• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I don't understand shortening the firearms season at all, especially considering the DNR's claim they want to reduce Indiana deer herds by 25% over the next 5 years.

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. — Indiana’s white-tail deer are one of the attractions that lure visitors to state parks and nature reserves every spring, but their prolific breeding habits are cause for consternation.

The species, once vanished from Indiana, has grown in such abundance that state officials are now considering a plan to strategically reduce the deer population by 25 percent within the next five years.

The proposed plan is dependent on hunters increasing the number of deer they take and includes targeting female deer whose fecundity — the ability to produce offspring easily — is linked to a record number of deer-related complaints from farm operators, motorists and landowners.

Kimber7man

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lawrence
    I think they are shortening the firearms and muzzleloader seasons, and moving the firearms season back a week, to increase the quality deer management and be more like Illinois and Iowa (don't hear too many people complain about their short seasons). I think with this move Indiana will become more of a destination for out of state hunters and provide opportunities for outfitters and guide services. Which will then mean we will have to lease land, or lose our hunting spots to outfitters who lease up acreage by the thousands...

One final thought - the deer in my back yard will now have to watch out for a broadhead tipped crossbow bolt - making crossbows legal in my urban deer zone means more venison for me!!!

ajb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    The DNR website says the rules won't go into effect this year. They won't be voted on until early next year.

I don't know what good it does to give us more time to shoot does. How many deer can a family use? They could up the limit to 50, I'll still only shoot 2 deer a year, usually 1 buck and 1 doe, that's all I can use.

I've offered to give people deer in the past, they don't want to pay for processing.........

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I think they are shortening the firearms and muzzleloader seasons, and moving the firearms season back a week, to increase the quality deer management and be more like Illinois and Iowa (don't hear too many people complain about their short seasons). I think with this move Indiana will become more of a destination for out of state hunters and provide opportunities for outfitters and guide services. Which will then mean we will have to lease land, or lose our hunting spots to outfitters who lease up acreage by the thousands...

That already started a long time ago.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    The DNR website says the rules won't go into effect this year. They won't be voted on until early next year.

I don't know what good it does to give us more time to shoot does. How many deer can a family use? They could up the limit to 50, I'll still only shoot 2 deer a year, usually 1 buck and 1 doe, that's all I can use.

I've offered to give people deer in the past, they don't want to pay for processing.........

Can you post a link to the DNR website where it says these changes won't be voted on or put into place until next year, at the earliest?

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    Can you post a link to the DNR website where it says these changes won't be voted on or put into place until next year, at the earliest?

"These proposed changes are being presented to the Natural Resources Commission (NRC) at their meeting on July 20 for preliminary approval. Comments can be given to the NRC at their meeting on July 20, and everyone will also have an opportunity to submit comments regarding these proposed changes to the NRC after preliminary adoption is given. The public comment period will last for several months, and there will be at least one public hearing scheduled. More information will be available after July 20 on how you can submit your comments and questions regarding these proposed changes. The DNR will provide a response to the comments and the Natural Resources Commission will have an opportunity to review all of the comments and vote on final adoption at a meeting early next year."

DNR: Rule/Regulation Changes

wildhare

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Gun season here is too long and we need to get to where other states are. I say make a min 130" for a buck and you have to shoot a doe before you can take a buck! That's how we do it and it has payed off well for us in the last 4 years. 8 bucks 130 or larger off our farm not to mention the other neighbor who's takin two over 150 in 3 years. Too many "gun" hunters just want the first deer out in front of them and don't care what it is. 4 point yearling or a 160 giant. That's what they are trying to take care of by moving gun season to after the best part of the rut. I am all for it. I just wish they would have a 3 day early muzzleloader in september to try to get one in velvet.

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfied,In
    A correction on the NRC online input page.

I’ve been inform via the governor's office that the correct place to give NRC input online is at:

http://www.in.gov/nrc/2386.htm

Click on "OTHER" in the drop down menu.

Make your comments there. They will get them..

The following is the IDNR Fish and Wildlife deer proposal that will be presented for preliminary adoption to the Natural Resources Commission at the July 20th meeting.

The Natural Resources Commission will next meet on July 20, 2010, at 10:00 a.m., EDT (9:00 a.m., CDT), at the Garrison, Fort Harrison State Park, 6002 North Post Road, North Ballroom, Indianapolis, Indiana. The July agenda will be posted to this page when available.

http://www.in.gov/nrc/2350.htm

Please attend and voice your concerns at that time.

