• ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    But, but, but...

Is an expensive gun required to keep you alive?
    No just one that is reliable and self-defense accurate. The majority of self-defense shooting are according to statistics around 2 yards and out to 7 yards. Very few are beyond that range. That is 6'-21'. So reliability would be the #1 factor IMO for self-defense according to statistics. The next main thing would be to get your firearm out of its holster or wherever you carry it fast enough to get shots off in that short distance. How many practice self-defense shooting at 6'-21'? Doesn't take a super accurate handgun to hit at that distance.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Your biggest concern is going to be having it taken if you have to use it.
    NO!

The biggest concern is making sure you are carrying a reliable firearm that will go bang each time you pull the trigger.

I'm not trusting my life or anyone with me on a cheap firearm because It might be taken.

Stop and think, how much is your life worth? I'll tell ya what it's worth, a heck of a lot more than a replaceable firearm!

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    NO!

The biggest concern is making sure you are carrying a reliable firearm that will go bang each time you pull the trigger.

I'm not trusting my life or anyone with me on a cheap firearm because It might be taken.

Stop and think, how much is your life worth? I'll tell ya what it's worth, a heck of a lot more than a replaceable firearm!
    I agree with reliability.
    But it doesn't cost $1500-$2000 and UP to have a reliable handgun suitable for self defense "that will go bang each time you pull the trigger".
    A modestly priced police trade-in pistol would give you that.

And whether it's an expensive or a modestly priced handgun, you'll STILL shoot it enough to believe it can be trusted before you ever carry it.

SO in the end, it's not really about equating cost to how much one thinks their life is worth.
    It's JUST about what you like and are willing to spend on a pistol that you very well will never see again soon (if ever) should you have to lawfully use it.

Smeff

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2014
    Clinton
    Well, if you use it and it’s deemed a good shoot you’ll eventually get it back. If it’s not a good shoot, then it’ll probably be the least of your worries.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    Just to flip the thought, why would I have an expensive toy just to go to the range. Buy quality to protect my family and buy "fun" (less expensive) for the range.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    If someone wants to carry a gun that I can't afford or costs more than I will comfortably carry, Salut, God Bless. I rejoice at your success in life.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    If someone wants to carry a gun that I can't afford or costs more than I will comfortably carry, Salut, God Bless. I rejoice at your success in life.

I wouldn’t say it’s success in life. Why wouldn’t a person carry the gun that allows them to be the best shooter they can be, or that they are most comfortable with carrying? Some handguns are expensive I don’t disagree but in my case I don’t smoke, don’t drink, don’t own a motorcycle, sports car, boat, camper, pool, am not divorced or pay alimony, no child support, don’t live in a big house and don’t drive a fancy truck. In about a year I start helping kids through college but otherwise my life is boring except for a couple nice guns. For that matter I own very few guns. So what is the difference money wise if a person owns a $2500 handgun vs 3 dressed up Gucci Glocks?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I wouldn’t say it’s success in life. Why wouldn’t a person carry the gun that allows them to be the best shooter they can be, or that they are most comfortable with carrying? Some handguns are expensive I don’t disagree but in my case I don’t smoke, don’t drink, don’t own a motorcycle, sports car, boat, camper, pool, am not divorced or pay alimony, no child support, don’t live in a big house and don’t drive a fancy truck. In about a year I start helping kids through college but otherwise my life is boring except for a couple nice guns. For that matter I own very few guns. So what is the difference money wise if a person owns a $2500 handgun vs 3 dressed up Gucci Glocks?
    1622720804212.png

:lol2:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I don't think you are giving yourself enough credit. There is more to success in life than having the big paycheck. Some of those people don't have pot to **** in. It sounds like you have been successful in not pissing away money on a whole host of things. The no child support, I assume meeans you have been successful at keeping one woman all these years. You have kids getting ready to go off to college. It sounds to me like you are swimming in success.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I don't think you are giving yourself enough credit. There is more to success in life than having the big paycheck. Some of those people don't have pot to **** in. It sounds like you have been successful in not pissing away money on a whole host of things. The no child support, I assume meeans you have been successful at keeping one woman all these years. You have kids getting ready to go off to college. It sounds to me like you are swimming in success.

If by good job, married 24 years as of next week, healthy kids, retirement being funded then yes I am successful. No white privilege either, trust me it wasn’t all just handed over. But the secret to success isn’t hard. 1) Do your work, whether that is school or your job. 2) don’t get girls pregnant outside of a real commitment (notice I didn’t specify marriage per se). 3) stay away from the drugs and alcohol.

Sitcomdad83

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2021
    Indiana
    All guns I own are sub $1000 never really thought much about price.i like to stand out and be special so I'd say pro would be they'd look really nice in an evidence room con is I'd have nothing to post on internet edc pic posts.

Top Bottom