer the gun is empty and we move on. If it goes boom we DQ them and move on.

If I flip and catch I know the chamber is empty because the round is in my hand.

Exactly. Lots of uneducated RO's want to go as far as sticking their finger in everyone's chamber but that UASC is on the shooters. As an RO we are just there to make sure the steps are followed.

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    We have a difference of opinion about what an RO Nazi is.
    I'd introduce you to a Richard in Ohio that fits the definition.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ... if the hammer is down, mag is out, and the round has been ejected......no reason to be a Nazi at that point.

Never seen the shooter bend over to pick up the round, gun still in hand?
    The range isn't clear until "Range is clear" command is given.

Last edited:

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    That person is clearly not following the procedure. And that is a different story all together. The last step is holster......
    The R.O. should keep with the spirit of the position. To keep people safe. Not to power trip and act like a Nazi. If the person is doing something unsafe....then that is what the R.O. should be taking care of. Not busting the balls of someone who is safe, but faster than they would like.

No, the RO should follow the rules.

What's the problem of slowing down and showing the RO the steps instead of racing to complete a task that is not on the clock? What's the point?

Asking someone to show you the steps required for ULSC doesn't seem like ball busting and Naziism to me but YMMV. I've yet to understand why people think they must rush through this step and yes, I have had people show me clear after they have the gun in the holster.
    Show them the empty chamber and quit rushing and you'd be surprised how little ball busting you get.

Last edited:

CB45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    In my experience a happy RO, is a nice RO.

Bottom line, show your unloaded gun to the RO. It's not only a courtesy to the RO, but it's in the rules.

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    I've RO'd a fair number of professional shooters. About the time I say: "If you are finished", they are standing there holding back the slide of their gun for my perusal. Only after I say "If clear" does the slide go forward, hammer go down and gun go in the holster.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Experience wise it is like I've never been to a match compared to many of you folks, so I'm guessing if I've seen something happen once then others have seen it a few times.

An experienced shooter on my squad shot the rocks on hammer down at a match last year, and a buddy told me one of the R.O.'s at the single stack nationals last year had had a shooter do it the previous day and was being particular about where guns were pointed on hammer down.

I guess maybe safety wise it is not a big risk thing when somebody shoots the ground, but it wouldn't help me stay calm if I were the r.o. and dq's suck.

CB45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I've RO'd a fair number of professional shooters. About the time I say: "If you are finished", they are standing there holding back the slide of their gun for my perusal. Only after I say "If clear" does the slide go forward, hammer go down and gun go in the holster.

Yep. That's my method. I figure I'll fake it, until I make it.

Top Bottom