By the way this proposal was posted at the NRC website on July 8, 2010 for the general public. Somehow some hunting groups had their own personal a copy at least 4 days before.

If you can not make the meeting you may contact the NRC Division of Hearings at:

Indiana Government Center North
    100 North Senate Avenue, Room N501
    Indianapolis, Indiana 46204
    (317) 232-4699
    (317) 233-2977 Fax

OR online at –

http://www.in.gov/nrc/2386.htm

After the preliminary adoption the general public will have a given time period to give input on this proposal.

If you don’t like any particular aspect of this proposal, speak now AND after the preliminary adoption.

Summary of Proposed Deer Rule Changes

Definitions

Moves the definition of crossbow to the definitions section, instead of defining it in 312 IAC 9-3-3

Adds a definition of ground blind

General Requirements and Licenses

Adds the new nonresident youth deer license types

Adds license requirements for the new special antlerless seasons

Requires hunter orange for youth hunters during the youth special deer season and during the new antlerless only seasons; hunter orange is already required for all deer hunters during the firearms and muzzleloader seasons

Requires at least 144 square inches of hunter orange material on a ground blind used while deer hunting during a season when a hunter is already required to wear hunter orange

Requires the owner�s name and address on ground blinds used on department properties

Hunting Equipment

Allows a crossbow to be used by hunters who are at least 64 years old during the early archery season
    Allows a crossbow to be used during the deer firearms and muzzleloader seasons by hunters of any age
    Allows a hunter of any age to use a crossbow in an urban deer zone during the urban deer season.

Allows a rifle cartridge to have a maximum case length of 1.8 inches instead of 1.625 inches

Seasons and Bag Limits

Allows youth hunters to take the number of antlerless deer allowed in each county during the special youth deer season (in addition to one antlered deer)

Extends the urban deer season through January 31 of the following year

Requires hunters to take at least one antlerless deer prior to taking an antlered deer in the urban deer season

Expands the urban deer zones in Lake and Porter counties to all of those counties

Changes the deer firearms season to start on the first Saturday before Thanksgiving and continue for only 8 additional days

Shortens the deer muzzleloader season to only 9 days

Adds an antlerless deer only firearms season in October (2 days only) in counties with an antlerless quota of 4 or more. The hunter may take the number of antlerless deer in each county allowed under the bonus county quota.

Adds another antlerless deer-only firearms season from December 25 through January 1 of the following year. The hunter may take the number of antlerless deer in each county allowed under the bonus county quota.

Military Reserves and National Wildlife Refuges

Opens the firearms season on designated military reserves and national wildlife refuges on October 1 instead of November 1

Adds the new nonresident youth deer hunting license types

The long version..

http://www.indianawildlife.org/documents/Deer%20Rule%20NRC%20Preliminary%5B1%5D.pdf

Please feel free to forward this email to all your hunting friends and local newspaper outdoor columnists.

Thank you for you participation.

blackoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Gun season here is too long and we need to get to where other states are. I say make a min 130" for a buck and you have to shoot a doe before you can take a buck! That's how we do it and it has payed off well for us in the last 4 years. 8 bucks 130 or larger off our farm not to mention the other neighbor who's takin two over 150 in 3 years. Too many "gun" hunters just want the first deer out in front of them and don't care what it is. 4 point yearling or a 160 giant. That's what they are trying to take care of by moving gun season to after the best part of the rut. I am all for it. I just wish they would have a 3 day early muzzleloader in september to try to get one in velvet.
    Screw what the "other" states are. How much of them minum130 inches of antlers can you eat. If that's the way you hunt on your farm, that's fine. I'll hunt the way I want on mine and it shouldn't concern you one bit. If they move the season out of the rut you will be whining in a couple years that your not seeing any big buck. What will you want changed then, or are you just a bow only hunter???????

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side

I think its great how you manage your hunting property but I dont think that will work for the masses. I doubt your average hunter can or cares to field judge a 130. Many claim to only be in it for the meat and dont care about antlers. I wonder why some of those same guys choose to shoot young bucks instead of does? hhhmmm I think the new proposed hunting dates might give us all a chance to take bigger deer. "Meat hunters" wont have as much opportunity to harvest our yearlings running around durring the rut.

On the other hand, I dont want to turn into Ill. either. We dont need antler farm outfitters moving in and making hunting opportunities unobtainable for the average hoosier.

Good luck making everyone happy DNR!

