• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    i wonder if these officers who do this get a commision for what is brought in by the forfeiture program?

I doubt it, but if I did not harbor a moral objection to gambling, I would lay you 20 to 1 that it has a big impact on their promotions.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    i wonder if these officers who do this get a commision for what is brought in by the forfeiture program?

No they do not get a commision. The agency itself stands to get a lot of cash on good busts. Some agency's get a ton of money with interdiction teams.

nemo97

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 29, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Solution, maybe...? "No, you may not search my vehicle without probably cause and a warrant issued by a judge. It's in the Constitution."

I think a big problem for many people is they are intimidated by cops. The "if you have nothing to hide" mentality to give up your rights & allow law enforcement to do things that are in conflict with one's rights is a personal choice in the end. If you are sure you want to defend your rights, then be prepared to defend them with knowledge and the time the LEO may consume in the event he is hellbent on obtaining a search warrant. My wife & I have nothing to hide, but are both completely unwilling to ever let a cop search our vehicles. Again, it's your choice what to do with your rights. However, I would urge everyone to stand up for your rights because every time one of these LEOs violate our rights is one more step that emboldens said LEOs to continue to trample rights until they are gone due to indifference.

By far the most dangerous foe we have to fight is apathy - indifference from whatever cause, not from a lack of knowledge, but from carelessness, from absorption in other pursuits, from a contempt bred of self satisfaction
    as3.gif
    William Osler

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    No they do not get a commision. The agency itself stands to get a lot of cash on good busts. Some agency's get a ton of money with interdiction teams.

It doesn't even have to be a "bust." They'll take your property on mere suspicion and dare you to challenge them in court.

Gun Bunny

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    What I find odd is the fact that the officer said the car stays but the two occupants were free to go. What if the two left and the officer did find something, what then? How can they detain the car but not the people in the car?

Sorry for a stupid question, I just don't understand.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    This seems similar to the "PACE" team that patrols I-70 from Wayne County to Hancock County. I hear them on my ham radio all the time coordinating their stops. I know they recently purchased new vehicles, weapons and equipment from all of the money they have seized. This is a joint venture between the Richmond PD, Henry County Sheriff's Office and the Greenfield PD.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    It doesn't even have to be a "bust." They'll take your property on mere suspicion and dare you to challenge them in court.

There are a few things that I personally believe are wrong with the asset forfeiture laws. I do not really like the idea of cash being seized without charges and conviction unless the person in control of the cash claims no ownership/knowledge of it. In the majority of cash seizures I have seen that was the case.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Solution, maybe...? "No, you may not search my vehicle without probably cause and a warrant issued by a judge. It's in the Constitution."

I think a big problem for many people is they are intimidated by cops. The "if you have nothing to hide" mentality to give up your rights & allow law enforcement to do things that are in conflict with one's rights is a personal choice in the end. If you are sure you want to defend your rights, then be prepared to defend them with knowledge and the time the LEO may consume in the event he is hellbent on obtaining a search warrant. My wife & I have nothing to hide, but are both completely unwilling to ever let a cop search our vehicles. Again, it's your choice what to do with your rights. However, I would urge everyone to stand up for your rights because every time one of these LEOs violate our rights is one more step that emboldens said LEOs to continue to trample rights until they are gone due to indifference.

By far the most dangerous foe we have to fight is apathy - indifference from whatever cause, not from a lack of knowledge, but from carelessness, from absorption in other pursuits, from a contempt bred of self satisfaction
    as3.gif
    William Osler

If a cop wants to search my vehicle all they need do is ask. I don't care in the least. I don't have anything to hide and I will always cooperate.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    Can I search the Officer's vehicle? I helped pay for it.I know many good LEOs.Anyone should be able to see that this was a bad stop.Public record should show whether or not this man has recieved any reprimend for his behavior.Is he still employed in the same capacity?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    If a cop wants to search my vehicle all they need do is ask. I don't care in the least. I don't have anything to hide and I will always cooperate.

With you being a LEO, that's neither surprising nor a valid endorsement of the practice, especially considering that as soon as you make your profession known, your stop is more likely to come to an end with a "have a nice day and slow down".
    I don't like the fact that LEOs seem to be above traffic laws. I understand "professional courtesy", but I think it's misplaced when "some are more equal than others", and worse when that fact is flaunted openly.

It's not, after all, like I have a box of better treatments that only other medics get. I don't know what the solution is other than the individual officer doing what we do: "police your own". That means you hold yourself and your fellow officers to the absolute highest standard. Some officers seem to do that, but regretfully, not all. I consider it, among other descriptive terms, sad.

Blessings,
    Bill

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    A classic criminal interdiction stop. FWIW the driver was in fact throwing off a ton of indicators himself. By watching the stop and the driver I would have bet on something being found or the driver being wanted or something. Something there and just not found? Perhaps. The poster of the video did show his ignorance with all of his wild allegations, all of which were wrong BTW.

Worth noting is the officer actually did a quite professional job. This was not his first interdiction stop and I think it is safe to assume he gets a fair amount of criminals off the roads.
    Then this proves the fallacy of "indicators". The poster of the video made no "wild allegations". He simply pointed out how his rights were being trampled on and that he had little or no recourse. Just a day in the life of an American Citizen.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    With you being a LEO, that's neither surprising nor a valid endorsement of the practice, especially considering that as soon as you make your profession known, your stop is more likely to come to an end with a "have a nice day and slow down".
    I don't like the fact that LEOs seem to be above traffic laws. I understand "professional courtesy", but I think it's misplaced when "some are more equal than others", and worse when that fact is flaunted openly.

It's not, after all, like I have a box of better treatments that only other medics get. I don't know what the solution is other than the individual officer doing what we do: "police your own". That means you hold yourself and your fellow officers to the absolute highest standard. Some officers seem to do that, but regretfully, not all. I consider it, among other descriptive terms, sad.

Blessings,
    Bill

Very well said!:yesway:

It is sad.

I guess if you want your rights intact and your property not seized, you have to become some kind of police officer.

insanemonkey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Lake County

If you want to allow a cop to search your vehicle then that is your right. But not allowing an officer to search your vehicle does not infer guilt. Treating people like they are criminals before proven is a dangerous game to play.

I appreciate the service that cops provide. However we need to move away from the thought that people are hiding something or that the ends justifies the means. Trampling on innocent peoples rights just to find a few criminals is plain wrong. I would much rather let a few more criminals go then eliminate the rights we are supposed to enjoy in this country. Freedom has a price and I am willing to pay it.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    Okay so someone clarify this for me. Couldn't this man have refused to allow the K-9 to be walked around his car just like he refused to give consent to a search of the car? I mean after all the K-9 walking around the car is in itself a search isn't it? :dunno:

I'm not debating that it would have done him any good in this case considering this JBT was dead set on searching this car from the start but from a legal standpoint?

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    1) The cop says, "gee you seem nervous to me".
    2) I'll have the dog sweep your car since you're nervous, plus coming from a Star Trek convention indicates to me that you're a mental defective.
    3) Oh boy, the dog sat when I told him to, indicating to me that there's drugs in the car, especially with the way the winds blowing to the front of the car, off camera incidentally.
    4) now I have to search your car.

Great comedy routine all starting with "you look nervous". This guy knows what he's doing and is very fast about it.

Top Bottom