• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Illinois State Police propose out-of-staters to get Illinois permits.

From the article: "The catch? They must get a letter from a mental health professional attesting that the applicant hasn’t voluntarily admitted themselves to in-patient mental health treatment. Oh yes, there’s another catch: Applicants (and subsequent license holders) must submit these letters on an annual basis."

ILLINOIS: Proposed rule changes to Illinois? CCW law | GunsSaveLife.com

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    Still not a fan of Illinois' rules, but it might be a start. I enjoy Chicago, but I'm not willing to risk my family or my "freedom" to visit.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

j4jenk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2012
    Madison County
    I'm pretty sure that there is nothing in the whole state of Illinois that would make me submit to an annual anything related to firearms with a mental health professional. Seems like a slippery slope to an annual psych evaluation to me.

EMDX6043

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2015
    Hammond
    Meanwhile just about anyone can get behind the wheel of a motor vehicle and do as they please...where was that amendment in the US constitution?

Dave

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    At this point, it's just a proposal by the police. I don't think your vacation is safe yet.

This isn't even yet proposed legislation. It will be many years, if ever, before Illinois significantly changes their virtual ban on OOS permits.
    '

Got the timing part, but would this even require legislation? I am not familiar with the actual law, but it's possible the impediment to out-of-state applications is administrative rather than legislative. If the former, and someone is motivated enough to make the change, it could happen.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Still not a fan of Illinois' rules, but it might be a start. I enjoy Chicago, but I'm not willing to risk my family or my "freedom" to visit.
    A license wouldn't do you much good there. There are a LOT of places with no gun signs. Not to mention you can't carry on public transportation or to public gatherings.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Catch 22

Have you ever visited a mental health professional? YES = CCW denied

You must visit a mental health professional to get a CCW. NO visit = CCW denied

600px-C22_StarB_02.jpg

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    Catch 22

Have you ever visited a mental health professional? YES = CCW denied

You must visit a mental health professional to get a CCW. NO visit = CCW denied

View attachment 40821

How does the mental health provision come into play if it is not involuntary?

Other requirements:

• Have a proper reason to carry a handgun
    • Be of good character and reputation
    • Be a proper person to be licensed
    • Be a citizen of the United States or not a citizen of the United States but is allowed to carry a firearm in the United States under federal law
    • does not have a conviction for resisting law enforcement under IC 35-44.1-3-1 within five (5) years before the person applies for a license or permit under this chapter;
    • does not have a conviction for a crime for which the person could have been sentenced for more than one (1) year;
    • does not have a conviction for a crime of domestic violence (as defined in IC 35-31.5-2-78), unless a court has restored the person’s right to possess a firearm under IC 35-47-4-7;
    • is not prohibited by a court order from possessing a handgun;
    • does not have a record of being an alcohol or drug abuser as defined in this chapter;
    • does not have documented evidence which would give rise to a reasonable belief that the person has a propensity for violent or emotionally unstable conduct;
    • does not make a false statement of material fact on the person’s application;
    • does not have a conviction for any crime involving an inability to safely handle a handgun;
    • does not have a conviction for violation of the provisions of this article within five (5) years of the person’s application;
    • does not have an adjudication as a delinquent child for an act that would be a felony if committed by an adult, if the person applying for a license or permit under this chapter is less than twenty-three (23) years of age;
    • has not been involuntarily committed, other than a temporary commitment for observation or evaluation, to a mental institution by a court, board, commission, or other lawful authority;
    • has not been the subject of a:
      • ninety (90) day commitment as a result of proceeding under IC 12-26-6; or
      • regular commitment under IC 12-26-7; or has not been found by a court to be mentally incompetent, including being found:
        • not guilty by reason of insanity;
        • guilty but mentally ill; or
        • incompetent to stand trial.
    If you are deployed with the Military, in most cases you will have to wait to get home because you have to get fingerprinted and visit your local law enforcement agency for approval. You may try contacting your local law enforcement agency to see if they can accommodate you while on leave.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm pretty sure that there is nothing in the whole state of Illinois that would make me submit to an annual anything related to firearms with a mental health professional. Seems like a slippery slope to an annual psych evaluation to me.

This is what I was thinking too. I'm guessing that you cannot cold call a psychologist and ask him to pen a note for you. He'll say, 'Come on in and well talk a bit and then we'll discuss the note'. You are probably going to get a grilling on why you think you need to carry a deadly weapon and what irrational fears do you have that most others seem to be void of. If the psychologist is anti-gun, you could not only lose your battle to get an Illinois permit, but may very well lose your ability to own weapons in your own state. If an anti-gun psychologist decides that you are dellusional in thinking that the government does not have your best interests at heart or that maybe you have anger issues, you could be screwed.

Is this similar to the police department up in either Vermont or New Hampshire posting instructions on how to turn in your drug dealing competitors to reduce competition in the neighborhood? In this case, the Illinois police are saying "Yeah, sure we'll let you carry a gun here. Just go talk to a mental health professional first". I wonder how many of them are would sign off on you carrying a deadly weapon in a high crime state.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Once you go to the mental health professional to ask for such a letter, could that in itself be construed as a form of voluntary admittance to mental health treatment? And how in the world would they know if you had ever been to another facility?

Tricky bastids.

Top Bottom