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    I think its great how you manage your hunting property but I dont think that will work for the masses. I doubt your average hunter can or cares to field judge a 130. Many claim to only be in it for the meat and dont care about antlers. I wonder why some of those same guys choose to shoot young bucks instead of does? hhhmmm I think the new proposed hunting dates might give us all a chance to take bigger deer. "Meat hunters" wont have as much opportunity to harvest our yearlings running around durring the rut.

On the other hand, I dont want to turn into Ill. either. We dont need antler farm outfitters moving in and making hunting opportunities unobtainable for the average hoosier.

Good luck making everyone happy DNR!

its already happening,down here. I saw a few ads in the paper last year.No more hunting on the ***** farm ,its being leased to *** outfitters. I couldnt believe it 3500 dollars to hunt. They would be lucky to kill a 130 class buck. Sign of the times though. Cant really blame the farmers though.Gotta pay the bills,its just not for me.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana

You just give me a call. You need my number?

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    Screw what the "other" states are. How much of them minum130 inches of antlers can you eat. If that's the way you hunt on your farm, that's fine. I'll hunt the way I want on mine and it shouldn't concern you one bit. If they move the season out of the rut you will be whining in a couple years that your not seeing any big buck. What will you want changed then, or are you just a bow only hunter???????
    I agree with you blackoak! Hey, if all someone wants is a trophy thats great for them. Me, I like to fill my freezer. My family goes thru alot of venison. I think having to get your freezer meat in 9 days is friggin' rediculous! I like to get a buck as much as the next guy but since I'm a meat eater, let the does come my way! If there is any rule changes it should be in the way tags are issued. They should make it where you buy 1 antlered tag for the entire season to use as you wish (to carry over from bow, firearm or muzzleoader) once it's used, it's used. I have no problem with the one buck rule but I think it's stupid to make us buy an antlered tag for every season if you don't fill it during the previous one. I don't agree with changing rules just to make Indiana a "Trophy State". In my opinion the only rule change that made sense was allowing rifles in pistol calibers to be used. I look forward to deer season every year and don't want to see the whole thing getting screwed up for trophies only!

wildhare

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    Indianapolis
    You get more than 9 days to fill the freezer. You will get an additional 5 at the end of season plus a couple in october. I love to bow, gun, muzzleloader, and what ever else. I HATE!!! the idea of some of these idiots thinking that a pistol caliber is capable of going 200 yds.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    You get more than 9 days to fill the freezer. You will get an additional 5 at the end of season plus a couple in october. I love to bow, gun, muzzleloader, and what ever else. I HATE!!! the idea of some of these idiots thinking that a pistol caliber is capable of going 200 yds.
    A couple in October and 5 at the end of season.....What about the rut? That is not the time to be cutting the season. Yes, I do hunt with a pistol caliber but I (as most hunters who use one) understand the limitations and do not take 200 yrd shots. All the hunters I know are responsible and are definitely not IDIOTS!!!

wildhare

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    Indianapolis
    You can honestly say that you didn't think that the rifle/pistol wouldn't shoot farther. I know of a few guys who got the 500 and thought they would go 200 and are barely good for 100. Too much lose of knock down power. I can take a 250 yard shot with my muzzleloader and it has plenty of knock down. I might just be mad at all of the hunters I've seen in the last few years who didn't care how mature the deer was or how many times they had to shoot it or at it. I would be all good with muzzleloader only. Or just limit the number of shots to like 3. It's amazing to me that a guy has to shoot 5,6,7, 10 times to kill a deer. We've all heard it and seen it opening morning.
    Can't you kill a deer out of the rut? I know you see more, but I believe the idea here is to get bigger bucks like other states have. I love the idea and have no problem keeping hold of the bow for another week. I use a muzzleloader when I do gun hunt. I really would like to see it broke up to a couple 5 day guns rather than a 9 day hunt. I wouldn't mind a 2 or 3 day early muzzleloader in september! I would love to be able to get one in velvet.

Greg.B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Evansville
    How many deer can a family use? They could up the limit to 50, I'll still only shoot 2 deer a year, usually 1 buck and 1 doe, that's all I can use.

Family of 4 here, with 2 hunters, and we've used all but a small portion of 5 deer from last year; the past couple of months we've slowed down on consuming it because of running low. We can easily use 7 to 8 per year, without waste.

With 2 of us hunting (one a youth), we don't have enough time because of other activities; I'd like to see them leave it the way it is now, to be honest.

shooter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    I use the Muzzy to hunt and love the trill of a very well placed shot! I would like to see a longer season and feel that the antlered all season tag is a very good idea.... Sure there only 24 bucks a pop but you never know when you will want to pass or feel pressured to fill the tag. Just my 2 cents.

Top Bottom