• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • praff

Sharpshooter
    Sep 26, 2009
    I am thinking outside the box a little on this one. I am trying a few ideas I have had rolling around in my head and we are gonna see how it shoots and how different combinations affect the shootability. This will be a USPSA open gun in 9 major when it is finished. I am going to build it in a couple different configurations and probably with two complete top ends. I won't quite divulge exactly what I am doing just yet as that will come as this thread moves along. So on to the build...

I am starting with an extra wide and extra heavy frame on this build. That will be coupled with what starts out as a government slide from Tripp Research. This top end is being built on the prototype KKM hybrid commander length threaded barrel with .355 short chamber. I will probably build another top end on a similar barrel that is not quite government length. Compensator used for testing/evaluation will be the 9/38 comp from Binary Engineering. At this point, testing will be mostly subjective with some slow motion footage for flip and return to zero after recoil.

Here we go......

Frame and slide have been fit. Both have been cut on the surface grinder (love that piece of equipment). This is literally right off the surface grinder and two or three strokes with a stone to deburr edges.

2ljhsma.jpg

2dso8xf.jpg

Here is an in progress shot of cutting the slot in the slide for the island barrel.

20rojo4.jpg

And here is a shot after the island cut.

34xfa0l.jpg

Barrel has been fit and slide has been cut back to the end of the island plus a .003" clearance for comp.

29ynrer.jpg

Weight of the slide prior to any lightening

ayqbkh.jpg

Last edited:

praff

Sharpshooter
    Sep 26, 2009
    A little late night blending action. Safetys fit to frame and frame, grip, beavertai cut for high grip and blended nicely. On to some small parts like ejector, fp stop and extractor fitting. Full day today and should make good progress.

5w9wew.png

5z35sp.jpg

2n0riqf.jpg

praff

Sharpshooter
    Sep 26, 2009
    Ok ejector has been fit and cut. .003 clearance on all sides. This is a nice little detail that you don’t see on many 2011’s or raceguns. The more I do this, the more my OCD kicks in.

BTW, math makes my head hurt.

2q87e6c.jpg

2howmqg.jpg

ji0wsn.jpg

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Mar 30, 2011
    I vote for more pics, less math. :)

Looks awesome. (Not the math.)

praff

Sharpshooter
    Sep 26, 2009
    Busy day!!!!

flattop, rear lightening cuts, extractor prepped, ingnition parts cut and polished, guide rod relieved.

And.....a little brand recognition for the irish lover in you (or not, lol).

2eo8m5h.jpg

oqg3o8.jpg

24lvksx.jpg

praff

Sharpshooter
    Sep 26, 2009
    Ive been too busy to update this thread, but here is a video of trigger pull. Pull breaks at about 1lb 12oz. It’s not necessarily the break that makes a great competition trigger job. It is the reset that separates a good one from an outstanding one. The reset can’t get any better in this one.

[video=youtube_share;OZ3AAuAccrk]https://youtu.be/OZ3AAuAccrk[/video]

praff

Sharpshooter
    Sep 26, 2009
    I have been waaaaaaay to busy to update this thread, but much progress has been made. The whole concept behind this project is to maximize non-reciprocating weight while minimizing reciprocating weight. This is done all the time on raceguns to facilitate flatter shooting. This project is attempting to take that to the another level. Many things have been done across the industry to try to take advantage of this. Tungsten barrel sleeving, island style barrels, sight blocks, etc. My spin on it is to combine a couple techniques. Nothing really earth shattering new here from a proprietary standpoint, but as far as I know or can tell, no one has tried to add a sight block to a island style barrel. Other than adding weight, there is no reason to. There may be a reason no one has combined a sight block and hybrid barrel....it may not work LOL. It just might be too much weight in the barrel to get reliable function.

So, after quite a bit of learning over the last week, things are progressing. Here are a few pics of me getting the weight fabricated and starting down the testing road. Keep in mind, this isn't pretty yet, it is just a prototype and crude at best.

Started out with 1 1/2" bar stock

2mrig6c.jpg

Starting to turn down diameter to accept threads for compensator

1688p41.jpg

Diameter turned down, bored out to pass bullet, threaded on outside for compensator

akem3k.jpg

Cutting to long length to work on threads to attach to barrel

30bix5l.jpg

Boring out to proper diameter to accept threads for barrel

o9llc0.jpg

Threaded bar stock complete, laying out cuts for relief for frame, reverse plug, and guide rod

10wkxza.jpg

Profiling bar stock to work in frame

2enrbs0.jpg

2cr5ybt.jpg

2ekr8ls.jpg

And....eventually I made it to here

2r74q9t.jpg

k96h3b.jpg

riverman67

Master
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I know just enough about open guns to be dangerous :)
    But I'm thinking if that thing will run it isn't going to move in recoil much at all
    You just might be on to the next hotness

praff

Sharpshooter
    Sep 26, 2009
    I know just enough about open guns to be dangerous :)
    But I'm thinking if that thing will run it isn't going to move in recoil much at all
    You just might be on to the next hotness

That's the idea Jeff!!!

I have been playing with recoil springs, firing pin stop profiles, different weight mainsprings. I am pulling out every trick I know on this one in an effort to get a reliable, fullly functional pistol.

praff

Sharpshooter
    Sep 26, 2009
    Oh man this slide came out purdy!!!!

[video=youtube_share;uf5qiWtcaoY]https://youtu.be/uf5qiWtcaoY[/video]

praff

Sharpshooter
    Sep 26, 2009
    I haven't updated this thread in a while, so here is the latest. The prototype open gun didn't quite pan out as I had hoped. I learned a lot during the project, but with a compensator robbing a little rearward energy, it just wouldn't function reliably with the added weight. So ultimately, we mounted a steel compensator rather than the normal titanium version. Even though it didn't pan out the way I had hoped, the learning experience was invaluable and it definitely will be applied to my custom builds moving forward. Here is the final pics of what we settled on for the build. The shooter will ultimately decide what compensator he wants to run, as this one isn't the most efficient model out there. The gun is staying in the white until I get a chance to fit another top end (mid length-4.6") and we decide on a final comp design.

9r83de.jpg

xankgk.jpg

2pounva.jpg

141rtz9.jpg

Top Bottom